Sunday, June 24, 2007

299. Jackassery


Rog: So you have a dream chip?

John: Von, would you tell our friend it might be best if he kept his frailing mouth shut.

Rog: Why?

John: Why! Are you shiotting me?

Rog: What?

John: Von, you want to take this one?

Von: No John, I think you’re doing just fine.

Rog: You’re not still mad are you?

John: Mad? You think I’m mad? Von?

Von: Rog, if I may, I think the fact that there is a small chance we will not regain our sight, and the fact that cause and effect points to your, how do I say it, Jackassery, well, I think that might have something to do with John’s attitude.

John: Jackassery. Thank you Von. You know what Jackassery is Rog?

Rog: (quiet)

John: I’ll tell you what Jackassery is! It’s you pulling out that las pistol. What the frail were you thinking?

Rog: You know what I was thinking . . . .

John: Well?

Rog: (raises voice) I was thinking someone was going to get off his arse and do something! You heard the same cries I did.

John: Yeah, well, did you not think maybe, just maybe, Von knew what he was talking about? Maybe, just a little? (holds out hand and uses fingers to illustrate before realizing no one could see him)

Rog: Look. I did what I did and it is what it is. I’m not going to apologize for making something happen. In fact—

John: Don’t frailing say it.

Rog: Frail you. In fact—

Kyra: Rog. John. Let it go. Intent, by both parties, was pure and I find no fault in either the action or inaction, as the case may be. Von, you were right. Rog, I love you for being yourself. I wouldn’t want to go into harm’s way without you. And John, get use to it. This won’t be the last time you see some Jackassery out of Rog. (slight pause and then she starts laughing, followed by Von, John and Em)

Rog: Kyra?

Kyra: Yes Rog?

Rog: I love you too.

Kyra: You’re welcome Rog. Now I suggest you guys get some rest. We’ll be docking in about twelve hours.

John: Kyra?

Kyra: Yes John?

John: Care to tell us what happened?

Kyra: No, not really.

John: Okay. Just thought I’d ask. You know, since, well . . . .

Kyra: Don’t push it John. Remember, I still have your chip.

Rog: Yeah John, she still has your chip.

John: Frail you.

Rog: You got that half right.

John: What?

Rog: I’m just saying.

Kyra: Hey. Enough. Lights out. See you in eight. (turns out the lights and leaves)

Rog: Nice job Disco.

John: You're welcome, Jackassary.

12 comments:

Autumn Storm said...

Some pairings are so easy and familiar, like walking in on a scene that we have seen a million times before. The actual cause matters less in this respect than the way that they interact with each other, bringing out reflections of a trait they both possess.
Must be more than a little scary to be in such a vulnerable position, to have one's sight lost without warning and not knowing whether it will be coming back. John and the others have enough reason to start laying the blame, however even though John is in what can only be described as a bit of a hmpf over events, nobody does. As Kyra said, his intent was pure, he needed to help, to try to do something, and it is a lovable trait in him, regardless of the predicament it caused.
Seems so long since Bravo left the City of Hope, certain characters seem to have been in limbo. Perhaps it was the splitting of the crew members that caused this feeling more so than any lack of attention paid to them, they simply have been apart, seperate, and so it feels as though we have been less privy, further away in some cases.
Wonderful chapter, the exchange though serious in places, though Kyra refuses to share what went on with the others, though they are at least momentarily blinded, brought smiles.
Yep, sure is good to have you back. :-)

Trée said...

Does seem like it's been forever since that night of karaoke. You know, those couple chapters, with the whole crew together, singing, having a good time, eight glasses not seven, those were good times. I think back on that chapter, and that night seems real in my memory, like it really happened.

Rog is Rog in this chapter. John is a bit stressed, in part from his predicament, and in part from coming home and knowing what he is going to have to face. Remember, he was not given permission to take this mission, so in effect, he has been AWOL, with stolen property (the vessel). So, not only does he have to face Cait, he has to face himself and he has to face the music professionally. So, although Rog is excited to "see" Yul again, John is in a little different boat. Let's just say he is lacking a bit of humor at the moment. :-D

As always, thank you Sweetest for those very kind words. :-)

Mona said...

Jackassary!! Is that googleable? LOL

is the chip doing its rounds too?

Trée said...

Not sure Mona. Let me know what you find out. :-D

I'm still waiting on Sunshine's chip. Just want to check up on what I've been up to. ;-)

Trée said...

A Jackassary is one who practices Jackassery. ;-)

Oliviah said...

"Jackassery", LOL! That was a fun chapter. Chapters like this just make them all become more and more real. You are brilliant, the way you have them interact. I smiled the whole time I was reading this.

Trée said...

Oliviah, I did too, smile that is. This chapter was born on the ride back from Taco Bell. I was hungry and in a pissy mood, because I was hungry. So as I'm driving home with my tacos I'm thinking about the story and I'm thinking someone has got to be pissed at Rog for pulling out that las pistol and blasting those holes that has caused everyone to be "temporarily" blind. Well, John, for the reasons stated above, was the natural choice. A bit out of character for the John we are used to seeing, but then again, stress does strange things to people. ;-)

As always O, a pleasure to have you stopping by. More love and hugs and kisses my dear woman. :-)

Keshi said...

Came to the bridge...left a kiss on the concrete...did u get it Tre? :)

Keshi.

Trée said...

I did Keshi, I did. Happy Birthday my Dear Angel from the Southern Hemisphere. Your eyes are like cisterns after a warm spring rain. I could fall and fall and fall into them and never need to come up for breath. :-)

Keshi said...

**Your eyes are like cisterns after a warm spring rain. I could fall and fall and fall into them and never need to come up for breath. :-)

seriously? Im stoked ;-)

Keshi.

Keshi said...

lets get married Tre :):)

Keshi.

Trée said...

Keshi, you are the first woman to have proposed to me. Most just want to get in my pants and have their way with me then toss me aside when their needs are met--until the next time. :-D

One condition. We must elope. I can't stand ceremony and pomp and all the rest of it. Tell everyone to send money. I've got some ideas as to what we can do with it.

Seriously my dear, you have eyes to fall deeply and forever into. Gives me chills just thinking about them. :-)