Wednesday, July 26, 2006

131. Sunrise

Mairi powered her journal with a slight pause of her blue eyes before the retinal scan, light-scribe in hand. The slight hum of the slate coming to life was relaxing as her quarters glowed with the soft greenish light. Resting her feet on her desk, she melted into her Penusian leather lumchair with a slow deep breath. These moments alone, in the quiet sanctuary of her own quarters, with only the silent echoes of her own thoughts and the gentle hum of her slate were to Mairi like gold.

Few still used the old tech, preferring voice entry, but Mairi appreciated tradition and the heft of a handmade scribe in her sensitive hand. Scribe to slate just seemed right, felt right. Writing, she mused, was a whole body experience, an expression as much of the corporal as the cerebral, for how could one separate one from the other. To exclude the hand and the eye, without due cause of course, was to exclude a part of one’s self and she would have none of it.

Normally, words flowed; and normally, she preferred not to be disturbed while she allowed her thoughts to flow from mind to hand to slate, with the possible exception of a visit from Goldie with a warm cup of snizzle. Tonight, however, her handmade scribe, a gift from her eldest uncle, felt leaden and cold. Unable to craft her nightly missal, Mairi clicked back to yesterday’s entry.

Morning broke, as it always does in space, no different from night or afternoon or any other time for that matter. My morning wakeup call, a gently illuminating blue light. I could have chosen any color, and perhaps someday I will, but for now, the soft cool blue light most helps me forget--sunrise.

I never much cared for sunrises back home. They were always there for the taking, whenever I wanted. I could, on any day, walk the short distance to the beach, in the quiet solitude of dawn, and allow the warm golden rays to cleanse my soul of the sins of yesterday. Because I could, on any given day, whenever I wanted, I didn’t. Treasures ignored and neglected by my blind eyes, which for now live only in my manufactured memories of what could have been. My shoulders ache in silent pulsing agony with a burden my mind refuses to put down.

I feel tired. I feel lonely. I feel isolated. I didn’t fit . . .

“Mairi, may I come in,” asked Kyra, interrupting Mairi’s reading. “There is a rather urgent matter I need to discuss.”

“By all means Kyra,” responded Mairi, unlocking the door to her quarters. “Please come in. I wasn’t much getting anywhere with my journaling tonight.”

“Well, I think all that is about to change. Our special guests would like a private audience with you. Seems they believe you have a unique and useful gift,” said Kyra. She let the words hang lightly in the subtle tension of the unknown. Did Mairi have a gift; did she know she had it; was she holding out on the rest of the crew? For that matter, thought Kyra, what do I really know about anyone on board? Do I know my crew, or do I know just the facades they project.

“Kyra?

“Oh, yes Mairi. Sorry, just lost in thought with all the developments of late. May I ask you a personal question?”

“Sure.”

“Do you have any idea what this gift may be?”

The normally relaxed look on Mairi’s face faded away. The conversation was moving to a new plane and it felt intoxicating. Kyra had never shown much interest in getting to know her and to be asked such a personal question, one-on-one, was flattering and frightening. What if she gave the wrong answer; and, what exactly would be the right answer, what did Kyra want to hear. And, why, she wondered, were there so many “ands” in her mind that refused to be ignored; “and” why did she care, care what Kyra thought, why did she need to want to please, to give the right answer, to be accepted and liked and wanted and loved on this ship? It was a need or was it a desire or could the two be intertwined.

“Mairi?” interrupted Kyra as they both broke out in laughter. “Seems we both are a little distracted tonight.”

“Yeah, not every day aliens invade your ship and single you out as important. But to answer your question, I have a confession to make. I am …”

Before Mairi could finish the ship’s warning alarms drowned out her words. “Hold on to that thought, I think we better get to the bridge.”

Categories: Story, Mairi, Kyra

36 comments:

Anonymous said...

Just enough to keep us on the edge of our seats. Good job Trée!

And the image, wow; the colors are so rich!

Trée said...

The sunrise in Mairi's mind. The one that torments her, that teases with touches of what could have been. :-)

Thanks Deb. I wonder what those warning bells are all about. :-D

Anonymous said...

Hi there Tree,

This is Rhiannon, do you remember me? I have a new blog addy so if you just click on my name it will take you there. I'm having a "Stop The War" Blog Protest and "Love and Peace" Rally on my Blog now, so I hope you will feel free to drop by and contribute with a comment.

