Sunday, February 22, 2009

649. Trumpets and Drums

"What are you doing?" asked Em, as Trev moved his hands slowly through the air.

"I'm carving the essence of you, my quotidian quiddity."

"Your what?"

"My raison d'être."

"Speak hynerian."

"I am the moon chanting my sun to rise, reflecting her glory before me."

"You're wanting to frail me."

"Yeah."

"Silly boy, all you have to do is ask."

Steps were taken and hands laced, fluid as dance, natural as the sea breeze, wanting as the dewed flower, anxious as the floating bee. There was lifting and carrying and laying and lying, where fingers and tongues were trumpets and drums and the stars sat in opera.

2 comments:

Ms Storm said...

It always amazes me how much you stuff into these short chapters. :-) Delectable phrases in quotidian quiddity and I especially love the way that he refers to her as his raison d'être, precious, and the fact that it is Trev speaking these words, has that element of surprise still, layers since his fumbling and stumbling with Kyra and Yul, makes one smile, to see how his confidence has developed, how events and his relationship with Em has allowed him to unlock this part of himself, just makes me smile, wide, to see him, hear him, this way, a mixture of pride, funny though that may sound, the kind of pride that comes when watching the young find their way, become who they are to be. And Em, bless her heart, perceptive as ever, turning smile to laugh with her straightforwardness, her cut to the chase. And the final passage is just utterly lovely, expressions dreamy - I don't really like that word, teenybopping, sugar sweet, except that is when it comes to writing like this, writing like this gives that word a credence that I cannot think ever having seen elsewhere, flushes out and fills a span that far exceeds the common use of it. I do so love this story, my most favourite love affair, a love that grows with every chapter.

Trée said...

These chapters are like feathers on a summer breeze, light and airy, whimsical for the sake of being whimsical, flitting and flirting like a young girl's tongue trying to eat cotton candy. :-D