Thursday, January 19, 2006

62. So Close, Yet So Far

“Rog, this is Kyra, come in.”

“Rog here darlin’, how might I be of assistance?”

“We have new information. Kieran has stage one manifestation of the virus. For whatever reason the soup appears not to be working on him. That means –"

Rog interrupted, “That means we’ve got less than 48 hours. Anyone else showing signs.”

“Not yet Rog. Have you secured the medicine we need to fight this thing?”

“We got the goods darlin’. ETA, twenty minutes. Remind me to . . . you . . . these . . . Nerajians.”

“Rog, you’re breaking up on me. Can you repeat that last bit. Rog, come in. Rog?” Kyra starred at the communication panel. Nothing but static. No picture, no sound.

“Yul, any idea what just happened?” asked Kyra.

“Atmospheric Tear on Neraj is closing in. Without that opening, nothing can get in or out, including communication,” said Yul. “Openings are unpredictable. Pandoras are reporting we could see the next one in a matter of minutes or,” Yul hesitated, “or a matter of days.”

Kyra starred straight ahead at the gorgeous globe before her ship. So beautiful a sight and at the moment that beautiful world was threatening her entire crew. A dense and impenetrable atmosphere held Neraj and its diminutive inhabitants captive most of the time. Fortunately, a natural phenomenon, locally called Tears, allowed passage to and from. Pandoras, giant airborne creatures, acted as beacons, guides and overall guardians of the Tears.

“Kyra, can you hear me? Damnit! This is not the time for this fricken atmosphere to shut down on us. Emy, what are the Pandoras reporting,” asked Rog.

“Too early to know when the next Tear will appear. Apparently could be minutes or could be days,” said Emy.

“Holy mother of Janus, what the frick is that!” He had never seen an electrical storm of this magnitude. The damn thing seemed to emerge from the thick purple atmosphere without warning and was heading directly towards his ship.

“Strap in!” shouted Rog. “And if you know a few prayers, now would be the time.”

Commentary:
this is an audio post - click to play
Reading:
this is an audio post - click to play

26 comments:

Trée said...

Thank you my sweetest sunshine. Your comments complete my day and affirm the brilliant love that shines forth from your heart. Thank you again sweetie. :-)

Anonymous said...

Perhpas we'll see March :-)
Great follow-up, EW on the reading and commentary as always.

Anonymous said...

lol, you are just too cute - too quick too :)

Trée said...

I have no idea how blogger messes up the order of these comments. Gremlins must be. Mornin' early bird. I don't think you slept much now did you sweetie. I'm starting to worry about you.

Anonymous said...

What a beautiful storm!

Anonymous said...

Wow, now that's some electrical storm. The colors are awesome!

Trée said...

Thanks Oliviah. This image looks just awesome at 1600x1200. When compressed by blogger it loses a lot of its sharpness for some odd reason. Not sure why blogger does that to some images but not to others. Well, guess you are just going to have to come for a visit to see the real beauty of this one. :-D

Trée said...

Deb, I did this image in six different color variations. They all looked great. I can only imagine what is going through Rog's mind right now. Delight at the light show and dread at the danger. Can't wait to find out what happens next. :-)

Anonymous said...

Tree,

I love the first image... I see;

"butterflies within the purple shades of lust and tranquility."

Beautiful Darlin' ;-)

Y

Trée said...

Lust and Tranquility. Only you Y could have seen that and that's why I love you so my darlin' woman. Glad to see my secret messages are getting through. I'll meet you down by the lake. Bring your blanket and I'll bring the wine. :-D

Anonymous said...

LMAO... You are a trouble maker...

Oh, don't forget the wine glasses
darlin' and of course, the sweet treats!!

Silly! ;-)

~Y

Trée said...

I'm already there darlin'. :-)

Anonymous said...

Absolutely fabulous Trée, don't have near enough time (and its way too early LOL) to wrap my brain around the words needed to do this justice.

So I will just say wow :0)

Have a wonderful day darlin (hugs)

Anonymous said...

OMG! Glorious, amazing butterflies in that first frac.
I keep trying to get apoph to make butterflies for me but it simply refuses to do so. Maybe I expect too much? Hmmm.

Wish I had time to read. I will tomorrow.
I adore you dear. Keep brightening our world.

Trée said...

Thanks Trace. Have a great day tubey girl and hurry back. :-)

Trée said...

Thanks Aggie. Keep those fracs coming on your site. I've been loving the ones of late. Incredibly good stuff!

Anonymous said...

I love the colors!

Anonymous said...

Ooh, lovely images. I loooove purple! :-) I enjoyed the story and the comentary. Thanks for putting so much work into these.

You and Jack have a great weekend. *HUGS*

Trée said...

Sherri, purple and green are two of my favorite colors. Reminds me of Mardi Gras.

Trée said...

Karen, this story is a labor of love. I love creating the images and developing the characters is something I never in my wildest dreams ever saw myself doing. Yet, here it is--a story. And I just love doing it. Have a great weekend sweetie. From me and Jack both :-)

Anonymous said...

I love the deep, dark colours. Reminds me of berries and wine.

Trée said...

Thanks Chicky. That reminds me of the song Strawberry Wine. Keep posting those fabulous pictures sweetie. :-)

Anonymous said...

Hey, no fair :-)
Was all set up for a fix!

Hope you are having a gloriously wonderful day, xxx

Trée said...

Afternoon Sunshine. C and the Bulldogs remain undefeated with their 6th victory this morning. What's interesting is they have played every game on the road. Of course at this level home court doesn't mean all that much but it is nice to say. LOL

I'm a little stumped on exactly how to move the story forward. We got the situation with Rog and the medicine currently trap on Neraj and with their own issues; we got Kieran deathly ill; and then we have Kyra and what her relationship to Kieran might be. I'm thinking they may have a bit of history between them. Mmm, what to do. And don't forget, we could always return to Zeke--still much to say there too.

Anonymous said...

Congratulations C and the Bulldogs, no mean feat - love you in proud dad mode :-)

Looking forward to hearing about Kyra and Kieran - you have my rapt attention, love a bit of history. lol, even I'm contemplating possible twists.
And as I've said before, wherever this story goes, it will be somewhere equally as wonderful as the journey thus far - full faith, you've proved your talent :-).
Have a great evening, x

Trée said...

Thank you Sunshine. Been a good day. Bulldogs victorious; another post in the story; and my Sunshine has come to shower my blog with her love. :-)