Thursday, July 13, 2006

128. On My Way

Mairi sat in her quarters staring at her shell collection. Outside of Von, she was the least known crew member. Not so much because she stayed to herself like Von, but more so because she seemed reluctant to reveal very much about herself. One always had the feeling there was more to Mairi than she was ever willing or perhaps able to admit.

Older than Emy but younger than Kyra and Yul, Mairi had striking red hair, cropped short, and deep blue eyes. She spoke in soft and inviting tones with perfectly nuanced articulation. Her bearing bespoke an upper class background and one assumed a private education. There was just something about her eyes; no one could quite say what, but something about her look that communicated a deeper intelligence than she appeared willing to reveal. Whether she was seen as humble or aloof depended on who you asked. Everyone, however, agreed she was likeable, a certain subtle edge notwithstanding.

She had been told she was a child of the shells, but not even the best doctors could deduce her unique defect or ability. Not knowing tormented her. She never felt completely at home with the “normal” kids nor did the other children of the shells completely welcome her since no one knew exactly what made her different. She lived in no-man’s land. Was she or wasn’t she? The question alone never strayed far from her mind. As she grew older, she avoided the subject and few knew why she seemed melancholy more times than not.

When the crew learned that Kieran was a child of the shells, that he had two hearts, Mairi had to conceal her excitement. Perhaps there was someone else on board she could confide in, could share with, someone who might understand with eye, ear and heart. Kieran, like her, came from an upper class background and private education. She felt a certain comfort, a kinship in his presence. Perhaps, she thought, he could be the missing piece, the piece that could end her doubt. Perhaps he could be the harbor she sought, the place where she felt safe and at home.

In a way, she shared Kyra’s sense of regret. Shy by nature, she had wanted to visit Kieran in the iso ward, but had been unable to summon the strength to approach Trev. She struggled to forgive herself after he died and the opportunity had forever slipped away.

Her melancholy had grown with the passing of Kieran but no one on board noticed. Between Kyra’s coma and the vortex taking them into uncharted territory, Mairi had simply faded into the background. The chapel had become a second home for her. If her red hair and blue eyes were not so striking, she could have easily been totally forgotten. All that was about to change.

“Mairi, your presence is requested in the Grand Conference room,” intoned the onboard computer.

“On my way.”

Categories: Story, Mairi, Shells

19 comments:

Trée said...

Mairi is the eighth and final member of Bravo-Four-Zero. Peace.

Anonymous said...

The plot thickens. This is another amazing post. Am so happy that you are back to the story :)

Anonymous said...

Well Trée, I'm finding Mairi quite interesting. Looking forward to reading more about her. I too, am glad to see more of your story. I really enjoyed the current segments.

Trée said...

Thanks Jenni. The plot does indeed thicken. I wonder just what special abilities Mairi has? :-)

Trée said...

Thanks Deb. I think Mairi is going to be a lot of fun. :-)

Anonymous said...

You've been busy, just caught up. I think Mairi is adding a lot to the story, but don't we need a sexy man too? LOL ;-) It's great the way it is, really, I'm just teasing.

*HUGS* to you and Jack! I'll be on vacation for almost 10 days so I'll catch up with you when I get back.

Trée said...

Karen, I'll see what I can do. :-D

Have a wonderful time on vacation. I'm enjoying your beautiful state and gorgeous mountains. Looks like another perfect day today. :-)

Anonymous said...

**Her melancholy had grown with the passing of Kieran

yeah melancholy can only grow when u love someone truly and miss em terribly...

Keshi.

Anonymous said...

Great, amazing post. I am really liking this angle too. There's always a story behind the story...I wonder sometimes how much we are learning about the writer as well as the characters as we go... :)

have a great weekend!

Trée said...

Oh Meg, you are a woman after my own heart and incredibly perceptive. For those that want to look and have the eyes to see, I think I reveal much more about myself in this story than anything else I ever post. This allows the reader to go under the hood of my mind and in the backdoor of my soul. I can communicate through the story in ways that would be impossible in any other form of prose.

Thank you my dear for warming my soul this morning with such a wonderful and brilliant comment. Peace to you this weekend. And some fun too. :-D

PS: I'm not any one of the characters but there is a little bit of me in every single one of them. Put bits and pieces of all the characters together and you'll get the most complete picture of me that is possible from a blog. Exactly what bits and pieces, I'm not telling. :-D

Anonymous said...

I want to go home! I want to go home where my comp is close to hand and I can check back here several times a day in anticipation of your next post!
In just a few short paragraphs, you've evoked such great curiosity. I like Mairi already and am so very eager to hear more - proof, as if we needed more, of just how great a writer/story-teller you are!!
Abso*lutely Brilliant Chapter! :-)

Trée said...

Sunshine, I like Mairi too. She is just a little different from all the rest and I think adds to the depth of characters within the story.

As always, thanks for your very kind words. :-)

Anonymous said...

She had been told she was a child of the shells, but not even the best doctors could deduce her unique defect or ability. Not knowing tormented her. She never felt completely at home with the “normal” kids nor did the other children of the shells completely welcome her since no one knew exactly what made her different.

You have describe someone we all can identify with on some level in some way. How could we not want to know her better?

Trée said...

Liz, I relate to this part of Mairi very much. It educates who she is as much as her DNA. I'm curious too to see what we learn about her. Good to see you my friend. :-)

Anonymous said...

Oh is it good to read your story again after a day or so! I am amazed by how much I missed it.

Meg is right, maybe more than even you realize you show. You are the beautiful story underneath the story. How nice it is that you share that with us.

Trée said...

Oliviah, I do so love to read your comments and to know you are reading the story. I've been searching for an image that I think represents Mairi and I finally found it today. She was hiding in a Hairflair & Beauty magazine. :-D

Hugs and kisses my dear sweet woman. Thanks again for your very warm and very nice comments. Very much appreciated. :-)

Anonymous said...

Reminds me of some of the facades of the remaining 1930s-40s "movie palaces" and Broadway theaters we have here in NY.

Trée said...

I'll have to check those out. This image is suppose to represent a zoomed in view of a Hynerian shell from Mairi's collection. Thanks for stopping by Jack. Good to see you again.

Autumn Storm said...

Often those threads that bind one chapter to another somewhere up ahead are easily seen (remembered). The suggestion here of something about her eyes and the chapter later that announces she spent months of training on just her eyes. :-)

We've seen, I realize now, so much of Mairi since this first mention of her, is very interesting to read this chapter again in light of what we have since learned/seen of her. Most notable her feelings of being outside of both circles, not feeling that she belonged properly to either one not knowing what her unique defect or ability was. Perhaps this is why she choose the path that she did, to have a reason she could touch to be outside of the 'normal' circles and to find one that she belonged to.

I'll not forget the things I have read here today, when I see her again. In particular her hope that Kieran might have provided the port she was looking for.