Monday, December 17, 2007

396. Circle Unbroken


Ceru looked incredulously at Zeke as the old hynerian stood without moving, expecting, apparently, an answer. A thousand responses ran through his head, each seemingly less skillful than the one before. Zeke was wrong, that much was clear, but the Tao seemed to be wrong about what he was wrong about and how did one tell a ninth order Tao he was projecting and, in the projection, confused and ignorant of the facts?

His father took the mission not to repay the debt. The two, father and son, had sat down, discussed the matter of Hyneria and the mission as adults, and both had concluded the right thing to do was to accept the honor of protecting a bright Hynerian hope, to play a role in keeping the species alive, to have a chance to have an impact on life to come just as he (Ceru) would have a chance to have an impact on the life that was to die.

He had promised his dad he would honor the family name, honor him, by giving aid and succor, by showing compassion for those left behind. It never occurred to him his promise would start with the great hynerian himself. So instead of correcting Zeke, of telling him he was wrong about his father's motives, that he was wrong with regard to the pain he had inflicted, he took a higher path. The heart that was hurting was neither Ceru's nor Von's as much, as was clear now, Zeke's. Zeke was the one that was crushed by his separation with Kyra, of sending her alone into the inky dark coldness of the unforgiving cosmos.


"Sir, I forgive you."

Zeke searched Ceru's face as the two seemed to communicate in glances. Arms opened, as they had a long time ago on a planet far away, and the circle closed, as compassion, once given to the father, was repaid by the son.

Soundtrack for this chapter: Let It Be

8 comments:

Autumn Storm said...

how did one tell a ninth order Tao he was projecting and in the projection confused and ignorant of the facts?

The observation deters nothing from Papa and adds to Ceru, adds to Papa too to understand that in his separation he has confused himself of the facts. What a fine circle this is of compassion, of love, of the opportunity taken to teach by showing. As unforgettable as the first embrace was for the reasons that it was, so too without doubt will be this one. Brilliant quite simply!

Trée said...

Not my best writing, but it gets the point across. ;-)

When I finished this one, all I had left was a sigh. This chapter felt heavy to me. Not sure why. I think it was hard to see Zeke this way, hard knowing all the Papa/Kyra chapters to think that of all the "dock stories" he may have had the hardest time letting go.

Miladysa said...

"This chapter felt heavy to me"

This chapter reminded me of the 'parenting a parent' scenario.

When you realise that none of us is perfect - that includes Zeke ;]

Trée said...

Miladysa, when you put it like that, you make me smile. I'm sure Papa would be smiling too. :-D

Autumn Storm said...

Reading this again tonight it is just as wonderful. :-) Much respect to Ceru (I'm wondering now what he looks like:), when one thinks of what we have seen of him thus far, he is in a word a remarkable Hynerian. We've seen him through his father's eyes and we have seen his love for his father in the undertaking of the letters, but here - and this is without re-reading the dock scene - we see him from the inside out and we understand that his father's pride has reason beyond that of his being his son (so to speak). I so hope that we see more of Ceru, that the chapters ahead, if such chapters exist that tell of the mission, will give us the chance to get closer to him. Admire so how chapters link to each other through time, their time, ours, this is not the first time it has been so and each time it has yielded particularly noteworthy chapters. The idea of a circle of compassion being completed is genius, in its simplicity, the imagery of it, the meaning of it, more so for the fact that as said above the circle spans time, that it is in parts, the third there yet not present.

That the two of them should have discussed the matter (Ceru and Von) so rationally, analytically, making plans, seeing the bigger picture, understanding the opportunity. The opening of doors as they acknowledge the closing of others. I'm in awe of the two of them, as individuals, of their relationship.

I remember words you wrote somewhere, that Papa dedicated his life to nurturing Kyra and for all that he may know, for all that he may see, it is extremely endearing, heartbreaking at the same time, to think that what you write here might very well be true.

I had intentions of writing a better comment, for this chapter was gorgeous, in the same way that sinking one's teeth into a juicy piece of fruit is gorgeous.

Crossing my fingers for more Ceru. :-) Happy day, x

Trée said...

I'll see what I can do on the Ceru front. ;-)

Mona said...

ah! That explains a lot! & also puts to rest some indignation I felt earlier....

I love Ceru as much as i loved your creation Von. That one was an amazing chapter.the one of father separating from his only child.. the going away. the feelings in his heart... I LOVED that chapter, it brought tears to my eyes as none other...

I tell you. Your creation of male characters is very authentic... much better than females. Kyra I will look into ,as you say. Yul is more closer to being real [ as far as I have understood & known American women uptil now, I can see some 'life' into that one] But Mairi is totally a woman from 'male perspective'

Trée said...

Mona, your comments give me great food for thought. Ever since you mentioned some time ago that all my characters acted like Americans it made me, in a very good way, examine my own blind spots and my own writing. I mean I have defended parts of the story in the past with the claim that this is an alien race with alien technology but to think I have placed thinly veiled Americans in alien garb into the story without realizing it, and I think I probably have, is/was eye opening for me. And my dear perceptive one, I have you to thank for opening my eyes and questioning just exactly how I "motive" my characters. Somewhere down the road I think, you will see some interesting developments from the seed you have cultivated in my mind. ;-)

You know what is funny? I tend to think of Yul as the kind of woman most men dream of, would want (a overtly sensual and sexual being, that as she called Rog once, could frail the shell off a nut) and Mairi is the one that is somehow different, slightly just beyond reach of comprehending.

Thank you Mona for pushing and challenging me to think through my characters, to see them with, as a painter does, a flip of the canvas, and in the flip, one sees with different eyes. :-)

As for Kyra, let me know if you want me to point you in the right direction. Off the top of my head I think the chapter Moments, may be a good place to start, or at least an interesting place to see Kyra in a different light than the Papa/Kyra chapters. :-)