Monday, September 24, 2007

349. Memorial Mountains

Taren exhaled a thousand thoughts, each a separate path into the mountains of memory as clear as twilight, and began to write. His quarters on the pod were cramped, almost cocoon-like, and the light seemed more luteous than on the command ship, which, he couldn’t say, either aided his recollection or simply colored it in warm hues of distance seen. He preferred to write longhand, he claimed for aesthetic reasons although many suspected privacy. Digital data, no matter how encrypted, was an invitation for prying eyes. Pen on paper, on the other hand, was as secure as the fire that burned them.

“Ten minutes to dock.”

“Acknowledged,” he responded, with the enthusiasm of a ill-behaved child waiting on his father to come home, his ears as attuned to the ticking clock as the child's to the sound of tires.

His hand trembled with remembrance past. Kyra, whom he would soon see again, was a being, a force, unlike anything known, and Arc’teryxians knew more than most. He had seen her anger first hand, the blood of his friends spattered on her albugineous face like speckled eggs writ large. Why she did not kill him as she did the others he could not say. She could have. She almost did. But at the last second, for reasons still unknown, she showed him mercy. Or, so it was written. In his own heart, his life ever since, had been anything but, and he wondered if she had known that the greater torture was in survivorship than in the quiet peace of the next world.

Words didn’t flow on paper as much as pain bled from his neurons, synapses forever firing with the throb of fate’s door closing one entrance and opening another. His movements, since that day, lacked fluidity, spontaneousness, or joy as the case may have been. He was seen, justly or not, as a pariah. He had failed to break the Hynerian. He had failed to protect his men. And most distasteful of all, he had survived. No one could think of a proper punishment, until now.

“Five minutes to dock.”

“Yes, yes. I’m on my way.”

Perhaps this is it, he thought. Perhaps this is where I (he) find (found) my (his) peace, he (they) wrote. Looking at the words on paper, they looked like something someone else had written, as if he were no longer of this world and those that hated him the most found their hate had exhausted itself in wishes and now that the event had occurred, that Taren was no more, they had nothing left. And so, for their own devices, they showed him the false mercy in death that high ranking failures receive in the pulpit of state eulogies.

The doors opened with their familiar hiss, as if they couldn’t be bothered, and the ramp lowered slowly in step to the surreal sense of slow motion Taren felt, as one might have on the walk from cell to maker. Everything sounded distant. Light seems faded, muted. There was movement all around but it matters no more than the falling of leaves to the autumnal wind. Taren felt as if he were watching a movie of someone else that looked like him. He stepped from pod to deck alone. His crew remaining onboard like townspeople watching from behind curtained windows as a doomed gunfighter took to the street. He didn’t blame them. His fate was not theirs.

14 comments:

Autumn Storm said...

This is a seriously fan*tastic piece of writing! More traditional somehow in style, which neither adds nor takes away, just an observation, part of what makes this particular one great, as other things have made the others great. Beautifully written - I say those words often, but you write beautifully, and it makes me think of something that you mentioned once about how you read, there is that same sense of wonder, so it seems, and so it is felt by the one reading it, at the depth, the sentiment, the tone, the feel, a single word can have. You seem, and I have said this before too, to find the perfect words, and that is within already wholly praiseworthy sentences, separate and together, if that makes sense, a word alone, and within the sentence, twice it leaves an impression, the impression that here is a writer with a very special talent.

Seeing what Kyra did, a little at least, from Taren's point of view makes it all the more spectacular, and one wonders once again at the wonder that is Kyra.

Taren himself evokes sympathy, taking us as he does within his private thoughts and feelings. Already he evokes, much more than he has done, the want to know more about him. His walk here reminds me of when Papa went to see Ji, and somehow either because of that, or because of who Kyra is as a person (the granddaughter of her grandfather), or hope based on his words here, and words of being spared, or even just a guess, somehow what lays ahead of him as this chapter ends will not be as bad as he fears and perhaps hopes.

Gosh, I've only read it the once so far, want to read it again and again, and I may be back with more, for I do not feel I have even begun to ponder this one yet.

Trée said...

Sunshine, I have not said it yet in the story, but it has been in my mind for more than a year, and that is Taren is sympathetic, as a character, and to the cause of Bravo and Kyra. The Voice placed him in an impossible position back when he had to "break" Kyra. He didn't have the heart to do it. She knows him better than he knows himself. And so, they are about to meet again.

The other issue that has been on my mind since this part of the story came to be, is, and I will tease you with this, who is good and who is evil with regard to Kulmyk and Arc'teryx. :-D

Things are not always as they seem. ;-)

Serena said...

Whatever happens, whoever is or is not to be trusted, whatever is not as it seems, this is a wonderful piece of writing.:)

Autumn Storm said...

This story wouldn't be The Story if there were not regular surprises. :-) As always, there is a great sense of anticipation for what may come next, but at the moment, I'm loving this one. :-)

Trée said...

SJ, I am humbled with your praise, primrose attire or not. The story exists like a movie in my mind and when I think of a chapter, I don't think of it as much as I see it (or as often the case, feel it on a deep emotional level--I've cried more than once as a new chapter played before my mind's eye), and there are times when I see it so clearly, I could swear I've seen it on the screen. The challenge then, becomes getting what I see and feel onto paper and screen without losing anything in the translation.

Thank you again for the very, very kind words. :-)

Trée said...

To give you some insight, when I picked the name Kulmyk, I wanted a name that sounded rough and I wanted a name with some sort of history to it. So, I bastardized a mongrel name in view that Kylmyk civilization was raping and pillaging everything before them. This was the original idea. And then along came John. :-D

Likewise, the Arc'teryxians were to be a birdlike society, very intelligent and advanced, made up of many birdlike species (Taren is not like Dr X who was not like Shen). They were on the rim of space and being persecuted by the Kulmyks, who wanted them out of the way. The original idea was that Taren and Shen would save Bravo from the likes of the Kulmyks. And, at the end of this chapter, they may still do so.

Stay tuned. :-D

SaffronSaris said...

I don't know how you do it, but everytime I come here, I'm swept away by the fractals.
I've run out of adjectives, I'll drink in the beauty in silence (until I've acquired better vocabulary to describe the beauties you've created)
:D

Trée said...

Saffy, you are very kind. Thank you. :-)

Anonymous said...

incredible work.

Mona said...

As I read this, my eyes widened in disbelief..did I tell you that I write longhand for the very same reasons?..Maybe I must have...

'he had known that the greater torture was in survivorship than in the quiet peace of the next world.'

You echo my last poem with these lines..

Taren is a nice name! :) I like your choice of names here...

Trée said...

Thank you Billy.

Trée said...

Mona, I didn't know you wrote in longhand, and for those reasons--interesting. I kinda like the name Taren too. Reminds me of someone both strong and intelligent, which describes our Taren pretty well. :-)

ChickyBabe said...

I hope you don't mind me saying this (I refrained from leaving a comment yesterday but...), this stunning image reminds me of a woman's figure with DDD breasts :).

Trée said...

Chicky, I hadn't seen that in this image, but from now on, every time I look at it, I will smile thinking of your interpretation. Naughty girl you are. I knew it. :-D