With Angel Blessings,

Rhi

Anonymous said...

I just love settling in to read the newest chapter... and they are always given in such small, teasing bites. Makes me remember when my Mother used to read to us as children... Island of the Blue Dolphins, Ishi, Last of the Mohicans, Diary of Anne Frank, etc. She would only read one or two chapters after dinner, and then put the book away. I often would look for the book, to read the next chapter on the sly, but I never found her private hiding place.

Trée said...

Rhi, how could I forget the one with angel blessings. :-)

Trée said...

Thanks Terry. So glad to see you enjoying the story, even in the very small bites I've been serving lately. I was out riding my bike today, in the heat, and I thought of you and not having air conditioning. I honestly don't know how you make it without air in the temps you guys have been having. Of course, you can always look at those wonderful pics of Iceland for a little mental relief. :-)

Thanks as always for the kind words. Sounds like you had a wise and wonderful mother. A bit sneaky, but wise and wonderful. :-D

Anonymous said...

Great Frac. well twisted, I'll figure it out, sometime. Glad Oliviah jumped on ya, to get you going again. :P

Trée said...

Thanks DJB. Yeah, what can I say, she spanked me good; and, I'm not ashamed to admit it felt good. :-D

Anonymous said...

Sunrises mean so much especially when shared.

Yes, sunrises are wonderful. The best ones are the sort that you share with someone you love. I never get tired of them.

Excuse me while I get all sentimental ;-) (This Canasta (sherry) is strong stuff!)

As always, the frac is totally fabulous! Nice to see you about Mr T :-)

Anonymous said...

Oh, that was sooo good.......*sigh of deep pleasure*

Trée, I get totally lost in this story--within the very first few words. It's almost magical. My surroundings completely disappear, I no longer hear the television in the other room--nothing exists but the story.

And then--I feel almost surprised when it's over. It is almost like suddenly waking up when each post comes to a close. I think it surprises me each time just how much I get engrossed in this story.

Thank you so much for sharing this gift with us.

Anonymous said...

Hi sweetie!! Miss me??!! Smiles!

I've missed you and your wicked ways my darlin... ;-D I am sooo ready for a T fix! Lol.

I do love the sunrise!

Trée said...

Leigh, you need to tell me the next time you are going to have a sherry or two. I would be happy to join you my dear, sunrise, sunset or moonlight. :-)

As always, thanks for the very kind words. Come to Tennessee and we'll go for an early morning ride in the mountains. We'll leave about thirty minutes before dawn to get out of town and into the countryside. Bring your camera for the memories and prepare to get breathless. :-)

Trée said...

Oliviah, I've read your comment three times now and I think I'll read it three more. Wow, I can't tell you how motivating feedback like your comment is. Can I say wow again. :-)

I am so happy to see you enjoying the story. You know, I never knew what a fractal was until I stumbled upon your blog those many months ago. If I hadn't been so impressed with your work, and with your guidance as to where to download and start doing my own, there would be no story. No fractals, no story. No Oliviah, no fractals, no story. Without you, my dear, none of this would be here today. You are the origin, the source from which it all flows.

By the way, I was tickled to death to see the three comments in a row you left this morning. I detected a playfulness I don't think I've seen before and in that playfulness I see much joy. Thanks so much for sharing some of your joy with me today. Sweet dreams when you get that far. :-)

Trée said...

Hey Y! Are you back from Jamaica? I hope the trip, the ocean, the cabana boys have all given you inspiration to further delight the eye and mind with those incredible sensual postings you are famous for. I've been feeling very, very wicked in a very, very naughty sort of way lately. See what happens when you are gone too long. :-D

Anonymous said...

Ummm, yes! Maybe I should go out of town more often!?!! Hmmm, where to next? Lol.

Jamaica was very lovely... I was labeled as the "mysterious redheaded goddess." It was the first time I've vacationed alone and I loved it... I teased their curiousity day and night... Though I must say, my imagination was much naughtier than I!! ;-D

Anonymous said...

What sweet things you said. I am blushing and smiling. You are too kind. And you were quite tolerant of my mischieviousness today! ;) I think now would be a good time for me to close my eyes for the night--I imagine I will be smiling in my sleep.

I look at all the people you touch and think, my how he warms so many people's hearts...how many, many people he must give the gift of a smile they can't wipe off their face. Nite sweet man,

Hugs and smooches~~

Anonymous said...

I love to hear confessions ;-)

Keshi.

