Wednesday, September 12, 2007

336. Red and Blue

Yul stepped outside her quarters. Rog was coming down the hall with purpose, his jaw set, the muscles of his neck bulging like a bull in the ring, a bull bleeding red, seeing red and determined to horn something.

“Rog, got a minute?” she asked with sheepish eyes, wearing the earrings he had given her.

“Not now,” he shot back, brushing her aside with the outside of his hand, his eyes as elsewhere as his mind.

“Rog? Rog?” she called into the narrowing perspective of a figure growing smaller. He did not answer. He did not turn. And, as quickly as he had appeared to the right, he had disappeared to the left.

Yul stood in the silence of humming lights, her face as white as the new moon. Suddenly she felt silly, ashamed for having the thought, of making the approach and of wearing his earrings.

5 comments:

Constance said...

Sometimes being vulnerable hurts.

Trée said...

In my experience, more times than not. Still, in the heartbeat of hope, in the desire that innocence may triumph, I put my heart of the edge of wind and rain. Besides, there is always Jack when the pain gets too great. :-D

Autumn Storm said...

This is what I call a Fievel scene, and yes that comes from crying my heart out to the animated film 'An American Tail'. Not least at the point where the father and the son are so close to finding each other but they just don't see each other and continue searching elsewhere. One of those moments where one wishes that both parties knew something of what the other was thinking and it actually creates an ache, knowing there is misunderstanding and pain and if they knew, if they each knew what the other knew, there would be no need of it. But worse still is the thought that this was their moment, and because of what happened in it, there is a chance that there may never be such a moment again. I loved this chapter, the wetness on my cheeks only made me love it more.

Oliviah said...

I love this one. There is something so sweet we are seeing in Yul, even in this painful humiliation, that makes me believe that there will come a time between her and Rog where both both of them--at the same time--will somehow find themselves alone with each made defenseless by some set of circumstance beyond their control. Vulnerable and unable to pretend they are anything less. I would imagine that despite all the deep pain of the past, they would treat each other tenderly.

This is my luxury, to imagine such things, as one coming in so late on the storyline, lol! ;)

Trée said...

O, my luxury is reading your comments as you read the story. I share your view of Yul and Rog. Love to you my dear beautiful soul. :-)