Wednesday, November 11, 2009

observations

Some voices are like light rain, a gentle murmur, soothing; some like hail.

Can it be different? Of course it can; but to know this only on the logical plane is rather worthless.

My brain is turning in on itself, like a black hole such that even sight no longer sees. Or I should say, no longer sees out. Instead there is a looking within and the image is of a dark unknown forest, lost, searching, cold, alone, a place where the sun provides no warmth and the path only leads deeper into the darkness.

To lose the ability to differentiate between right and wrong is terrifying. I now understand the need for prison as never before.

There are days when all I want is this pain beaten from me; mainly by whip upon my bare back; as if this pain inside me could be banished or killed or run from my body; a battle of wills; either it goes or I do; I'd be satisfied with either result.

And on these days, I see myself sitting at the racetrack, alone, everyone has gone home; just sitting in the stands, soaking in the flow of life that goes on, my memory fading as the day. Everything moves on.

The KKB series of poems was written in this spirit. All twenty-one poems focus on the singular motion of a sword falling upon shield. During the writing, each morning I would steep in this sight, the sound, of holding that shield, of the shield splintering, of mud, of knee, the sound of a horse turning, coming again, sword raised.

Find your joy she said. That is when I knew she didn't know the path I was on. Nothing wrong with the advice--I had reached the same conclusion ten years before--even wrote it on a index card like some great discovery. But this path is different. The way out is not through joy. It is not in the putting together but in the breaking apart. I feel it in my rigid back. The need to be broken, to shatter the stress, pick up the pieces, put them in a pot of boiling water, and refill the mold with something new.

This is how it feels. This need to confront the pain, not run from it into joy or happiness as one might play with some friends but not others. Those other friends don't just go away. I feel some vague sin that must be atoned or some debt that must be paid in the coin of suffering. This is not a place where logic is welcome, wanted, or needed.

This morning there is a stillness, the kind you feel under medication, only I'm not under any medication. Bad news comes at me and passes through me as if just words. I know it is not just words, (interrupted)

16 comments:

Trée said...

Comments are not necessary on this post. My appointment on Monday was mostly a bookkeeping exercise in order to get to a second appointment, which I have tomorrow morning. To answer the question I get most often, I am the same today as I was yesterday. Nothing has changed.

Lady of the Lakes said...

You are in my thoughts and prayers. I hope all goes well tomorrow.

:-)

H

Trée said...

Well, that is my hope. I am at the mercy of the public health system, that place you go when you have no insurance and you have no money and you have to answer questions as to whether you live in your car or not. The doctor I am to see is starting work on Thursday. In other words, it will be his first day. The lady who scheduled the appointment knew almost nothing about him, not even what he looked like. Her body language did not convey a sense of confidence in the hand off. Still, when one is overboard, any hand will do.

Lady of the Lakes said...

I know I've conveyed as much, but my hand is always out there. All you have to do is reach out and I will do whatever it takes to pull you back on board.

Elise said...

My darling friend, I wish I could hug you. xx

Autumn Storm said...

Sending love and thoughts, and wishing you all the best for tomorrow.

Trée said...

Limes, LotL, Elise and Autumn:

I thank you all for your thoughts. I am hopeful tomorrow is a step in the right direction. The few moments of normalcy I have, such as right now, I miss so very, very much and contrast so greatly the oppressive darkness that has appeared in my life for no explicable reason. I am not constituted to live in this level of darkness for a lengthly duration--the sensory overload alone is crushing and punishing and humiliating. And so I prostrate myself before science and I will take what I need to take because whatever is afflicting me is beyond anything I know to correct.

Leslie Morgan said...

At first you said "comments not necessary", so I tried to respect that and just sent love. Then some words squeaked in, so I'm squeaking mine in, too. Tree, I've never posted the details, or even hinted at this, but I am a person who HAD everything and then LOST everything. Hear me well. Everything. I am not a strong or brilliant person, or in any way remarkable, but I'm still standing. Call on me in any way you can. I mean that. Truly, if I can withstand such tragedy, and I did, I want to help another who suffers.

Trée said...

Thanks Limes. Much appreciated.

Woman in a Window said...

Tree. I'd like to take your hand and draw you back to the porch where we had coffee and the wind did play. It seems I can't draw you but I can wait. I've big shoulders for cheeks to lay upon. I'm not too bad at hugs, either.
Much love.
xo
erin

Trée said...

Thanks Erin. I'm hopeful tomorrow is going to be a good day.

j said...

Prayers. I promise.

Trée said...

Thanks Jen. And good luck to your Tide.

SaffronSaris said...

Das ist sehr kompliziert.
I hope all goes well with you.

Liane said...

I hope your day today goes well and that it does what you hope for!! so, here i bring some more virtual hugs ;-) (you let me know when you had enough, alright?!) HUG

Trée said...

Saffy, only as complicated as we make it and I tend to entangle myself in needless complication. If I were a cat the ball of yarn would be winning. :-D

Liane, I yet to find my fill of hugs so keep them coming.