Saturday, October 15, 2005

Small Towns

In the last three weeks of Mario's life we took him in to the vet twice a day, morning and evening, everyday. As soon as we walked in, the endearing call of Mario's name was lovingly uttered from behind the desk and the staff ushered us to the back for Mario's fluids and shots. We joked that for Mario, walking into the vet's office was like walking into Cheers--Where everyone knows your name.

For three weeks we were given first-class service and red carpet treatment for our terminal little friend. Dr. Gibbs gave us her home phone number and told us she was availible 24/7 if Mario needed her. In the end, she was true to her word as she crawled out of bed and met us in the early morning hours on 10 minutes notice.

The day after we had to say goodbye to Mario, we sent the office a beautiful bouquet of flowers as a very small token of appreciation for service and love beyond the call of duty.

Yesterday around five o'clock I received a call from Dr. Gibbs. She was delighted we were home and, without asking, said her and the wife of the other vet in the office were going to drop by in five minutes. Besides the most furious house cleaning one has ever seen in five minutes the purpose of the visit was a mystery. Perhaps they had discovered something more on why Mario became ill, maybe they wanted to break the news lightly on what three weeks of twice a day service was really going to cost. Didn't know, but they were on the way.

Dr. Gibbs and Ms Woody showed up bearing gifts. They presented us with a wonderful card signed by everyone in the office and the comments were lengthily and heartfelt. They also presented us with a gift, a small yorkie figurine that was not inexpensive. We invited them in--for just a minute they said--and about forty minutes later conversation and stories were still being told in our living room.

The whole time this is happening my mind is in a blur. Even though I was witnessing a house call by my vet to offer consolation, not to mention bearing gifts, I just couldn't believe such behavior could or would happen in this day and age. Yet, before me, I felt as if the clock had been turned back and we were living in an age long passed, an age where neighbor's stood together and in times of grief or tragedy, came together as a family.

Franklin, although not the small town it was just ten years ago, still has that wonderful small town atmosphere and still has those wonderful souls that renew one's faith in mankind.

Dr. Woody, Dr. Gibbs and Ms Woody, I cannot find the words to say how much that simple visit meant to our family. Never in a million years would I have ever expected such a magnificent show of compassion. Thank You.

37 comments:

Anonymous said...

Thanks fo rstopping by. I am very sorry to hear of your lose. I know how important pets are.

I love Franklin. We lived in Murphy NC not so long ago and I truelly enjoyed that small town feeling.

Trée said...

beanhead, it was my pleasure to visit your beautiful site. Franklin is such a wonderful small town and as you might know, has been voted best small town in Tennessee. The downtown area looks much like it did many decades ago.

I've been here 12 years now and love it. Thanks for your thoughts on Mario. It has been a hard loss.

Trée said...

The image in this post, which I hope is seen as me holding Mario in the "last days," was created with Apophysis. The wonder of mathemathical formulas to represent matters of the heart.

Anonymous said...

Oh my...I'm sleepless tonight so I decided to see what you were upto, Trée...and now I can't stop the tears.

Vets are probably the most human of all humans, and even though they sometimes have to hurt to heal (the animals), I think that they really do care about them in a way that is extraordinary.

I'm so glad that this whole thing gave some kind of good memory to share and treasure for all of you. I have no doubt that Mario left you with some grand memories on his own, but maybe this was the kind of closure you all needed.
:hugs:

Trée said...

Thanks Christa. I'll still stunned at the visit, which was so nice I have to pinch myself to believe it really happened. Just when the non-nice people start wearing you down, you have an experience like that that just energizes your belief in the goodness of your fellow man/woman.

Anonymous said...

Yep...and that's why we never lose faith in humanity completely. There will always be "angels" out there who will reach out when we need them :)

Trée said...

Ooohh, I might have to post my angel fractal tomorrow. I think the timing would be right as it sits on top of the Mario. Thanks for that inspiration. I like to be uplifted in spirit right before bed, seems to make the dreams so much more peaceful and pleasant. Hugs and kisses my dear friend.

Anonymous said...

:hugs: Sweet dreams :)

Anonymous said...

This is a lovely, moving fractal.
Such a touching story. I've never known small-town life. I'd like to think it's just like this.

Trée said...

Aggie, Franklin is like this more often than not. Some of the nicest people I've ever met live around here. I've been blessed by fate to have somehow found my way here.

