Friday, October 31, 2008

580. Corn and Cello



"I once worked on a farm. One day, during the harvest, we had corn. Fresh corn. I had had corn all my life, from a can. From the first taste, I knew, I knew I had never had corn, as corn was meant to be had. A year or so later, at university, I attended a cello performance. Very small venue. I was on the front row, probably not more than ten feet or so from the performer. There was no orchestra, just one musician and one cello and nothing else between the bow and string and my ear. Like the corn, I had listened to many recorded performances of solo cello. From the first pull of bow, I knew, like the corn, that I had never heard the cello before. So, in answer to your question this is what I say, Love, with a capital L, is like the corn or the cello. When you have experienced Love directly, purely, your eyes are opened to a light and your heart is drawn to a force, well, how can I say it, you see a reality and in that reality, of what is is, is a joy, a joy so concentrated, so absolute, well, you know there is no going back. So that is why I give. I'm no saint. But once you are touched by the light, the question to do otherwise fades like the night before the dawn and what you do, what you become is not a doing or a choice nor can it be labeled or classified, it is, for lack of a better way to say it, a being, a return, a dropping of all the falseness we accumulate over time."

Zoe sat as one slapped sat, one slapped unexpectedly and thankfully, for the slapping. She thought she had fallen for him, for Ceru, but in the fall of this moment, she knew the corn and she knew the cello and she knew the fall before was not the fall now.

14 comments:

Autumn Storm said...

I'm sure a couple of dozen words will come tumbling forth in a little while, but there is really only one thing to say. I absolutely, abso*lutely, loved this. Loved seeing Ceru, loved what he was expressing and how he expressed it - I knew from the title we were in for something special, Corn and Cello, I fall again for you too. :-) There's beauty and there are degrees and nuances and levels and variations and then there are the words that you write, beauty like the autumn tree or freshly fallen snow, a meadow of flowers, a clear blue sky, that kind of perfect, pure, natural beauty. Wow.

Anonymous said...

Happy Halloween
xxoo
:)

Trée said...

Wait till Ceru tells her about ice wine, metaphorically. Prepare to swoon. ;-)

There are times when words and phrases and sentences feel as notes and melodies and choruses. This morning, with these two chapters, I felt as if I were writing lyrics or poetry or music and not words. I don't quite know how to explain it. I do know that writing does not always feel this way, and when it does, it feels as a gift, not something I do by command. As always, your comments give me hope and strength and encouragement to keep writing. Thank you. :-)

Trée said...

Happy Halloween Meleah. :-)

Mona said...

Indeed. Once you have seen the light, you cannot go back to the darkness, even if the light hurts your eyes....

I love the last line " she k new the fall before was not the fall now" this is so pregnant with vast colors of meaning!

One could write a thesis on you!

Trée said...

Mona, so nice to see you feeling better. I think we should start that thesis with finger paint. You pick the hue. :-D

Thank you, always, for the kind words. Much appreciated. :-)

j said...

I have missed you. Going back into the Story to read.

Happy Halloween my friend.

Trée said...

Jen, I've missed you too. Welcome back and Happy Halloween. :-)

Constance said...

Brrrrr ! A truly beautiful description of love - and a rude awakening when it is not...

Trée said...

Hey Annie, what's for dinner? :-)

j said...

Love deserved.

I am ready for the swoon that you promised Ms. Storm but not being a wine drinker and not always understanding metaphors, I am afraid I will be swoon free :D

This is my bookmark. I have to get ready to travel tomorrow. Be back soon. Have a lovely Sunday.

Cha Cha said...

Wow.

I SO needed to read this right now.

Right now, in this exact moment.

You have no idea.

Your words, Tree.

Your WORDS....

They give us all hope.

And hope is such a crucial part of life itself.

Trée said...

Strumper, your comment gives me hope, hope that what I'm writing is not just gibberish, a waste of time, a vomiting into to black hole of the blogosphere. So, so, so nice to see you back. You have no idea. :-D

Trée said...

Jen, I'm not sure I will be able to comment on all your comments, but I have read them all and have been swimming in the joy they bring me, the happiness to see you reading again and engaging the story, chapter by chapter. I value your readership and your comments, which, in my mind, feel like a good shoulder rub. :-D

Have a great Sunday. Go Tide (except for next week) :-D