Friday, September 02, 2005

Ending the night with Heroes

I've got to end the night on a positive note. The heroic work of the USCG has been nothing less than awe inspiring. Coast Guard pilots were in the air on the trailing edge of Katrina trying to get a damage assessment literally in the moments after the storm passed. The story of these brave pilots have not been told in the press but we have seen the helicopter pilots pluck more than 3000 from roof tops, working in extremely dangerous circumstances, day and night. USCG has been nothing but magnificent.


NEW ORLEANS (Aug. 30, 2005) - Coast Guard Petty Officer 2nd Class Scott D. Rady, 34, of Tampa, Fla., give the signal to hoist a pregnant woman from her apartment here today. In all, the Coast Guard rescued 11 survivors from the apartment building. Rady is a rescue swimmer sent from Clearwater, Fla., to help aid in search and rescue efforts in the wake of Hurricane Katrina. U.S. Coast Guard photograph by Petty Officer 2nd Class NyxoLyno Cangemi

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

they are true heroes

Anonymous said...

Here here!

Trée dear, I know that this hits very close to home for you. Please know that I am quite concerned for your health as well. Remember to take a moment each day and....breathe.

Hugs to you and prayers to all.

Anonymous said...

Agnes is right! Do remember to take care of yourself.
That's me for now...
Autumn xxx


PS If I'm not around in time for Karen's last message before surgery, please give her my love and best wishes.

Trée said...

Agnes and Autumn, thanks for the concern. I'm still trying to digest the last week. The hurricane was one thing, the federal, state and local reactions was another, and the peanut gallery saying some of the most idiotic things from the comfort of their safe, intact, dry homes, with full power and stocked cabinets, where their greatest concern is the price of gas, is a third.

I can handle my own suffering very well. I have not learned to handle watching helplessly the needless suffering of people I know.

Just my path that only I can walk, one step at a time, one day at a time.

As I type this, and most Americans go about enjoying their Labor Day weekend, there are still at this very moment, people still on roof tops six days after the storm waiting rescue.

Things in NOLA are better today than they were yesterday, but many lives are still on the line and many lives will still be lost today, tomorrow and in the days to come. And this is happening just a short distance from me in what was a major historical American city.

New Orleans, New York and San Franciso are, in my opinion, the three unique cities in America. I don't think people fully comprehend that only two of those cities exist today.

Will New Orleans re-exist--I believe so. In what form it's too early to tell.

Thanks again for thinking of me. I will be fine.