Tuesday, September 18, 2007

344. A Good Woman

As unspoken as moon accords planet, Em accompanied her father’s umbra down an oak paneled hallway, the deck rolling before her mind, the bulkhead creaking under swaying thoughts, her heart beating as war drums, her defenses rising a flag not white. Movement of mind and heart, ticking against the percussion of anticipation could play those games. The captain knew. There were instruments and there was gut; one sterile, one living. Choices. Always choices, he thought as one then the other touched the familiar worn frame above the doorway of his alcove.

Her father’s study, with memorabilia scattered in every cordaged nook, a virtual history of love of sea, of relationships formed and friends buried, exhaled solemn tones of wood and brass, of midnight stories of trial and tribulation, of ghosts and heroes, of a life lived above fear, beyond regret. Without speaking, from device of hand and deliberation of eye, Em knew something was not in place; and, as if to look for the scotoma, her mind begin to spin faster and faster with each reluctant exchange of silence, of downy eyes burning with an emotion only a father could feel on bended knee before his defenseless child. His hands, those leathery warm mitts opened before the witness of a heart lost in the shoals of waters unknown, of territory uncharted. A silk breeze blew from an open paned window, brushing Em’s hair with gentle strokes across her creamy olive complexion as her eyes peeked with the shine of inevitability, blinking rapidly for focus above cheeks not long for dry.

The captain, heavy of lid, planted his competent hands on the edge of his desk and leaned over. His lips opened as if to speak but instead crackled words destined to haunt the halls of a child’s memory like a eulogy, “Emy, your mother is a good woman.”

Em looked from cheek to cheek as if seeing words in creases, sonnets in furrows and love in the wrinkles of a Hynerian who suddenly looked older than he was. “Father, you’ve always been straight with me. What’s wrong?”

“I’ve never been one for fancy words.” He hesitated as if lost for the very locution practiced the evening long.

Em released her troubled shoulders into a shrug when she realized the sonic boom was not forthcoming and immediately regretted the solicited ineptitude that overcame her father’s countenance like a grotesque mask. His steady hand began to shake and his eyes looked dim, faraway, his mind spinning for light in the dark, for answers within a book not written. With an act of mercy, she took his trembling hands and with lips slow and tender kissed away the salty anguish on his glistening cheek. “Tell me father. Tell me what you called me here tonight to say. I am stronger than you think.”

The captain pulled his walty head back as if a stranger had just spoken. He surveyed his Em, a young female Hynerian full of promise, and in one of those moments that changes everything while changing nothing, she appeared not as child but as Hynerian. “Your mother,” he began in effort of force, of spine stiff, of commander straining under the weight of advancing unrequited hordes, “is dying.”

Em knew what was coming. And, and still, she felt slapped by an invisible hand from behind her father, one laughing and grinning in the pain of mere mortals, a hand with a knife to her father’s neck. From sting to anger to resolution to compassion occurred in the space of a breath. “You know what we must do?”

“Tell me. What must we do?”

“We must fight. We must fight this thing with everything we’ve got.”

“Emy—“

“I want to know every detail.”

“Emy my dear—“

“I want to know now, right this instant. We must devise a plan. That’s what you always said father, that we need a plan, that we must win the fight in our minds before we take the fight to our enemies.”

The captain squeezed tears down his cheeks with a smile he could not repress. She was wrong and she was right. His wife, her mother, was dying and nothing known on land or sky was going to change that. But that wasn’t really the point.

“We start with flowers.”

“Flowers?”

“Flowers brighten everything. We need flowers in every room, a signal, our standard. Mother will know. She will see and when she can no longer see she will smell the aroma of our untiring efforts. We will bathe her senses in our love and our strength will become her strength, our hope her hope, our conviction, the road to recovery. We will carry her father. We will lift her upon our stout shoulders as victors and she will know, know a love unlike any other.”

He ran his fingers under her bangs as if to see the face that was speaking such words. “My dear child, you are the fruit of your mother’s womb.”

