Saturday, September 01, 2007

327. Journal Entry: Kyra (Two Weeks)



Journal Entry: Kyra

Two weeks have past since we left Kulmyk in haste, John’s home planet. Our new vessel, Tranquility, is larger, faster, more luxurious and endowed with arms beyond our knowledge and skill. The Commander did well (I fear for his fate considering their peculiar laws of infidelity), although I would not be stretching the truth to say we would all rather, as Rog would drawl with a smile, rusticate Bravo. Bravo was our ship, Hynerian, a small piece of home, perhaps a small piece of our collective soul. Tranquility was built by hands seeking our destruction, so you might imagine a certain uneasiness within her walls. The relationship, and there is always a relationship between ship and sailor, is, at best, circumspect. Perhaps time will ease that burden. This is my hope, assuming the hands of fate gift us our freedom and, perhaps needless to say, although everyone thinks it, our lives.

The crew seems uneasy. I blame them no more than I blame the hare who sees the fox in every shadow. Constant surveillance wears on the mind and body with a tension ever present, ever tightening, as if some great big invisible rack turned its screw with every creak and groan, with every betrayal of the imagination. John said they would come after us. They have.

We have guests, which almost seems like an invasion of our privacy, although I think we have all enjoyed the spirit Ariel brings to our otherwise tense environ. John seems subdued or rather like a man who looks in the mirror and doesn’t recognize himself; and Cait, well, my admiration for that woman grows by the day. Why she doesn’t hate my guts is beyond me. Her love for John reminds me of only one other love I knew--Grand for Papa. I’ve seen that bond, a bond stronger than circumstance, stronger than ambition. Still, the bond is so rare one stops and wonders with an envious heart. We all want that love. I think we all know, or at least strongly suspect that love is beyond our reach, in this life, as Von might say.

Of our own crew, Trev perhaps more so . . .

Kyra’s comm buzzed. “I’ll be right there.”

6 comments:

Autumn Storm said...

"Ooh!"

Yey, a chapter, what joy, I can't tell you. :-) Just like Kyra and the crew, a fact that goes without saying is that when there is quiet for a while, we miss new chapters, but never does one realize quite as much until that moment between knowing there is one and starting to read it. :-)

Always amazes me how you and thereby we are able to jump straight into that world as though we were never apart. Which we aren't. Jump into not just action, but every mood and everything that went before. Hard to explain really, but like old friends that are able to pick up where they left off, that's what it's like to come back here to a new chapter whenever there has been a break.

The writing as always is superb. The chapters that give us insight into Kyra from her own perspective rather than being viewed through other people's eyes are special. More intimate somehow, there is an immediate sense of closeness that doesn't exist in the same way though those surrounding her may know her well. These are her thoughts and with the many Kyra's that we see, as a child, as captain, as so many things, it provides a great opportunity to know a little more about what makes her tick.

Seems like we have been waiting for so long to find out what happened, what would be the next step for all of them and it's with much relief and gladness to see them all, John, Cait and Ariel creating their own circle within the greater one, together and for the moment at least alive and relatively well.

Problems on their tail and there are without doubt plenty of unresolved issues in the corners of that ship, most predominantly perhaps Trev, but just for the minute, there is despite the thoughts of Bravo, of tension, etc, a sense of being able to take a breather. (For us at least, to know everyone is alive and together).

I may have stated otherwise in weaker moments, ;-), but there was never really any doubt that Cait would choose her family, choose John, and to see them through Kyra's eyes, to know that though they may not be back to how they once were and things have significantly changed for all of them, that the love they share has not. One of my all-time favourite chapters, or rather two, were of John coming home to Cait. For the reason of the Wolfe-inspired writing which is thrilling still even being being unable in detail anything but the feelings of reading it, but just as much or more for the depiction of their life together in that one night, of their love for one another. I remember reading that and thinking two things, one was lucky them, the second was lucky you. Beautiful writing then, now and always.

Excellent chapter, missed this!

Trée said...

Sweetest, it was good to have the time and desire to sit down and write. I was feeling the crew and the story was beginning to wear out its welcome on Kulmyk--so they left, if one wants to call escaping in the middle of the night leaving. :-D

Your kind and thoughtful words are nothing less than a blessing. Sometimes I hardly know what to say other than Thank You.

Sweet dreams when you get that far and I'll have coffee waiting when you wake.

Love,

Poppet

Anonymous said...

Hi :)

I've just stopped by for the first time in a couple of weeks and It's good to see you writing again, Trée! I've spent a few minutes catching up. Of course, the "Treehouse" has special significance to me, as I'm sure you know. I loved the art that went with it. Like my own treehouse, it shows something new and glowing and alive being birthed in the dark coolness and the protective limbs. Like a strong, leavy womb...

I found one sentence in this piece especially rivetting. "Traquility was built by hands seeking our destruction."

How often that is the case in life, if we are willing to surrender to a power greater than ourselves. The very things, events, that might have otherwised destroyed us can become - in time - the raw materials from which a deep, unshakable and abiding peace can come. It reminds me also of how our own souls make and form our lives, for good or for...not so good :). When we move beyond 'circumspect' with our own souls - embracing both the darkness and the light - we will, then, obtain our freedom. For no one outside of ourselves can free us - it is only the Truth within us that can.

And when we have achieved that peace and freedom, we can set down our defenses and no longer be worn out by our constant vigilence of an outer 'enemy'.

We become indestructible, because we come love.

I pray you are well, Friend. Namaste.

Trée said...

Grace, I am well. Thanks for asking. I loved your comment and agree with it totally. The greatest periods of growth I've experienced have come from my darkest days.

To become Love. I think that could be the title of this whole story and certainly the quest upon which Kyra ventures. I love that phrase--To Become Love. Perfect!

Much love to you my friend and a measure of peace too. :-)

Anonymous said...

Hi!
Great words...
To Become Love....:)
Just appreciating your writing .
How ar you?

(*_*)

Uma

Trée said...

I'm well Uma. Thanks for the kind words and always a pleasure to have you stop by. :-)