Monday, August 21, 2006

140. On You I Depend

I have seen peace. I have seen pain.

“Yul, tell us what you know,” said Kyra.

“Rog and I were enjoying the evening and we heard odd sounds from down the corridor. Rog grabbed his stuff to investigate. Twenty minutes later, he hadn’t returned so I went to check on him. The door to his quarters was open but no sign of him. I noticed the door to Mairi’s quarters was open too and no sign of her either,” said Yul.

Resting on the shoulders of your name.

“What sort of odd sounds?”

“Loud voices, metal banging on metal, more hurried urgent voices and then silence. I told Rog to leave it alone. The bed was warm, we had nowhere to go, and besides, well, we had unfinished business,” said Yul as Von fought back a smile.

Do you see the truth through all their lies?

“Von, any ideas on why they aren’t answering their responders?” asked Kyra.

Before Von could answer distant las fire echoed through the room. “Oooh, that’s not good is it,” quipped Yul.

Do you see the world through troubled eyes?

“No, that’s not good,” responded Von. “My guess, they came for Mairi and Rog caught them in the act or followed them. Either way, he is facing impossible odds.”

“Taren, this is Kyra. Can you tell me what is going on?”

And if you want to talk about it anymore,

Silence. “He’s not responding.”

Intensity of las fire picked up. “Kyra—static—outnumbered—static—can’t—oh shiott--“

Lie here on the floor and cry on my shoulder,

“Rog! Rog, copy. Rog?” Nothing. “We got to move but all I’ve got is a las pistol,” said Kyra, a sense of relaxed intensity in her voice, her crystal blue eyes looking more steely than blue.

Von stood up. “I think I might be able to assist. Follow me.”

I’m a friend.

Von wasn’t kidding. His Ji Shield was the tip of the iceberg. “What the frail Von,” said Yul, “afraid the Javalinas were going to come back for ya?”

“Hope for the best my friend, but prepare for the worst,” said Von, picking up a pulse rifle. “Try this on for size Yul, that is if you think you can handle such a large tool.”

I have seen birth. I have seen death.

“If I can handle Rog I think I can hand this,” said Yul, taking the instrument in her hands. Her delicate facial features belied her core strength honed in the countless hours she had spent training with Kyra. Von couldn’t help but admire the definition in her arms.

“Yes, I think you can,” smiled Von.

Lived to see a lover’s final breath.

“What have you got in there for me,” asked Kyra.

“I want you to take the shield. Zeke would have wanted it that way. Strap it to your left forearm. Feel the energy flow,” said Von, watching as the center of the shield came to life with a brilliance he hadn’t seen since her Papa had last worn the ancient relic.

Do you see my guilt? Should I feel fright?

Rog wiped the sweat from his brow. Las fire singed the bulkhead just inched above his head. His two las pistols hummed in recharge. The corridor was lit with green and red and the occasion blue ray of energy. He couldn’t see his attackers but then again, he thought, they can’t see me either.

“Lieutenant, what seems to be the problem?” asked Taren, with just a tinge of frustration in his voice. With Mairi in their hands, he could not communicate with his squad other than by normal means, which meant less than secure.

Is the fire of hesitation burning bright?

“Red leader, do you read?” queried Kulmyk command.

“Loud and clear,” responded red leader, his Vollmond approaching target lock.

And if you want to talk about it once again,

“Taren, I need that girl here now,” commanded Shen.

“We’re working on it,” said Taren.

On you I depend. I’ll cry on your shoulder.

Kyra held the shield in her arm. Her whole body flooded with the strangest sensation as the shield responded to her wishes. It moved, like her arm, without thought, without effort as if the very instrument had become a part of her body. “Rog, not sure if you can hear me. Hang tight. We’re on our way,” said Kyra.

You’re a friend.

[ed note: Lyrics from James Blunt's Cry. Imagine the song playing in the background as this chapter plays itself out.]

Categories: Story, Kyra, Von, Yul, Rog, Taren, Shen

32 comments:

Trée said...

Thanks Trace. I had more fun writing this chapter than any other. I feel the music and lyrics tie the drama of events together in a single package. Everyone is on edge, yet, underlying it all is that shoulder, the shoulder that is always there.

tsduff said...

Nice integration of lyrics - I thought they were your creation until I read the note at the bottom. Blunt is coming to the bay area - maybe I'll get lucky.

I love reading about the shield on Kyra's arm.

Trée said...

Terry, I just added a link to the ed note for Cry (click on the word Cry)that will take you to the live AOL concert. There you can see him live, from Columbus I think, singing most of his songs.

