Tuesday, August 22, 2006

141. Pinkster

“Emy, Emy, wake up,” said Pinky, poking and prodding the sleeping young Hynerian as she hovered above her bed, the soft pink light from her oculators illuminating the room like a gentle nightlight.

“Go away Pinkster,” moaned Emy, half awake. She pulled the warm sheets over her head and wiggled back into the fetal position, hoping Pinky would get the message.

“I think you’ll want to hear what's going on,” cooed Pinky. “I got the lowdown directly from Goldie. You’d be mad at me if I didn’t tell you.” Pinky was a gift from her seafaring father. He had purchased the cogitor south of the Nusian peninsular on one of the trips Emy had stayed home to attend an art seminar. Pinky was going to be a birthday gift until the sudden climate change; as such, she became the last material exchange between father and daughter.

“Pinky, we’ve been over this before. I’m not interested in the gossip you exchange with Goldie. Besides, can’t you see, I’m sleeping. Now go away.” Dang cogitors, thought Em, if they can program them to gossip why the frail can't they program them to understand the most basic of Hynerian needs, namely, sleep.

“Emy, my darling dear child, this isn’t gossip, it’s a plan and if you don’t wake up, it’s going to happen without you. You see, Rog is—“

“A plan? What are you talkin bout Pinkster?” said Emy, sitting up in bed, her hands corkscrewing the sleep from her eyes. “This better be frailing good or we’re going to have another talk about your non-sentient access.”

“I know, I know, I do love to exchange potential useful information on occasion.”

“Pinky!”

“Promise. No gossip. Rog went to rescue Mairi and has got himself in a hornet’s nest of trouble. Poor lad, I know he means well. Such a handsome--”

“Pinky, please.”

“Sorry child, I do get carried away. As I was saying, Rog is in trouble. Las fire you know. Not good. Outnumbered I hear.”

“P-i-n-k-y!!”

“Yeah. Sorry. Kyra, Von and Yul are going on a rescue mission. They’re over in Von’s quarters right now. If you don’t hurry, you’re going to miss them.”

Emy jumped out of bed. The thought of not being included fueled her desire to be seen as an equal. After the mission on Neraj she felt a certain bond with Rog, shared experiences no one else could claim. Besides, he liked her art work. That alone was worth rescuing she reckoned.

Kyra came tumbling out of Von’s quarters and right into Emy causing both to fall to the floor. “Emy, what are you doing up?” asked Kyra, caught off-guard.

“You’re not going without me,” said Emy.

“I don’t think you want to go where we are going,” responded Von.

“Thanks for making assumptions about what you think I want or don’t want,” said Emy.

“We don’t have time for this,” interrupted Yul with just a slight irritation in her voice.

“I can handle a weapon as well as anyone here,” said Emy, her tone indignant. “What do you think my father taught me on those long journeys south of Point Unknown? Yul’s got a pulse rifle, model 945, last used in the Vespusian campaign--single charge, multi-fire. Von, you’ve got duel proton magnum las blades, modified for Blue Onyx divisions and rumored, I believe, to be issued exclusively for Zing Tao use. And Kyra,” Emy paused, “I don’t know what the frail that is in your left hand.”

Kyra looked up at Von who just shrugged his cheeks with a slight tilt of his head.

“It’s a Ji Shield,” said Kyra. “Von, get her equipped and be quick. We’ve got to move.”

“Whoa, whoa whoa,” snapped Yul. “You’re not—“

“She’s coming Yul. We need all the firepower we can manage,” answered Kyra.

Emy smiled. She knew opportunity when she saw it. Sticking it to Yul was just a bonus.

“Come with me,” said Von. “I think I have just the thing for you.”

Categories: Story, Pinky, Emy, Kyra, Von, Yul

25 comments:

Kay said...

I LOVE IT!!
Trace! I Miss you!!

BBB, I miss you too!! Wonderful work as always--I just love this image!

Dzeni said...

Great prose. Thanks for making my rather tough day better. Cool graphic too :)

Trée said...

Jenni, if my post was able to make your day a little better, then I am honored and humbled and pleased. Take care my friend. :-)

And, as always, thanks for the kind words.

Trée said...

