Friday, July 07, 2006

125. Touch Me

[Editor's Note: This chapter directly precedes the Torpedoes post.]


“Yul, come on in,” said Kyra. “What do I owe the pleasure of this visit?”

Yul smiled, awkwardly. “Just wanted to say hi and check on an old friend. Haven’t had a chance to talk to you since before—“

“It’s okay,” interjected Kyra.

“I’m not worried about ‘it,’ responded Yul. I don’t know what happened in that room but Rog, well, he hasn’t been the same. How are you doing sweetie? Are you the same? Are you okay?”

“I’m fine.”

Yul’s big pale blue eyes didn’t waver.

“Really, I’m okay. Would you like some snizzle?”

“Fine? Really? Oh I can see that,” said Yul, ignoring the question with raised brow. “You put yourself with open wounds in direct contact with the animus virus, you have some sort of other-worldly experience that knocks you into a coma for the better part of two weeks. You wake to learn the love of your life, who you tried to save, is dead and the rest of the crew has held his service, without you. Why wouldn’t you be just fine.”

Kyra sighed. “Come here my friend. Give me your hands. What would you have me do?”

“Break down and cry. Throw some things, break a few others. Yell at me. Show some emotion for crying out loud. Aren’t you pissed? Bitter? Angry? Mad as hellocks?”

“At who?”

“Fate. Life. Us. The virus. This ship has seven Hynerians left on it. Only three are male. One is old enough to be your father. One is still wet behind the ears. And the third, well, he’s spoken for. You had your love and he’s gone and the chance of you ever having that again is virtually nil. I don’t mean to be harsh Kyra but I’m just not buying the fine bit. I saw your hands.”

“Be careful with making assumptions,” winked Kyra. “You look quite sexy when you get your ire up. I can see what Rog sees in you. Such brilliant blue eyes that sparkle in the starlight. Are you sure I can’t get you some snizzle? Perhaps with a little snoot? Goldie?”

“Coming right up Kyra. I took the liberty,” purred Goldie.

“Thanks Goldie. Make mine without.”

“Frail that,” said Yul. “Goldie, add her shot in mine.”

“So how is Rog?”

“Different, but I didn’t come here to talk about Rog or let you change the subject with a touch of humor. I’m serious Kyra. Talk to me. What happened in that room? What did Rog see that he can’t or won’t explain? Even you, sitting here now, look somehow different.”

“Really? How?”

“Well, your demeanor doesn’t fit. You look as calm and relaxed as can be. Under the circumstances I would say you’re either insane, on meds, or completely entrenched in denial. What did Trev give you?”

“Drink your snoot Yul. Your mind could use a little grease to ease the grip it has on your imagination. Now, have I told you how lovely you look tonight? Did you bring your toothbrush?”

“Oh my Janus girl. You’re wiggin, not very well I might add, but I like it,” smiled Yul, letting her fingernail trace its way up Kyra’s arm. “Are you sure you want me to take advantage of you in this state? You know, I’ve never had a lover who didn’t want more. I could make you forget there ever was an opposite sex.”

“Oh Yul, I have no doubt of that,” said Kyra as she leaned in close, her eyes just inches from Yul’s. “But there is one thing I need to tell you.”

“Kyra,” interrupted Goldie.

“Not now Goldie.”

“Kyra, there is an urgent request from the bridge for your presence. Rog said something about visitors.”

“Tell him I’m on my way.”

Categories: Story, Yul, Kyra, Goldie

20 comments:

Anonymous said...

The well of your creativity runs oh so deep.

Im so glad to have you as part of my blogging community.

Trée said...

Kel, those are some mighty fine words there and I love each and every one of them. :-)

I thought the story you posted today was brilliant and I'm so glad you shared it. Now if I can just take the lesson to heart.

Have a great weekend Kel.

Anonymous said...

This fractal is so pretty, and I hope Portugal loses to Germany. ;)
And I hope those gals crazy over Ronaldo the diver can go have their eyes checked (bristle bristle bristle)

Anonymous said...

Yay! The story is back! The perfect end to a perfect Saturday :) Can't wait to see where you take this. Am loving every minute of the ride.

Trée said...

Hey Saffy, I'm all with you on Germany. Besides, I think Ronaldo just got lucky on that kick--just pure luck. :-D

Thanks for the kind words on the image. This one has an interesting appeal, a bit of mystery, a bit of history, and just plain purdy. :-)

Trée said...

Thanks Jenni. Felt good getting back into the story. I had forgotten how much I enjoyed the story and living through my characters. Thanks for the sweet words. Have a great weekend. :-)

Anonymous said...

Hiya Trée, glad to come back to more of your story!

...oh, and another beautiful and colorful fractal.

:)

Trée said...

Thanks Deb. I feel the same way about the story. Like seeing an old friend again. :-)

Anonymous said...

My, oh, my. :-) "Limitless" does fit you perfectly, just when I think I may actually be able to catch up somehow, somehow start to guess a little which road you might head down, there you go again with the whiplash. Part of that today is just my joy at seeing the story back. Skimmed your comments the other day about missing your characters and knew we would be in for a treat soon.
Group woohoo! :-) I missed them too.
Gosh, the possibilities as always are endless, such multifaceted characters you have not to mention all the action that goes on. I would not be surprised, if this became a never-ending story, I'd be pleased actually :-)
Seriously, good to see a little more of Yul, what you gave us so far was so tantilizing and all you've done is add to that, wetting the appetite even more, to learn even more.
For someone like me, who always reads books in single settings - I just have to know what happens a.s.a.p. - this has been rather interesting, good fun though, and a lesson in patience :-)
What else can I say other than once again I am amazed at your flawlessness - weeks have passed and yet you are able to pick up as if it were yesterday, same tone, same everything. Fabulous come-back! Looking forward to much, much more.

PS Hope you're having a great day, xo

Trée said...

Sunshine, your comments are always so motivating for me. So glad to bring a little sunshine your way.

Yul is a very interesting character and this little twist, or new information, about her makes her that much more interesting in my mind. Would Kyra take a walk on that side? I guess time will tell. Then again, these are not humans, they're Hynerians and we really don't know the sexual mores of their kind. Perhaps going both ways is the norm. :-)

Looks like Bravo-Four-Zero is going to have some visitors. How much fun is that. :-D

Thanks my dear, as always, for your so very kind comments. Very much appreciated.

Anonymous said...

wow, bbb. that was so hawt. :)

Trée said...

Glad you enjoyed it bbb. :-)

I think hawt is my new favorite word. :-D

Anonymous said...

Touches Tre...

Keshi.

Trée said...

Ooooh, do it again, do it again. :-D

Thanks for the touch my dear sweet angel. Anytime. :-)

Anonymous said...

I'm glad you're back to writing the story. I've enjoyed reading the last two chapters.

Trée said...

Thanks Karen. I wasn't sure how many were still reading the story so it's nice to know. Glad to hear you're enjoying it. :-)

Anonymous said...

I'm so happy you are continuing the story. Have missed the crew and company.

Trée said...

Thanks Terry. Good to have you back. Sounds like you had a great time overseas. Can't wait to see those fabulous photos from Iceland.

Trée said...

Testing the zero comment showing error. My hope is with this posting of a comment, the other older comments will reappear. Fingers crossed.

Trée said...

Testing a second time. First posting of a comment did not show nor did the older comments reappear.