Tuesday, January 03, 2006

56. Animus

“Morning Kyra. Did you sleep well,” said Trev, his eyes quickly and self consciously breaking eye contact for fear she would see right through him. Surely she must know his feelings. Then again, who couldn’t look at her brilliant blue eyes, coal black hair, and high cheek bones and not be mesmerized. The thought of hiding in the crowd, of being another “deer in the highlights” gave him some nervous comfort of anonymity.

“Like a baby Trev,” cooed Kyra with a wink. She knew Trev had feelings for her and quite frankly had no patience for his inability to speak directly and speak from the heart. Then again, she had always been rather cool toward Trev and she could understand him not wanting to put his chin forward only to have it whacked back into reality. Perhaps we all need our little fantasies to ease the friction of daily life she thought.

“You mentioned to Goldie an urgent matter. What’s up,” said Kyra, her playful tone gone as quickly as the wink. She was not one to beat around the bush. Small talk was just a waste of time. Her Got something to say, then just say it, attitude earned her both respect and dislike in equal measure. No nonsense is how most would describe her style of interaction. She enjoyed philosophical conversation with someone who could match her passion and knowledge. Otherwise, her pragmatic side had a way of hitting you over the head when you weren’t looking.

“Come take a look at this and tell me what you see,” monotoned Trev, subconsciously matching Kyra’s change in tone. He stepped back from the microscope and motioned her to step in. The sight of her lithe body moving with the grace of a cat stalking its prey sent the customary shiver down his spine, not to mention the sudden spontaneous and audible intake of breathe she must have heard.

Kyra, heard, but had long since filtered out such responses from males. Bending over the scope, her long agile fingers found the focus knob. Slowing rotating the knob with precise pressure and application she could have swore she heard another spontaneous intake, which brought forth a wicked grin she hoped her position concealed. No sense in torturing the boy for no good reason she mused.

Ahh, there it was, focus. “Holy cow, Trev, how long have you been sitting on this?” her tone firm but without accusation or blame. Time was the question, not blame.

“I notified Goldie as soon as I saw it,” Trev responded like a like a bucket of cold water had just hit him in the face.

“Trev, do you know what we have here?” again her tone was flat, without emotion that betrayed her concern.

“Looks like the animus virus,” Trev shot back with a false sense of indignation. He had the medical background, why wouldn’t he know. “How it got on board, . . .”
Kyra cut him off. Time was not on their side. There would be time later to explore how, assuming they were still around that is.

“Prepare Golden Tree soup for everyone on board ASAP.”

“Rog, can you hear me,” Kyra spoke into her comm.

“Rog here darlin’.” No one could take the piss out of Kyra quite like Rog. He seemed to be the only male inoculated against her charms and he knew it.

“Meet me in my quarters, pronto.”

“Yes ma’am. One question darlin’.”

“What would that be Rog,” Kyra deadpanned with a slight roll of her eyes to Trev.

“What took you so long to ask,” Rog teased.

Commentary Part 1:
this is an audio post - click to play
Commentary Part 2:
this is an audio post - click to play
Reading:
this is an audio post - click to play

47 comments:

Anonymous said...

oooh, i really like this one. and love the pics too. but sweetheart, i miss the commentary. :) hope you're doing better. miss ya.

Trée said...

Commentary will be up shortly. Need a free phone line to record, and with a house full of women, well, just give me a bit of time sweetie. :-)

Thanks for the kind words.

Anonymous said...

Cool! What busy-ness! Happy New Year [only a few days late]!!!!

Anonymous said...

you're welcome. i meant every word. :) ooh, goodie, there will be commentary! :) i'm quivering with anticipation, the speakers are already on. :)

Trée said...

Happy New Year Ciera!

Trée said...

Sweetbabyk, glad to know you are listening to the audio. Wasn't sure if I was just recording that stuff for my health. Thanks for the feedback. :-)

Anonymous said...

anytime. :) do you think you'll be on aim tonite?

Trée said...

Not sure. I want to get the audio for this piece done first. Then chill a little.

Anonymous said...

okie dokie, i understand :)

Anonymous said...

brilliant, just wonderful, love love love love the virus frac!!!!!!

can't wait to see where this story line is going to go :0)

gotta go listen now, be back in a bit :0)

how you doin darlin?

Anonymous said...

Time for Trev to have a bit more courage!...:o)..take a chance a risk...than maybe she might take more notice!..

Hi there by the way Tree..:-)

Blessings,
Rhi

Anonymous said...

wonderful, as always. :)

Anonymous said...

"strong affinity" for Kyra? ROFL thats good, you are practically drooling ROFL

Anonymous said...

something i wanted to tell you, when we get a chance to talk.

Anonymous said...

great commentary sweetheart :0)

Trée said...

What can I say Trace, I'm falling for my own character. If I suddenly disappear, you know where to find me. LOL

As always sweetie, thanks so much for your very kind words.