BBB, congrats on your 300th post! Nice pic too. :-)

I'm feeling like a midnight snack. Care to meet me in the kitchen? :-D

Sweet dreams.

Trée said...

Thanks Trace.

Stargazer said...

...and the plot thickens.

I followed one of your links to 'Helix Point'. I must have missed that post, because I don't remember the image at all. I've added it to one of my favorites, as I really really really like it.

--Happy Wednesday :)--

Trée said...

Deb, thanks for stopping by. I'm sure there are a lot of chapters folks have missed along the way, which is why I'm trying to link them where appropriate to help fill in the story. So glad you liked Helix Point. That was the first image I did using an alpha plane with an actual photograph.

tsduff said...

I forgot all about that gorgeous artwork. Nice to refresh my memory. I forgot about Em too... man alive, there is so much going on. But I know you've got it all under control.... :-D

Trée said...

Terry, Em's been feeling a little left out lately and has a bit of an attitude about it. We might see that change just a bit in the chapters to come. :-)

As far as control, I've long since given up any illusion that I control anything. :-D

tsduff said...

that was a joke, son... :-D

Trée said...

Oooh, I'll take as many so those as I can get. Are they expensive? ;-)

tsduff said...

Jokes? Expensive? Hmmm, you been down too long boy! They is free around heah

Trée said...

Mmm, jokes for free. Have you been messing with something I don't know about? :-D

My jokes always come back to cost me big time. :-)

Keshi said...

I've missed a couple of ur wonderful posts Tre...but I will make sure I read em all soon. Great pics BTW!

Keshi.

Kay said...

Still up for a midnite snack? I'm famished! :)

Trée said...

Thanks Keshi. :-)

Take your time. One of those chapters even has its own sound track. :-D

Trée said...

Oooh BBB, the one night I go to bed early. And I was feeling a bit famished too. :-D

Intergalactic Stacey said...

I love the contrast between the green and pink in this fractal. Excellent job!

Trée said...

Thanks Stacey. I had to do a bit of post-processing to turn the orginal red to more of a pink. You can see the original on my other site--Trebuchet (link is on my sidebar). Good to see you visiting again. :-)

Autumn Storm said...

It's all getting a bit repetitive, I know, but it's a habit of mine when I have a firm opinion and worry that it may just sound like words. Each chapter and some in particular serve as reminders of how big and intertwined a work this is now, can't help but wow at that thought every time it enters my mind. I do so love all that you have created within this story (wonderful frac, and reminding me of one of my all time faves with ref to Emy's artwork), it is all so seamless and flawless and so much more than that and yet it's a work in progress (yes, again, I know, repetitive). Makes me think what other wonderful things you are storing up there :-), not that that wasn't implied anyway.
Like the recent mixed themes, all within the same chapter, makes them even meatier.
Absolutely intrigued as always to see what happens next!

Trée said...

Oh my, Sweetest, with a comment like that I think I need to pass around the "lower your expectations" kool-aid. A few swigs and you'll be berry very happy with the next few chapters. :-D

I'm not really sure how to follow such wonderful and loving words. I do so love how much time and effort you put in your comments and I do know they come from the heart.

You know, you also have the unique ability to make me feel as if you know this story as well if not better than myself and I feel your sincere enthusiasm in almost every comment you leave. I've said it before and I'll say it again, your comments motivate the heck out of me to continue the story. I wish I had the words to express how much they mean to me.

Thanks for being so darn special. :-D

Signed by the gang:

Poppet, Sweet Pea and me

Autumn Storm said...

Dear The Gang :-D

Wish I had more time, not only to respond to that comment, but to comment on 'On you I depend', but I need to try and make it a little farther around this evening, so leaving you with much love and hugs too :-) Have a great one!

Trée said...

The Gang fully understands. Besides, you have given us much happiness tonight. Now run along and go have fun. We'll be here when you get back. :-)

Autumn Storm said...

'Lower my expectation'
Nah ah!
Impossible!
Couldn't do that if I tried!

Besides, all that would achieve would be an even greater case of whiplash the next time around. :-)

Love to the gang, x

Trée said...

Well, you know, if you were to get whiplash, Poppet would be right there to work it out. :-D