Saturday, June 02, 2007

286. With Bitter Verve


“Morning Yul, how are you?” asked Mairi.

Yul moved her eyes without moving her head giving Mairi a look as cold as a witch's tit.

“I did what I had to do.”

Yul pulled her hand away.

Mairi sighed.

“I want you to leave.”

Mairi looked without expression.

“Now.”

Mairi started to speak, stopped and then said, with effort, “As you wish.” She walked to the door and before leaving looked back. “Yul?”

Yul did not response.

“Frail you you ungrateful betoch,” said Mairi, with calculated bitter verve. She didn’t wait for a response she knew wasn’t coming.

Recommended soundtrack for this chapter: Bonnie Somerville's Winding Road

Alternative soundtrack: Yungchen Lhamo's Fade Away

Categories: Story, Yul, Mairi

10 comments:

Trée said...

Click the image to enjoy the full version. Peace.

Autumn Storm said...

The richness and depth within the circle reminds me of the 'Limitless' fractal from long ago. Simply gorgeous.

A single event can erect an insurmountable divide (or one that seems that way). Like a snapshot, that captured the quintessential, the pain is palpable as they turn from one another toward no-one.

Trée said...

As we discussed, this is a chapter for music, for what is not said, for who Yul is and all she has been through, and, in my mind, this chapter hits home with Yul breaking down as soon as Mairi leaves. I can see this one so strongly in my mind and for whatever reason, I want to be in that room when Yul loses it, and I want to . . . well, LOL, I suppose with Yul I don't need no stinking reason to want what I want. Ahh, to have been Trev that one night when he had his chance and he didn't have the wits to take opportunity when opportunity knocked. :-D

Inside our hands, outside our hearts said...

Perhaps fear or guilt played a role?

Trée said...

Inside, I would say both. Yul has almost died twice now in this story and twice she has been pulled back to the living, once by Kyra and now by Mairi. As you might not know, Yul has a very interesting past and is racked with guilt over how she took her sister's place on Bravo. So yes, she feels a weigh heavy, a deep tiredness.

I need to think about the fear part. I'm sure there is probably some of that too. :-)

~d said...

I like the converstaion...
ummm, (specifics...)
I like how Yul just plain told her to...GO.

(may I channel her strength?)

Trée said...

Yes ~d, you may. LOL. You know, I think you would find that Yul is a Hynerian after your own heart. ;-)

~d said...

(a high-near-eee-inn ??)

(smile!)

Trée said...

Yes, that too! LMAO!

Trée said...

Y, I've missed you too. :-)