Wednesday, September 07, 2005

Together

I have not the words for the outpouring of support our nation and the world has shown. Yesterday I was driving up Franklin road, had my iPod playing Louisiana 1927. At the exact moment (I'm not making this up) as the chorus played Louisiana, Louisiana, they're tryin to wash us away, I spied to my left a local church busting with activity. Signs everywhere for hurricane relief, parking lot filled with cars. Men, women and children earnestly carrying boxes of supplies inside. If I told you my eyes didn't fill with tears, tears of togetherness, tears of love, tears of compassion, I would be lying.

The invisible force that holds the universe together, call it love, often is hidden, unseen, forgotten. Yesterday I saw, unexpectedly, on a back road, that love personified. To the nation, to the world, thanks.

___________________________________


500 Miles



If you miss the train I’m on, you will know that I am gone
You can hear the whistle blow a hundred miles,
A hundred miles, a hundred miles, a hundred miles, a hundred miles,
You can hear the whistle blow a hundred miles.

Lord I’m one, lord I’m two, lord I’m three, lord I’m four,
Lord I’m 500 miles from my home.
500 miles, 500 miles, 500 miles, 500 miles
Lord I’m five hundred miles from my home.

Not a shirt on my back, not a penny to my name
Lord I can’t go a-home this a-way
This a-away, this a-way, this a-way, this a-way,
Lord I can’t go a-home this a-way.

If you miss the train I’m on you will know that I am gone
You can hear the whistle blow a hundred miles.


Peter, Paul & Mary

20 comments:

Anonymous said...

Wow...that was amazing. My eyes well up everytime I watch the news...it's so hard but I'm so glad everyone is helping. Enough pointing fingers...help first then we'll debate. You know?

Trée said...

Linny, love will pull us through this tragedy. No other force is strong enough. The stories of love and compassion from private citizens has been awe inspiring. They give me hope.

Anonymous said...

I've witnessed a lot of compassion, too. I think it was wonderful.

I rarely watch TV, much less local stuff... but last night the news was on and one of the survivors was on. She was here in Nashville and said she couldn't believe how great we Tennesseans were! She said she's been overwhelemed with open arms and everything she needs!

Warms my heart!

Trée said...

Jamie, love and compassion are verbs and to see them in action is a wonderful thing.

Anonymous said...

I love the cats! I love them they are so cute.

Dr. Fil

Trée said...

2:25 P.M. - WASHINGTON (AP): The anonymous donor turned up at a U.S. diplomatic office and presented an envelope with 1,000 euros (about $1,240) for Hurricane Katrina relief efforts.

It was a way of repaying a debt to the United States for being liberated by American soldiers from a concentration camp and treated more than 60 years ago, Sean McCormack, the State Department spokesman, said Wednesday in relating the incident.

The donor was 90 years old, but that is all McCormack would say by way of identification. "This is a person who is not seeking any publicity for this act -- which in the time we live makes it even more extraordinary," he said.

"This is a selfless act by somebody who is repaying what they felt was a deeply felt debt of gratitude to the United States," the spokesman said.

This is one of many stories from around the world of individuals being very generous with the American people at a time of need, McCormack said.

"It's extraordinary," he said.

Anonymous said...

The worst of times can sometimes bring out the best in us!

I'm glad Love and Compassion are still the glue that holds us all together.

BA~~68

Anonymous said...

I like the photo you have up of the two kittens. It made me want to go over and hug my kitten, John Henry.

Anonymous said...

What do we live for, if it is not to make life less difficult for each other? - George Eliot

Thanks so much for putting up a positive story -- there are so many more stories of love and compassion, and it helps all of us to hear them.

Many blessings,

Marilyn

Anonymous said...

A warm and powerful feeling comes over me every time I hear what people are doing for the survivors. There IS so much good still in this world, and it starts with us.

Have a good day! *hugs*

Trée said...

Marilyn, there are so many incredible stories of private citizens showing tremendous generosity. One day someone will publish these stories.

Hey Karen. How are those bananas? ;-)

Anonymous said...

Aw, that kitty picture is cute.

Anonymous said...

The picture of the kittens was precious. Two little reminders of the sweetness of life.

Anonymous said...

Oh, that picture can melt even my black heart. Excellent blog you have here.

Trée said...

Thanks Eric, kind words always appreciated.

Anonymous said...

That pic kittens is great.

JC

Anonymous said...

I meant the pic of the kitten. :)

JC

Anonymous said...

LOL! The pic of the kittens.

Geez ... ;-)

JC

Trée said...

JC, just imagine if the mutterboards or the grid didn't have an edit function--lol. So glad you are able to post here again.

Trée said...

Now you got me doing it. How bout Mutthaboards, although sometimes it seems like the mutterboards--lmao.