Trée said...

Thanks sweetbabyk. So glad to know you like listening to the audio. And oh what a tease. Somthing you need to tell me LMAO. :-)

Trée said...

Rhi, I'm not sure Trev has it in him. I could be wrong, and I have a feeling sooner or later he will make a move, but I think she really intimidates him.

Happy New Year sweetie. So good to see your blessings again. :-)

Anonymous said...

Who is Kyra? Im J now lol!

Keshi.

Anonymous said...

If I suddenly disappear, you know where to find me. LOL


ROFL you are too much :0)

you have a decent day?

Trée said...

Keshi, Kyra is who I image you to be. Since I can't have you babe, I created her. She's my angel. ;-)

Trée said...

Much better day sweetie. Thanks for asking.

Anonymous said...

awww Tre :)

**who couldn’t look at her brilliant blue eyes, coal black hair, and high cheek bones and not be mesmerized.

I have jet black hair and high cheek bones alright hehehe. but not blue eyes...black brown eyes ;-)


Nice one Tre!

Keshi.

Trée said...

Oh Keshi, I will never look at you the same way again. Oh my, and now how do I handle the intimate scenes she might be in if all I'm thinking about is you. ;-)

Anonymous said...

The story is going to keep me coming back over and over again isn't it? And two fracs this time And the forest images. I guess I can drag myself over for the trip :P :)
Thank you friend for the respite.

Trée said...

Liz, you are very welcome. Each time I sit down to write, I say a little prayer that perhaps I could write with the skill you have in your little finger. Your writing inspires me to improve, to do better. You write so well, I usually read your postings three or four times just to let the words flow over me. My writing looks very chunky in comparsion. But I'm a quick learner--lol. You keep writing and I'll keep learning. Deal?

Thanks Liz. Your words are very, very nice to hear. :-)

Trée said...

Morning dearest Sunshine. I've missed you like the flowers miss the rain.

Anonymous said...

Just excellent :-) Funny, like the concepts you've used to build Kyra, more to her than met the eye originally - and ending on another cilffhangar. Great fracs too.
Thou art the meister.

Trée said...

Thank you dearest one. I describe what she is wearing in the commentary, so don't miss that when you get the chance. :-)

Anonymous said...

Most definitely won't.

& Good morning, sweetest heart (forgot to wish you first time around :)

Anonymous said...

Evening, that should be :) And hoping, its been a good one.

Trée said...

Thanks Sunshine. Getting better. Thanks for asking.

Anonymous said...

:-) I only just saw the 'flowers' greeting, so sweet, thank you.
Happy dreaming, x

Anonymous said...

Hello,

Just a short note to let you know that I joined your molecular analysis team. Thanks for providing this unique opportunity to help fight cancer!

Anonymous said...

good morning sweetheart :0)

hope you have a great day!!!!!
(hugs)

Anonymous said...

Both fracs are gorgeous, but the first one has me hypnotized. WOW. Good part of the story too.

Happy Hump Day to you and Jack! *HUGS*

Trée said...

Morning/Afternoon Sunshine. Did you bring the rain. I could use a little watering. :-)

Trée said...

Amanda, welcome to the team! I was so happy to have stumbled upon your site and to see the good work you are doing to educate people on what the fight against cancer is really like. We have many mates on our team fighting this disease. Read the "Starfish" post (look at the bottom of my sidebar) for one example.

I did notice we had two new members join last night. Did you have someone else join us too?

Anyhoo, welcome to our fabulous international cancer fighting team Amanda!

Trée said...

Thanks Karen. It is Wednesday isn't it. For you ladies who would like to see a little male eye candy, every Wed Karen has her hump day hunkaroo post. Drop by her site if you need a little distraction. :-)

Trée said...

Top of the mornin' to ya Trace. :-)

Anonymous said...

How do Trée? You know, there is a distinct advantage to playing catch up after having been away for a while... I get to read all the episodes all at one time! No waiting on the cliff for the next installment - and it is fabulous! Your fractals have moved beyond belief. And as for falling for your heroine - it is to be expected I think ;-) She is how all of us females aspire to be.

Nice job - and it was so cool to hear your voice. I love a good story teller.

Trée said...

Terry, hot biker woman, you are just too sweet to me. I love reading your comments and I often wonder what it would be like to read this story in that way. Thanks for the insight and feedback. Sorry to hear about your basement. Still sending good karma your way.

Anonymous said...

:-D Great job on the humourous dialogue!!

Anonymous said...

Black leather :)
EW

Trée said...

Just like that outfit in your closet A. :-D

Anonymous said...

I was thinking catsuit for Kyra, was I wrong? - between you and I, I have one of those too though :)

Trée said...

Well, that would be a move in the right direction. Perhaps not as dramatic as a catsuit. ;-)