As always, thanks for the kind words and if you get the change to see him in concert, well, I wouldn't miss it for the world. :-)

Karen said...

I like how the lyrics are tied in with the story, I don't know the song, but I like it because of the lyrics. Awesome chapter.

I hope you and Jack are getting through your Monday. *HUGS* to you both.

P.S. I'm trying to be yellow ;-)

Stargazer said...

Some exciting stuff going on here, and I agree that the song lyrics compliment your words. Nicely done :)

I also checked out your Web album. Looking through all the images gives your story even more dimension. And it reminded me how awesome ALL your creations are. Trée, you are very talented - both your writings and artwork.

I like the Picasa Web album format. I'll have to check it out ;).

Trée said...

Karen, if you only listen to one James Blunt song, you must listen to Cry. I have over 200 plays of this song on my iTunes and still I could see listening another 200. The song just does not get old for me. It has the most delicious mix of sadness and hope with hope and love and compassion in friendship triumphing.

Jack and I thank you for your kind words. By the way, if you click the Cry in the ed notes it will take you to a version of Cry performed live. Enjoy my yellow friend. :-)

Trée said...

Deb, I was inspired this morning to do something a little different. I felt a lot of energy running through this chapter and the idea of a soundtrack playing as the characters acted out his piece in 3/4 to 1/2 speed just made the chapter come alive for me.

I tried to put myself in each characters' shoes, but mostly in the shoes of Rog, needing help after trying to help. I like the sense of comraderie in this post. Rog looking out for Mairi, Kyra, Von and Yul coming to help Rog. I like the way this one defines the bond and relationships.

I've been very please so far with the Picasa Web Albums. It is still in beta and lacking most of the features of flickr, but I think Google will fix all that over time.

As always Deb, thanks for your kind words. :-)

Yemanja said...

Tree, I really love your new look... It's very masculine, just the way i like it!!! ;-)

I wrote something for you tonight...I hope you like it! kisses Darlin'.

~Y

Dzeni said...

Very cleverly done. Love the graphic too.

ChickyBabe said...

The image reminds me of an iris, not quite the Stargate but something similar.

Trée said...

Y, thanks for the sweet words on the new layout. I'm really liking beta.blogger.

A dedication--wow. I think I have a new fave post. I'm honored and touched. Well, not quite touched like I want to be touched, but I do have an active imagination. Thanks so much Y! :-D

I must say, however, the post detailing the scene on the train is still perhaps my all time fave. Are there any trains that run through Austin? :-D

Karen said...

Thanks, I will listen to it. It doesn't take much for me to cry LOL

I'm feeling quite pink today, which is one of "my colors."

Trée said...

Thanks Jenni. Sometimes the chapter just flows and just happens without much effort. I sat down yesterday morning, put on my iTunes and Cry came on and then the whole chapter just wrote itself in about twenty minutes. Writing without effort, which doesn't happen often, is a very, very sweet sensation. Times like this, I don't feel as if I'm the one actually writing the chapter--it just comes from somewhere else.

Trée said...

Chicky, the original image "the shield" comes from is perhaps my all-time fave creation. It is currently featured on my sidebar, althought that might change before you have a chance to see it. Peace. :-)

Trée said...

Karen, I hope your "pink" is a good thing. If not, there is always a shoulder here for you; and Jack too of course. :-D

If Cry makes you cry, I promise they will be tears of happiness not tears of sadness. :-)

Jack B. said...

Sort of like a movie soundtrack, huh? Until you mentioned they were the words of a song I thought they were the thoughts of that razor thingie in the picture - sort of a sentient lifeform watching things.

Trée said...

Oooh, now that would have been a very cool idea Jack. You should send these ideas to me before I write the chapter. :-D

Trée said...

Meg, you've earned extra credit not only for recognizing the song but for playing it while reading the post. I'm moving you to the front of the class, five gold stars and extra time at recess. Or, perhaps, we need to have a private after school meeting to properly show our appreciation. Do you own any plaid? :-D

As always, thanks for the very kind and sweet words. :-)

Autumn Storm said...

Hey Sweet Stuff! Afraid all I've got time for right now was to read and a quick WOW, be back soon. Hope all's well down your way, happy Tuesday to you, xoxo

Trée said...

My dearest Sweetest, even a short visit brings me much joy. Hurry back. I'll keep the light on. :-)

Poppet

Anonymous said...

WOW! I just had to comment! I stopped by yesterday and noticed all the changes? Then I couldn't comment! What's happened to blogger? New version? Okay, all that aside what an AWESOME frac! I love the central part of it, it has ENERGY. Electro-magnetic touching energy that's just burning, yet all contained. That's what it says to me!

