Saturday, November 28, 2009

Day: 16

as mentioned before, the creative impulse is lacking--there is no poetical spark--even writing in full sentences is a labor--thought comes like boxcars, each separate--poetic prose, the flow of language seems lost--even reading poetry feels flat, forced--the beauty of language, of my perception and appreciation of language has changed--what remains is the memory of that beauty, of knowing the beauty is there whether I can see it or not--the feeling is like having lost one's tastebuds, eating, knowing the food has flavor but unable to taste--this is how reading poetry is--without taste--simply words--but not just words, my mind feels the construct, the hand behind the words, the artificiality of the form (more so in bad poetry than good)--but all of it seems manipulation--or I should say a lot of it seems contrived--and perhaps this is what separates the good from the bad--I watched an interview with Paul Auster and he made an interesting comment about his own writing, his own intent or goal, which was to be so clear that the words disappeared and the reader experienced the work as something other than language--how to make words do their work without being seen--in bad poetry or prose, the words are front and center--I suppose this is the magic of 'indirect style,' of third person masquerading as first person narrative

emotion still rises or tries to rise--there is still the sense of a bud that does not bloom--yet, the roots of that emotion seem entrenched, lying dormant, waiting for spring perhaps--I can't control what the meds do but I can work on my own thought processes or perhaps work on the awareness that I am something more than just my thoughts, that I can choose which thoughts to invest in and which to let go--to be the gardener of my own mind--learning again how to water and weed--in many ways I feel as a child, relearning lessons I remember learning more than a quarter century ago--in moments of clarity I wonder how and when I got so far off track

I am comforted that libido remains strong and after two weeks I am starting to accept that on Zoloft, I am one of those who is anorgasmic--my new word of the day--I know this is temporary but it is interesting to explore the idea of love, physical love, in this state

started reading Roberto Bolano's 2666--I'd like to quote one passage from last night:

"In the letter she asked his forgiveness for what she called her egotism, an egotism that expressed itself in the contemplation of her own misfortunes, real or imaginary."

Likewise, I too would like to ask for forgiveness

20 comments:

Leslie Morgan said...

My dear friend, I can't think of anything I'd have to forgive you for. I think you may need to ask yourself for forgiveness. <3

Trée said...

Thanks Limes. Hope you are having a wonderful holiday weekend. :-)

Leslie Morgan said...

Tree, through any of this have you been able to spend time on two wheels, and has that also dulled?

Trée said...

Limes, I lost the desire to ride with the darkness. I know exercise is a good thing in fighting depression. Interesting, as if the depression were a living thing, an enemy that dismantles the very thing that could combat against it, in depression one has no desire to workout. I've done some walking, under duress and hated every step of it. I'm hoping this will change under the meds because I know I need to exercise.

Leslie Morgan said...

Well, your head is screwed on properly, knowing you need to move your body. But I hoped the joy of the ride had remained. I'm sorry, Tree.

Trée said...

It will return. Like the arms of a good woman. :-)

Leslie Morgan said...

I'd wrap them around you, Tree, if you weren't half way across the country. Consider yourself hugged.

Word verification: xangbhip - the name of my home planet.

Trée said...

Sigh. Even virtual hugs feel good. Thank you Limes. :-)

snowelf said...

Alright Tree,

Close to my heart always, you are.

I seem to be on a little Yoda kick today. Did that at least bring on a temporary smile? ;) (it's okay if it didn't, I know you know my heart is in the right place.)

hugs,
--snow

Trée said...

Aww Snow, it did, very much. Thank you. :-)

Ms Storm said...

Dear heart, as Limes said so beautifully, there is nothing to forgive. And I will tell you instead of a need that never recedes, only keeps growing, to thank you for all that you are and all that you do. If I had read but one post, spoken to you but once, I would have been eternally thankful for the encounter, for having learned of a heart and soul as endearing as yours, with every word written and spoken since, you have shone brigther. Love to you, x

Woman in a Window said...

Tree, I see you looking at yourself as a snowglobe in the palm. Cup yourself closer, love. Hold yourself even closer. You are a beautiful scene. Be well.
xo
erin

j said...

No need to ask forgiveness. Maybe we should thank you for sharing something so intensely personal. Who knows when we may deal with something similar...

I'm watching your Tigers play the Razorbacks. Of course I thought of you.

Be blessed!

Lady of the Lakes said...

What can I said that hasn't already been said. You have so many wonderful followers. It is my observation that your writing is slowly evolving. It may be difficult, but reading your "diary"...I see ability to describe what you are living incredible. You are still a very gifted man. I am confident that when you are satisfied with your meds, then you will become more satisfied with your writing (which, as I recall, you never truly were before).

I also think you've done no thing to be forgiven for, but if it helps...I forgive you.

As I've said so many times before,

THOUGHTS

PRAYERS

HUGS HUGS HUGS

Love Always

H

Dzeni said...

Tree, as Limes said, there is nothing to forgive! I have been following your journey feeling powerless to comment in any meaningful way. Here's hoping that each day things get better for you. As for the creativity, despite your worries, your words still have the power to move me.

Trée said...

Jenni, to know that you have been following means more to me than you know. As always, your kind words are deeply appreciated. Thank you.

Trée said...

LotL, I am remaining optimistic that I can return to full health and to know life again as I once did in all its glory and joy. And who knows, maybe as my thinking as changed so will my writing, and, as you point out, perhaps for the better. One never knows about these things. Thanks for the hugs. :-)

Trée said...

Jen, thanks for stopping by. I thought for sure my Tigers were going to blow it but for once the other team did. We were lucky to win that game. All the best to your Tide next week. Means a lot to have you here. Thanks again for stopping in.

Trée said...

Erin, your metaphors always bring a smile to my eyes as does your unique pen. Thank you for sticking with me in this difficult time. There is a strength in these comments. I wish I could put into words how much they mean. I wish I could have you all over to my house for some eggnog.

Trée said...

Ms Storm, I suppose when I read that line from Bolano, it struck home just how self-centered I have been in my depression, which, I suppose, is how depression works. One gets lost in oneself and that line was like a slap in the face. Today has been a good day. I'm keeping my fingers crossed that there will be more.