“Oh, I’m just getting started. Now, tell me everything you know.”

Reading and Commentary: A Good Woman

17 comments:

Trée said...

By the way, I see a young Christoper Plummer playing the part of the captain. :-D

Trée said...

That would be Christopher. You would think of all the names in the world, I'd spell that one right. :-D

Autumn Storm said...

Who else would be a perfect captain, with a look as stern that can suddenly change to a smile with the ability to warm a cold room.

This chapter was incredibly touching. I got to Mother will know, the determined hope, showing her strength in this time of need, and I just wanted to sweep her up and hug her tight, as would anyone, but nobody would have gone beyond the thought. I got to I am stronger than you think.”, to that superb piece of writing and I could hear her voice, I could see her stance, I could see the look in her father's eyes, and everything else drifted away, including the present time within the story. Through those words, the world centred upon them. You know, this will probably not make much sense, but something about it made me think of 'The five people you meet in heaven'. There was a sensation of being moved through time by a greater power (the author), of being thrown in to witness a scene, confused at first as to why we were there, or rather apprehensive, knowing this even before witnessing that this was a crucial moment, one that needed to be understood. Hmmm.. that doesn't really explain the sense of being in the room with them, unlike some other scenes that have evoked unmanageable emotion, there wasn't that feeling that one was intruding. It felt more like an honour, not only to be included in this moment, but to witness and listen to the strength of their love.

A fate is about to befall them, one that happens to all of us, they are about to lose a loved one, and though Em's speech cuts straight to the heart and one would wish things could be different, there a sense also of the inevitable, because we are in the past of course and the event of Em's mother dying has already happened, but following the scenes that brought us to this one, in appreciating what they have, knowing that they themselves not only appreciated but lived for those moments (why else would those be the ones we get to see:), that too made those ripples of tension described in the first scene all the more palpable. Not all Em's influence, her knowing something is up, in other words. It is as though, accepting that Em's mother is dying is easier than accepting that they do not get to choose the timing. Don't think I am making sense of what I mean, but suffice to say, Em's speech was an amazing piece of writing, the whole thing, but that part in particular. You built the tension perfectly in those first couple of paragraphs, one sliding in front of the next, not least the inclusion of all the non-living things around them that will be unchanged by what he is about to tell her. Once again, some truly wonderful sentences within, the kind that make one stop up and read them a couple more times to savour how choice and arrangement can become magic. Not the obvious choice, and then again, maybe it is. Choices. Always choices, was one of those times where there was a pause.

So touched by Em's words, the range within this chapter, again saying why, properly, becomes difficult. Brilliant writing.

Constance said...

Oh, that is so beautiful... I could fall in love with you just because of how you write, Tree...
I won't, but I could...

Flowers everywhere... Such an exquisite and sad and lovely image of infinite love all at once.

Trée said...

Whimsical edits when one can't leave good enough alone:

"the deck of her mind rolling, the bulkhead of her thoughts creaking, a war drum in her bosom . . ."

:-D

Trée said...

Annie, the thought that you could but won't is perhaps more tantalizing, more delicious, more smile inducing than the thought that you could alone. You have a way with a thought that makes me dream of your eyes and how your eyes must, like a Châtelaine, communicate with a look given what a James Blunt song does with a lyric sung. I want to see you sip tea, your eyes just over the edge looking as wicked smiles through the rain on a summer day.

As always Annie, your kind words are most appreciated. :-)

Trée said...

My Dearest Sunshine, I will deal with you later. Report to my office and bring your ruler, just in case I can't find my own. :-D

Autumn Storm said...