Anonymous said...

Damn Tree, this post almost has me in tears. This is the most wonderful post I've read anywhere in ages! It just goes to show that people like that really DO still exist out there. What a heart warmer!

Anonymous said...

Same sentiments from me as from Dawn.

Time and change has unfortunately often dulled this sort of community spirit and forthright caring, so when one is witness to such acts of open kindness, it has that unbelievable quality to it.

What truly wonderful, loving, caring people! - warming hearts and producing smiles!
Even as far as here :-)





PS Tart post has been moved down, but please read the response.

Anonymous said...

It is amazing how a little dog in Tenn. can bring so many good people together, in one accord.
The legacy of Mario lives on.

Trée said...

Dawn, that is about the most wonderful thing I think anyone could ever say about someone else's posting. Thank you so much for sharing that. Hope and trust things are moving in a positive direction with you. I'll stop by in a bit to check in. :-)

Trée said...

warming hearts and producing smiles!
Even as far as here


What a insightful observation of such power we should teach it in every grade in every school. The inverse works the same way too, unfortunately. Awareness in the moment helps us see the fork in the road and hopefully choose our path wisely. I pray everyday I will have the wisdom to see my forks in the road and make the right choices more often than not.

Thanks A for your thoughts on this. I like thinking like this early in the morning. Sets the tone for the whole day. :-)

Trée said...

phred, amazing is a very good way to put it. "The legecy lives on"--much food for thought there. :-)

Anonymous said...

I have lived in a small community next to a lake for more than a decade..these values still exist...thankful for them :)
blessings are all around us...

So sorry for your loss

Trée said...

Tara, thanks so much for your kind thoughts. Mario was a very special dog and the house just doesn't seem the same without him.

I've lived in big cities and small towns. I'll take the small towns. In Franklin, I feel I have the best of both worlds. Franklin for the small town and Nashville for many of the things a larger city can offer. Good to see you stopping by again. :-)

Anonymous said...

What a nice way to start my sunday, it is always so nice to see that there are still people that care in the world. It must be a good vet thing, I wouldn't trade mine for the world.

Hope you are taking it easy and taking care of you
(((((((((((hug)))))))))))

Trée said...

mergrl, so many vets I've known have been special souls. I wonder if the kind souls become vets or if being a vet softens the soul. As you might guess, I wouldn't trade our vets for any in the world.

As always, good to see you stopping by. I have this image in my mind of you doing lunges at the beach like on one of those morning fitness shows--lol.

Anonymous said...

I am so sorry to hear of your loss.

Trée said...

Thanks Karen. I hope you are feeling better this weekend. Thanks for keeping us updated on your blog.

Anonymous said...

What a story. What wonderful people. It is so good to hear about such things, strengthens my faith in humanity.

Thanks for sharing.

Trée said...

Melly, what's funny is I've read and re-read this story probably ten times. And I do it for the same reason everytime--it warms my heart and I wrote and lived the thing!

I almost didn't write this post because I thought "who would be interested in a house call by a vet?" Shows what I know.

Anonymous said...

Tree,
ROFL, I'll take the beach, you can have the lunges :0)

Trée said...

mergrl, only if I can do the lunges on the beach with you watching. Grab your suit, let's go. ;-)

Anonymous said...

I'm there :0)

Trée said...

Make sure you bring the lotion. Sunburns have a rather negative impact on activities later in the day. ;-)

Anonymous said...

What a wonderful group of people.

Trée said...

PM, we've been blessed with regard to our vets.

Anonymous said...

LOL of course

Trée said...

mergrl, we are gonna have some fun. I like the tropical scented kind. Oil is better than lotion. Besides, I'm sure I can probably provide a little lotion if we run short of the oil. ;-)

Anonymous said...

damn Tree you just sent my poor heart all a flutter :0)
you do know how to turn a girl's head (and make her think evil :0) thoughts.) LOL

Trée said...

mergrl, maybe I need to take out that "flutter" insurance my agent was trying to sell me last week. LMAO

Come to the dark side--it's always more fun. LOL

Anonymous said...

mmmmmmm the darkside LOL
I hear they have cookies there ROFL

(sorry I'm a little slap happy today, up late watching baseball and had 2 tests this AM yuck)

Trée said...

Cookies? Mmm, and I thought they were serving eclairs. LOL

Anonymous said...

;0)