That you incorporated those lyrics is simply a bonus.

Love is GRAND my friend, LOVE is GRAND!

Hugs all the way from here! :-)

Trée said...

Leigh, so good to have you visiting from Spain, a country I have not visited except through the eyes of television commentators working the Vuelta. Hope and trust you are having a fabulous time. :-)

This is one of my fave images. It was taken in part from the spiritual form of Ji (see web album on sidebar) and superimposed on a shield: thus, the Ji Shield was born--a long retired relic from the early days of the Zing Tao. Zeke gave it to Von. And the image, is just as you described it. Magnificent eye you do have, but I already knew that from your marvelous photos. :-)

I've moved to beta.blogger, which is the next version not quite ready for primetime. I've had some issues trying to leave comments as I'm sure some have had that problem here. Somehow, with a little patience, it seems to work. In time, as all blogger blogs are transitioned to the new format, these issues will go away. I will say, I'm in love with everything I've seen so far with the new blogger and I'm looking forward as they implement the rest of the changes.

Thanks for being persistent in commenting. I always do love to read your feedback and insight. And, yes, Love is Grand!

Hugs and kisses back at ya. :-)

Yemanja said...

Sweetie! The train runs just outside my balcony... That's how i came up with the story! ;-)

Trée said...

Oh my fricken my. You have now cause my imagination to go into overdrive. I really must stop reading Boll who seems to have a train in just about every story he writes. :-D

Yemanja said...

LOL... You're awesome Darlin'!! ;-D

Trée said...

Oh Y, that is such a wonderful comment to read as I head toward peaceful slumber. Thank you for so many sweet gifts my darlin'. :-)

Yemanja said...

Awww, for you Darlin'...I'll do anything! *smiles* Sweet dreams...

Trée said...

You do make me smile Y. I'll do my best on those dreams. :-)

Anonymous said...

Amazing Image
Music is everything to me so really enjoyed the way it is weaved through...
(*_*)
the regular anon

Trée said...

Good to see you again my one and only Regular Anon. :-)

I have always been at my most inspiried with music playing. One day I should do a study of my bowling scores with and without music. I always seem to do so much better, have such stronger focus and intensity and feel so much more in the tube or groove or flow when there is music.

Thanks for the kind words. So glad you enjoyed this one. Since I only used half of the song's lyrics don't be surprised to see another chapter using the second half. :-D

Autumn Storm said...

I have seen peace. I have seen pain. Both sides to make the whole, same for everyone and who knows what tomorrow will bring, either way we deal with it knowing if it's hard, there's help to be had and that eventually sooner or later, things will get easier. Another cliffhanger you have going on here, and yet more poignant and urgent that the others just by it's quietness (for lack of a better word).
Hear those lyrics sung as I read it and it translates wonderfully to the words that are yours. Very nicely done!! Cry is all over the chapter. Who knows what the outcome will be, but whatever happens, everyone is in it together.
These things are much easier to comment on when it's an initial impression, bummed that I had to wait, but all in all, that initial WOW was spot-on.
Always something new, keeps the story that much more alive.

Trée said...

My dear Sweetest, I do so love reading your comments. When I publish the book, I'll have to have chapter devoted just to the best comments and somehow I think I will see alot with your name. :-)

I was listening to Cry and this chapter just rolled out. For whatever reason, this was one of the easiest chapters I've written and the one I think I had the most fun writing. Almost everything you see here is as it was originally written, which is to say, very, very little editing or rewriting--and those usually make the best chapters.

If only they were all that way--see today's chaper for example--Memoir or Beer. I tried all day long to write the second half of this chapter. Just was not going to happen. I started with Shen in his quarters, which we are still going to see by the way because it still needs to be written, but then it just stalled. Not my ideas for the chapter but my ability to formulate them into anything near coherent thought.

So, I got off Shen and moved to Rog. After about five or six different starts and restarts I decided to shut it down. I was looking through some old images and this one of the hopper flight at night struck me as perfect for Rog in this scene. Then the idea of heading back to earth where Rog is trying to write his memoirs seemed like a perfect way to post all the crap I'd been trying to write. Now, if I had tried to write poorly, that would have been genius. What you see, however, is not trying to write poorly, but me trying to write well and it coming out like crap. So, I used Rog in the worse way to cover it up and still have a post. :-D

Somehow I don't think he minds. Is kinda nice to visit earth again.

Have a great weekend my dear Sweetest. Hugs and kisses from The Gang. :-)