Tuesday, August 29, 2006

Prayers for Kayla


If you have a minute to spare, the young lady above, Kayla, could use a few thoughts and prayers. Tomorrow morning, Osteosarcoma (bone cancer) will claim her right leg via a surgeon's knife. She is sixteen.

From my friend Karen's blog:

A member of our family, Susan’s niece, Kayla has been battling Osteosarcoma (bone cancer) since April. Kayla has an incredible spirit and has the bravery of an army despite only being 16. She has kept fighting despite chemotherapy wiping away her energy, it has not squashed her spirit. Tomorrow at 7am EST, Kayla will have her right leg amputated. I cannot imagine how scared she is or what she’s going through but she’s still fighting - fighting for her life.

Kayla and her family, as well as Susan’s family, need our thoughts and prayers. If you could, tomorrow morning, say a prayer for them, or send some good thoughts their way. It may not seem like much to do, but I have felt everyone’s thoughts and prayers last year when I was fighting for my life and I know it works and it means more than words can express.


Kayla's response to the initial outpouring of support:


Kayla said...Hello fellow bloggers online This is Kayla, the niece you have been keeping in your prayers and rooting hard for. I just dropped by to say how much I appreciate all of your kind wishes and thoughts and how I was absolutely over whelmed when I recieved papers and papers of messages from all over the world, never mind, the country!!! ^_^ It made me so happy to see the response from people and it totally gave me the boost I needed. ^^ Thank you, every one!! I am most grateful!! Cancer has touched every individual in one way or the other. No matter how hard you struggle to avoid it, it manages to infect even the purest soul. =( But you know what? That's the thing with hope and faith. It never lets the darkness corrupt. It fights it until the very end. And even when fighting seems like the very last thing you'd want to endure any longer, even when the pain seems so undurable, innerly and physically.....You fight it. Why bother? It's the only way to survive. Life has much meaning and I plan to decipher it through this battle. I promise you I plan on coming out of this as a gleaming champion because there is no way in hell I am letting a stupid, insignifigant tumor take me!! *kills it with sword* MUHAHAHA! DIE tumor!! ^__^ I may not look the same as I did before, but then again, I don't think the same either. o__O Funny how that works, yes?

Update (from her Aunt): 9/1

Kayla is doing very well.

Thankyou everybody for your support. Our prayers were heard. She got safely through surgery and recovery. She is now back in her room on the oncology ward.

On top of that, Keith called us this evening, with more good news!

When Kayla went in for surgery, She wasnt sure how much of her leg the surgeons would be able to save. She is glad that they were able to use the prefered tecnique called Van Nes Rotationplasty, which leaves a good basis for a prosthesis. That means she will have the greatest mobility possible. She still has alot of rough days ahead, but with her determination and alot of hard work she will be able to do so many things. She is tired and in some pain, but seems pleased with how things went. Tommorrow they plan on getting her up out of bed to try standing. I forget to ask if she will be useing crutches or a walker. She has to learn to balance herself properly. She has apparently already looked at her leg, some people take much longer to psych them selves up to view the results of the surgery. When family went in, she asked them if they wanted to see too! That says alot to me about how well she is going to cope.

18 comments:

sgdish said...

My thoughts and prayers are with Kayla, her family and friends. Words cannot describe the bravery this young woman shows in her winning battle.

Kel-Bell said...

All my heart, soul and intent for Kayla, in this moment of Reiki meditation.

Meticulousness said...

I'll pray for her today Insha'allah.
Truely blessed Trée :)

Karen said...

Thank you so much for posting for Kayla and thank you to everyone for their prayers, thoughts, and meditations.

Trée said...

Karen, thoughts and prayers and a blog post are the very least we can do. I think and hope you will see many more comments of support for Kayla. I can't tell you how much that picture and her smile moves me.

It is late August. She is sixteen. Instead of worrying about school and classes and boys, she is losing her right leg tomorrow morning and I assume the battle begins from there.

As I said, thoughts and prayers and a blog post are the least I can do. Been thinking of her all day. Godspeed.

tsduff said...

I have faith in the power of prayer: it isn't always what we know or hope for, but the supplications are noted. Kayla is in my prayers.

Stargazer said...

My warmest thoughts surround Kayla.

Anonymous said...

Hi for Kayla hope and prayers
wish kayla well
Thanks for sharing
Wish you all well

tsduff said...

Kayla - you go girl~!~ Your optimistic and strong spirit is wonderful and inspiring.

Anonymous said...

Kayla, my thoughts and prayers are with you. Also, I am sending good vibes and karma your way.

JC

SaffronSaris said...

Thoughts and prayers with Kayla too, brave girl!

Anonymous said...

Hospitals do not stop us. Tumors and evil cells do not stop us. We are survivors. Our scars are beautiful because we have gone beyond the easy, laughed at the hard and SOARED through the impossible. You are a WARRIOR. You are strong. You are surrounded by the love of total strangers who will hold you up when you're tired. You're loved, kiddo. And by the time you read this, the hard part will be over. Hugs from GhostPlane.

Karen said...

She is brave and wise beyond her years, and even my years...

Trée said...

Karen, I am so pleased to hear that the surgery went without complications. Everytime I read her note, I'm struck by how bright and strong and wise her spirit is. Is is a quite remarkable young lady.

Trée said...

A message from my dear sweet Livvy on the grid forums:

Sweet Trée, that precious, darling Kayla!
I'm sorry that I've NEVER been able to leave a message on your website.
So dear Trée, for me, tell darling Kayla to keep fighting....she is not alone, ever.

Keshi said...

Angel blessings on her way!

Keshi.

Anonymous said...

Three very wonderful faces in that photo, Kayla's words only intensified that impression. Coming in a little late, I get to see the before and after. Kayla's words first, so very courageous and hopeful and completely inspiring and Karen's update showing that though only 16 and going through such a trial, Kayla's strength of spirit and heart, so obvious in her written words, has carried her through and will continue to do so. I'm so glad the operation went so well, lots of love and best wishes for the future - know only what I see and read here, but it is wholly aparent, that Kayla makes and will continue to make a special mark on her surroundings.
Autumn

Trée said...

Autumn, my dear sweetest one, thank you very much for taking the time to leave Kayla a few words. I cannot tell you how much I appreciate the effort to give comfort to another in pain, especially one so young and showing so much courage in the face of harm's way. If we don't have each other, what do we really have?