Wednesday, January 25, 2006

66. Night Flight

Editors Note: Summation of the story is two posts down for those that would like an audio executive summary. This chapter goes back a few days in time. Rog and Emy have embarked from Bravo-Four-Zero in search of the medicine Keiran needs to survive. The chapter below Measured in Seconds has not yet occurred.



“Rog, do you know what you are doing.” said Emy.

“M, darlin’ I could land this bird on a teeler at full throttle with my eyes tied behind your back.” Rog’s grin conveyed complete overconfidence in his piloting abilities. “Hang tight pumpkin, I’m about to nest our little egg.”

“I’d prefer not to be someone’s omelet,” Emy shot back. She had lost her sense of humor about the same time the G-forces of Rog’s night descent had threaten to spoil the memory of the first hot meal they’d had in some time.

The flight through the Tear and down to Neraj had been spectacular. Approaching the atmospheric Tear reminded Emy of sailing through the locks on the western approaches of the Nusian peninsula on Hyneria. Her father had captained some of the largest sea going vessels and often took Emy with him. Sailing the oceans was not all that different to Emy than traveling through deep space.

The Nerajians were a rather insulated civilization. Their usually dense atmosphere and unpredictable Tears made many travelers reluctant to visit. Lack of sunlight caused most of the planet to be barren and many felt contributed to the diminutive size of the species. The average Nerajian stood only three-quarters the height of a Hynerian.


Rog and Emy were greeted like long lost family. The Nerajians had the medicine they needed but only one location was considered safe enough to house both the viruses and the agents of retribution, as the healing medicines were called in world. Three hours flight through the barren desert stood an impenetrable fortress. Here, they would find what they needed.

"Rog, do you see what I see?" asked Emy, her fear of Rog's flying replaced by a very bad feeling about the change in atmospheric conditions. Just a few minutes before the night sky had been as clear as day. In what seemed like seconds the sun, moon and landscape turned an eerie
shade of blue as if they knew something her and Rog didn't.


“Uhmmm, yea, M. Not sure what’s going on but hang tight. I’ve got a visual on our fortress. Snazzle, locate and lock on their landing beacon. Conditions are deteriorating fast and I’m going to need . . . ”

“Rog, there is no landing beacon being broadcast,” said Snazzle.


“Impossible Snaz. Check another frequency.”

“My scanners have quadrupled checked every possible option. The fortress is not broadcasting a beacon.”



“Sunavabeeeotch!” said Rog, dragging out the expletive for dramatic effect. A little adrenaline rush in Rog’s mind was better than three shots of southern snoot and two lap dances in the back corners of the Purple Pampus back home. Emy did not share the sentiment.

Atmospheric Tears moved fast. Perfectly clear night turned to bluish overcast and then to darkness with high winds in a matter of minutes. Rog and Emy didn’t know it, but getting the agent of retribution was going to be the least of their troubles.

Commentary 1:
this is an audio post - click to play
Commentary 2:
this is an audio post - click to play
Reading:
this is an audio post - click to play

27 comments:

Anonymous said...

To be continued? Wow, I'm just looking at your creation, it is awesome!

Hope you're doing well, sugs! ;-)

Anonymous said...

wow, wow and wow, what an absolutely stunning frac darlin.

Hope you are having a great day my sweet (hugs)

Anonymous said...

Fan*tastic frac! Won't comment on the story other than to say, so far so great :-)

Trée said...

Thanks Leigh. I have to tell you I've listened to "Just Like Heaven" a bazillion times. I just love the lyrics and her voice--oh my--I've fallen in love with that voice. That first line, the way she sings it, just makes me melt.

If Kyra could sing, and maybe she does, this is what she would sound like! Darlin' you've given my girl a voice!!! WooHOOOOOOO.