Firstly, quite simply it was so nice to hear your voice again.
Secondly, to hear you read your own words has always been a very special experience, had I read it a hundred times myself, known it inside out (which I haven't and don't, yet) to hear you read it would make it more. That was a wonderful reading, perfectly evocative.
I just have to say, because it made me smile, that when you read I am stronger than you think. it wasn't what I thought it would be, and then you went ahead and changed the (can't think of the word) emphasis from the second word to the third, and there it was, just as in my mind reading for myself it was.
Thirdly, the commentary was stunning. It occurred to me listening that if one wanted to give people the ultimate taster of what this story is, this would work exceptionally well. It showcases so many of the things most lovable about the story, heading those is your great passion for it. That is something as you know makes all the difference - think of Blunt here too - and here, though perhaps it has something to do with the length of time since hearing a commentary last, if it wasn't, it seemed as though never was it so evident. Please don't take this the wrong way, but the urgency, the willing those listening to really hear what you were saying by not just what you were saying which was more than enough to capture any audience, but the great boom in your voice, reminded me of a preacher, the passion of it, the belief, the energy.
The actual content, pulled clear yet scattered impressions together, others that were not yet fully fledged, still some that had barely started, in other words, the commentary served, as it always does which is why I love so when you do them (and had I my way I'd have you do so many more), to clarify, to connect in clearer lines than we might otherwise have done, to make a chapter such as this one - though beforehand one would wonder how such a thing would be possible - more intense. To bring it even closer.

Those lines that we see, those lines that we become even more aware of during a reading such as this one, those are such a great part of what makes this story unique and amazing, and following that the person that creates it. Such great depth. I've said this before, a while since now, but when I think of your story I think of branches, so many branches all sprouting from a solid trunk, all part of the same living thing, forever growing, forever reaching, and no matter how many grow, regardless of how far one branch travels, regardless of the distance between one side to the other, it's all a perfect, integrated part of the other.
I could go on and on and on, about all that you spoke of, Em's actions in the study, her words, the pill, the chain, Emily, Em's vow, Kyra's decision to turn back, but firstly I have gone on enough, and secondly nothing I said could compare to hearing you speak of those same things.
Truly, completely awed by the commentary here, the reading was so very wonderful to hear too. Awed. Wow. WOW. Simple as.

Trée said...

Did you bring your ruler as asked? :-D

By the way, in case you missed it, I did a reading of Ripe too. Not as good as I had hoped but done nonetheless. :-)

C has a game this afternoon so I'm on my way to document the experience of cleat and grass of sweat and pass. ;-)

As always, I've run out of words to say thanks for your wonderful comments and support. Bless you, or bless your hide. Take your pick. :-D

Autumn Storm said...

:-D I have my ruler, and I think you know what I would pick.

Have a ton of fun at the game! & let me know if they make it to three in a row!

Trée said...

Three in a row it is! The boys have made so much progress and look like they are having so much fun. These are the moments that pass too fast, the moments that ten years hence will seen as precious as gold; and as for me, I am rolling in every image, every taste, every sound as if there were no tomorrow. :-)

Mona said...

I just love the captain you created.
Your words here are poetry in prose!

"there were instruments and there was gut; one sterile, one living.." That is just beautifully said!

" from sting, to anger, to resolution to compassion occurred in the space of a breath" That is one helluva description!

You ROCK!

Trée said...

Oh Mona, my knees are getting weak as my blood rushes elsewhere. Thank you. :-)

ChickyBabe said...

A fire... a warm glow from within spreading through the soul.

I hope you don't mind me commenting on the images that way. I always go with the first feeling they inspire.

Trée said...

Not at all Chicky. Just glad to have you commenting and visiting. I saw something very similar when I decided to use this image for this chapter. Call it the fire burning within Em's heart, a love fate cannot quench. :-)

Mona said...

I know where your blood is gone...

..I Charles' head! That's where!

Otherwise, why were you echoing him at my blog????

Explain the 'hmmmmm' will ya?!

Trée said...

"Hmmm" is a playful way to say I'm intrigued, tell me more. The piece was beautifully written, although the sadness seems palpable and the back story unknown. I want to know what this shadow represents and who this audience was that is no longer and why you must enter the darkness to lose or find as the case may be. Even the choice of title is interesting since it begs something has happened very recently, something with unanswered prayers. :-)