Saturday, December 03, 2005

15. Reentry

Reentry from hyper-space travel elicited two immediate reactions from every deep space crew. Check the coordinates and check the systems control panel. Since this crew didn’t know where they were going in the first place the coordinates didn’t much matter and even if they did, they would have revealed nonsensical information within the uncharted territories. The systems panel was another matter.

Going into hyper-space always carried with it a sense of fate with a heavy dose of prayer. Two potential fatal dangers accompanied every trip—explosion and implosion. Wrong coordinates and the ship could potentially be blown to smithereens upon reentry into the same space as another object. If the coordinates were good, implosion, from a vessel stressed beyond its fatigue levels, and hyper-space placed as much fatigue on a ship as the most violent combat maneuvers, was a real possibility. Older vessels, for this very reason, seldom used hyper-space travel except as a last resort.

The only good news regarding these two dangers is that if either occurred, the occupants would never know. Death would come quicker than the mind could process any awareness that something had gone wrong, like going to sleep and never waking up is how the textbooks described it. Of course, since no one had ever lived to tell what it was like, many felt these explanations simply served to comfort and give courage to those brave enough to travel at risk. How one really died in these circumstances remained unknown and unknowable. Those who traveled deep space were well-paid and no one resented that fact. No risk, no reward as they say.

Bravo-Four-Zero, however, suffered a different fate, a fate both better and ironically, perhaps worst than never waking up, of going peacefully into the night. The crew was alive, but the systems panel was blinking and screaming that virtually every system onboard was in crisis.

Each onboard system was monitored on a single panel. Bluish-green was good—reddish- orange was bad. The entire cabin glowed an eerie red with the massive blinking red panel. Seems the crew was going to die, but no such luck to go peacefully. They were awake, aware, and scared out of their minds.

19 comments:

Anonymous said...

little probs with blogger today :0)

so I will try this again :0)

wow, wow and wow Trée

this fractal is wonderful, the depth and texture you are getting with these is amazing.

With the exception of Caribbean canopy which is my personal fave the story just keeps getting better!

Trée said...

As you can see, I've turned off Word Verification for now. Thanks Trace. Just trying to keep having fun and follow no rules for anything. Feeling any better?

Anonymous said...

figured that was the prob when I kept getting the same word LOL

I am a bit better today, to steal one of my grandmothers favortie phrases, I feel like I have been rode hard and put away wet LOL

been taking it easy, still waiting on some soup though LOL can't seem to bribe anyone to go and get some for me :0) and the weather is nasty and I'm not going out to get any :0).

You having a good day sweetie?

Anonymous said...

still can't type obviously should be favorite LOL

Trée said...

"rode hard and put away wet"

I think me and your grandmother would have gotten along just fine. :-)

Anonymous said...

ROFL she was like the rest of the women in my family---unique :0)

Trée said...

Just exactly what a man wants. :-D

Anonymous said...

Just exactly what a man wants

a unique woman?....or to be rode hard and put away wet LMAO

sorry couldn't resist :0)

Trée said...

:-D

Both!

Anonymous said...

ROFL let me just go get that cowboy hat :0)

Trée said...

I'll get mine too. It'll take your mind off your troubles. :-)

Anonymous said...

:0)

sweetie, my troubles disappeared with the sunrise this morning, but don't let that stop you from getting that hat ;0) oh you think you can manage one of those quaidesque grins for me too mr. educated southern, I think that would just about cure all my ills LOL

Trée said...

Well, I think we should start with a little internal temperture taking. Just to make sure you're not running a fever, cause I think the heat is gonna rise quickly and we won't be able to get an accurate reading later. :-D

Anonymous said...

yes I do think that would be the most accurate method, and I am starting to feel a bit warm :0)

Anonymous said...

So - in catching up, I have only gotten as far as the instrument panel, which is INCREDIBLE. The story is captivating if you start over and read it all again. Can you believe the life it has taken on? I love it.

Now, how did you get that strange "outline" effect on this fractal??

Trée said...

Aggie, this fractal was created with a program called Xaos (a freebie download) and the lines you see are part of the original fractal. I did work on this one in Photoshop to accent the panel and give it more of a 3D look but the lines were already there.

I would have never guessed this story would be where it is today. Just one fractal in front of another. That, and just having fun as opposed to trying to produce something for some purpose or somebody. It's fun to write and create with no rules and no editor, no expectations. Just write, just create. That's it. That's where the magic is. Never knew "Just" was a magic word did ya--lol. :-)

jillie said...

Looking at this picture make me feel like I am the lone star at the bottom with my elders looking down on me...about to hand me my verdict.

Very "isolating" I guess is a strange way to put it...

Almost kind of like the dementors in Harry Potter

Trée said...

Jillie, that is a very interesting take on this image and as I recall, not too far from what I originally saw in this one. So glad to see you in the archives. Have fun. :-)

Autumn Storm said...

Wow!
:-D