"Show me how you do that trick
The one that makes me scream" she said
"The one that makes me laugh" she said
And threw her arms around my neck
"Show me how you do it
And I promise you I promise that
I'll run away with you
I'll run away with you"

Spinning on that dizzy edge
I kissed her face and kissed her head
And dreamed of all the different ways I had
To make her glow
"Why are you so far away?" she said
"Why won't you ever know that I'm in love with you
That I'm in love with you"

You
Soft and only
You
Lost and lonely
You
Strange as angels
Dancing in the deepest oceans
Twisting in the water
You're just like a dream

Daylight licked me into shape
I must have been asleep for days
And moving lips to breathe her name
I opened up my eyes
And found myself alone alone
Alone above a raging sea
That stole the only girl I loved
And drowned her deep inside of me

You
Soft and only
You
Lost and lonely
You
Just like heaven

Trée said...

Trace, another busy day, which is why the partial postings. I just had to get something up--LOL!

Thanks darlin' for your kind words. Fingers crossed I finish this one tonight. I have another moody frac I want to use for the second half of this chapter. Stay tuned. :-D

Trée said...

Thanks A. I hope I can do justice to the rest of this one. Usually not a good idea to published the beginning before the end is written since so much can change. But you know me, living on the edge LMAO! Thanks for the kind words on the image. This one had a good bit of post-processing.

Anonymous said...

Trée, these fracs are just fantastic, the planet scapes are gorgeous but I just love that last one, gonna save my comments on the story til I get the full monty though :0) (but you know I am lovin it LOL)

hope you are having a good evening darlin :0)

Trée said...

Thanks Trace. This chapter is virtually done. Just a few more lines to wrap this section up. Been one of those nights where I have 10 minutes to myself and then something comes up, 10 minutes and then something else. Where is that cabin in the woods. LOL

Trée said...

Alright Trace. I'm done with the prose. I'm waiting till everyone goes to bed before I even attempt to do the audio. What a day. Is it August yet?

Anonymous said...

Is it August yet?
hmmm not last time I checked :0)(personally shooting for April myself) ,something good gonna happen in August?

but getting the agent of retribution was going to be the least of their troubles.

darlin you know how much I love these cliffhangers :0)

great chapter sweetness,as always (and I can wait for the audio, they are always well worth it)
:0)

three shots of southern snoot
think I need to get me some of that LOL

Trée said...

August is when I usually take vacation. Right now, I'll take the three shots of snoot. Oh, and the two lap dances of course. :-D

Sounds like Sunshine broke into the snoot a little earlier tonight. Maybe I should have hit her up for the dances. :-)

Anonymous said...

I'll take the three shots of snoot. Oh, and the two lap dances of course. :-D
of course LOL

Sounds like Sunshine broke into the snoot a little earlier tonight.

LOL hope she didn't drink it all and saved some for the rest of us :0D

Trée said...

Thanks Trace. Got a little carried away there. :-D

Anonymous said...

great commentary as always sweetie

Anonymous said...

Nicely done :-)

Anonymous said...

:0)

Trée said...

Thanks Sunshine. :-)

Anonymous said...

Good morning sweetie
Hope you have a great Thursday, try not to work to hard :0)
(hugs)

Trée said...

You too Trace. Best of luck with the teaching. :-)

Anonymous said...

The fracs are amazing and tell the story almost as well as you do :-)

Have a great day! *HUGS*

Trée said...

Thanks Karen. I appreciate your feedback and I'm glad to know you are reading the story. Your very kind words are always appreciated sweetie.

Anonymous said...

long time no see!

I LOVE these fracs!

Trée said...

Ciera, welcome back! So good to see you again. Thanks for the kind words on the images. You need to check out Trebuchet (see my sidebar). Nothing but images 24/7. :-)

Anonymous said...

You're getting so good at this off planet stuff, I'm starting to wonder whether . . . those fracs aren't really photographs and you've actually benn there--huh? Tree huh? They sure are awesome and beautiful.

The story just continues to amaze, can't wait for the next.

Trée said...

Thanks Liz. You should see my leopard over at Trebuchet. He's a bit thirsty but I think he would like your company.

As always I deeply appreciate your positive feedback. Thanks sweetie. :-)

Anonymous said...

good morning sweetie

so unbelievably glad its friday :0)

Hope you have a good day (hugs)

Trée said...

Thanks Trace. We are actually interviewing candidates for our own office today. Keep your fingers crossed--we need the extra help. Have a great Friday sweetie. And if the phone rings, wait till the third ring to answer. :-D