Anonymous said...

Thanks for this post. It is simply wonderful! Can't wait to see what happens next (as usual). There is now a groove where the edge of my seat used to be due to your story :)

Trée said...

Jenni, I cannot be held responsible for carpentry repairs induced as a result of reading the story. :-D

As always, your encouragement and support is greatly appreciated. :-)

Trée said...

Kehsi, I've got a feeling you would be dynamite in the confessional. Just the thought is almost enough to lead me to the preisthood. That celibacy thing, however, is a problem though. :-D

Trée said...

Awww, Oliviah, such kind and sweet thoughts can only come from a kind and sweet soul, which I have no doubt is what I would find inside your heart.

Have a day filled with wonder and delight with a little joy thrown in for good measure. :-)

Trée said...

Y, I say bring it on. Perhaps your next trip should be to the mountains. Fireplace, cabin, seclusion, maybe a little snowfall. I think I know of a place. Let me know when you are ready. Oh, and pack light. You won't need much for what I have in mind. :-D

Anonymous said...

Wow - I don't know if its the post or the absence, but there sure seems to be a lot of sexual energy around this place! Thats a credit it to you Tree, you stir it up in us all :)

have a great day!

Trée said...

Meg, whatever are you talking about? Moi? Sexual energy on my blog? Really? LMAO. I don't think I would blog without it. Isn't it the source of life, of all that is good and bad and nice and naughty?

So, you have to ask yourself, are you nice today, or naughty? :-D

Thanks for your sincere and kind comments Meg. Always appreciated my friend. :-)

Anonymous said...

Strange, but I'm not even sure what to say today. :-) There's a quiet, soft feel to this chapter that we haven't seen in a while, and this is in spite of those warning bells at the end and it being cut short so to speak. The drifting off into memory and thought must create that effect, or Mairi in herself, probably both. Anyways, as always, a chapter to delight. Beautifully done.

Trée said...

I've been wanting to write in first person, so the idea of the journal came to mind to let me play in that vein. Mairi is very introspective and at times very sure of herself but at other times, like in this chapter, not sure at all of who she is, which causes her to question almost everything.

I think being a child of the shells but not knowing what made her such, has really played with her mind and her sense of identity. Mairi is a soft sorta Hynerian. She likes the finer things and appreciates subtlety. She might even appreciate someone who can spell. :-D

Trée said...

Oh, and keep in mind, as evidenced by both Mairi and Kyra having trouble staying focused, the crew is under great pressure and uncertainty. No one knows where this is heading or what fate has in store for them in uncharted territory caught inbetween two civilizations at war; and, now, it seems, they are going to be in the middle of it.

Anonymous said...

You mastered the cliffhangar many, many chapters ago and as always you have executed it perfectly. Darnit ;-)

As for Mairi, she spoke loud from the drawing, something about those eyes - and as if that wasn't enough to evoke intrigue about this final character (to join the curiosity and interest surrounding the other 7 :) lots of detail of the 'still rivers'-type in these last couple of chapters makes for hard waiting - very much looking forward to the next chapter. :-)

Wishing you a wonderful weekend! xoxo

Trée said...

Well, you know, if I didn't have to produce a piece of art to go with each chapter I could move this story along alot faster. :-D

Although, I do have to say, I love the sense of anticipation, the waiting, the wondering what will happen next. ;-)

As always sweetest, your kind words and thoughtful responses are most appreciated and greatly missed. Is it the weekend already? :-)

Anonymous said...

I just need to find me a little pic of a happy girl sittin munchin popcorn reading a story, I could just use it with every new chapter :0)

excellent as always darlin, great frac too!

Hope you are managing to stay cool

Anonymous said...

Ummm, oh my! Don't you tempt me T... I might just take you up on that! ;-D

Oh, and don't worry, I always travel light...Silk and lace is all I need! *Wink*

Anonymous said...

**Just the thought is almost enough to lead me to the preisthood.

ROFL Tre! :):)

we can make minor adjustments to that 'celibacy' thing. haha!

Keshi.

Trée said...

Keshi, you can make any adjustments to me you feel necessary. :-D

Trée said...

Silk and lace. What more does a woman need? :-D

Don't answer that. Oh, and make sure that lace is black Y. :-)

Trée said...

Thanks Trace. Careful now, too much popcorn can have an adverse effect on the digestive system. I'm just saying . . . :-)

Anonymous said...

:0)