Thursday, November 26, 2009

Day: 13-14

day thirteen:

odd day--emotional response still blunted--everything happening on an intellectual level--found an old journal from the spring of '89--makes me wonder how long I've suffered--darkness visible when I take naps, like breakers pounding the seawall of meds and I wonder if nothing has changed other than this chemical barrier that keeps me from feeling anything


day fourteen:

watched TV last night--several scenes that in the past would have moved me to tears--last night there was no movement at all--listened to 30 second clips of John Mayer's new album, every song, multiple times, trying to justify buying it--although it was clear this is very good work and I enjoyed the artistry, the lack of emotion, not in the music but in me, in my reaction to the music, not just his but all music, kept me from purchasing--I've bought almost no music in the last two weeks, notable because this is not the norm--what disturbs me the most, even more than the sexual side-effects, is the seemingly absence of any creative impulse, an impulse that has been in full bloom for almost four years--this dullness of mind, of emotion also seems to exist in the physical body too--at the risk of TMI, I find that the nerve endings in both my nipples and penis to be numbed, where before my flesh was alive and vibrant in touch, in sensation, now, the feeling is as rubber and sensation seems several steps removed--I feel as an artificial person, my chemically altered self--kinder, gentler, but dumb as stone to sensation, art, creativity, passion, a place where love is just an idea, a concept, a sentimental outcrop from a biological function--and none of this is the person I know myself to be

I would like to wish everyone a Happy Thanksgiving and again to express my gratitude for all the heartfelt comments. They mean more than you know. I am committed to staying the course on Sertraline (Zoloft) until my next doctor's appointment on 3 December. And to the best of my fuddled brain, to continue to document my individual experience on anti-depressant medication.

9 comments:

Leslie Morgan said...

Tree, I had so hoped the sun would be shining on you by now. It can take awhile, but I hoped yours would be a short journey. This day, in my place, is crisp and clear. I'm bundling up to go for a solitary hike. I, too, am not in the headplace and heartplace where I want to be. I need to go chew on some "I don't like this" issues that seem to be heading for "I'm not doing this any more". A warm embrace to you on this holiday that is meant to be about gratitude. I am grateful I found the gift of your artistry. If you were nearer, I'd buy you that new John Mayer and play it for you incessantly until you did, finally, begin to absorb it and reflect it back.

Trée said...

Thanks Limes. Happy Thanksgiving to you! I'll take that warm embrace. :-)

Mona said...

Happy Thanksgiving my friend. I hope and pray that you will be rid of all your suffering soon

(((HUGS)))

snowelf said...

Tree,

I was on zoloft when I was a very sad teenager and it really helped me get through some very dark times. I didn't care for "Who Says" because I don't like the message it sends to my chilis, but I'm hoping the rest of the CD is his normal genre.

Hugs and happy thanksgiving,

--snow

The Old Bag said...

Hey You -- persevere!

This journey will likely take some fits and starts, but you'll get there. It always seems to take time and adjustments...

dammit! :-)

Cheering you from the sidelines...

Ms Storm said...

Happy Thanksgiving, x

Dear, sweet heart.
It will stand you in good stead that you are aware and able to express concisely how these past 14 days have been for you in the quest for the right treatment. Am thinking of you constantly, love you dearly, know not what else to say here, except that, I wish as always I could wrap my arms around you. Sending hugs.

Lady of the Lakes said...

I hope your Thanksgiving day was all you wished for. I am sorry for the side effects that you are experiencing and I agree they are not acceptable as long as there are alternatives. Keep you hopes and spirits up. Again, I hope your Thanksgiving Day went well.

Thoughts and Prayers were with you all day as they are with you at all times.

HUGS, HUGS, and HUGS

H

Athena Marie said...

That's the problem with antidepressants. They don't make you happy, they make you numb. And numbness is not a friend to creativity.
But at the same time... good for you for trying it and sticking with it. If your depression was so great that you had thoughts of suicide... numb is better than death.
I hope you feel better and you find your creativity (and physical sensations!) again soon.

Trée said...

I'd just like to say again how touched I am that so many of you have offered words of encouragement. To not be judged but instead to be accepted means more to me than I know how to say. Please accept my sincere thanks.