Thursday, October 15, 2009

When I Have Fears . . .




When I have Fears that I may Cease to Be

When I have fears that I may cease to be
Before my pen has glean’d my teeming brain,
Before high piled books, in charact’ry,
Hold like rich garners the full-ripen’d grain;
When I behold, upon the night’s starr’d face,
Huge cloudy symbols of a high romance,
And think that I may never live to trace
Their shadows, with the magic hand of chance;
And when I feel, fair creature of an hour!
That I shall never look upon thee more,
Never have relish in the faery power
Of unreflecting love!—then on the shore
Of the wide world I stand alone, and think
Till Love and Fame to nothingness do sink.

________

Bright Star: Official Trailer: Written and directed by Academy Award winner Jane Campion, Bright Star is a riveting drama based on the three-year romance between 19th century poet John Keats and Fanny Brawne, which was cut short by Keats untimely death at age 25. Ben Whishaw (The International, Im Not There) and Abbie Cornish (Stop-Loss, Elizabeth: The Golden Age) star as Keats and Brawne, respectively. The film is co-produced by Campion, Jan Chapman, and Caroline Hewitt.



________

My observations as posted a few days ago, reposted here for housekeeping:

10.10.09

When I walked out of the theatre, I felt other than before. Autumn cool, ground wet but not raining, and overcast, there was a certain lightness of mind, of decluttering, a scrubbing. Each step seemed a thing in and of itself, like the riding of a horse, a palpable sense of separation between the walking and the walker. Also the looking, as if through different eyes; occasioned of an equanimity tinged in fear, of something good, right, justified yet fleeting. Breath, too, the breath of morning in midday, a gentle rising and falling to match the gait.

How does one describe the indescribable. To be changed and to know of the changing, a realignment, a tectonic shifting of soul and mind and even body--a lightness such as the unshouldering of a heavy coat, where everything, every step, lifts again in peaceful joy, neither frown nor smile burdened. And above all, a calm, the kind after a long, hard cry, when resistance gives way, is released into the wind, carried somewhere, away.

I could write of the movie, the score, the acting, the cinematography. But everything I would say would pale the art as words always dilute their object. But I will say this, there are moments, devastating moments, when what is real and what is affected become confused, where one loses the sense of stage and in its place, a witnessing. Of what, I'm not sure. Yet, one knows upon the moment, of something other.

This movie is not like other movies. I can think of no higher praise.

______

Update: 10.14.09

Watched Bright Star again. On the first view, there were two facets flawed I thought: a bit slow at times and a bit blocky. As I sat before the second viewing, I anticipated an exaggeration such that the movie would seem interminably long and blocky and that I risked everything I had experienced on the first view, including the tears still not unfelt.

Two hours later, walking again into a gray afternoon, the feelings of before were as they were, only deeper. Where before there was the slowness, on second viewing, a sense that everything was moving too fast; and where before there was the gap between scenes, on second viewing I discovered a fading, a melting, an emotional thread weaved such to make one flower within a field blend to color the entire landscape whole. And the tears I feared would fall not upon the artifice of actor viewed not quite thrice, I found instead the well contained more water than the eye could bear.

And here is what is insane. I would gladly go again, tonight, to pay and to watch, again.

________

Update: 10.17.09

Viewed the movie a third time. Here are a few observations:

-Paul Schneider is simply superb
-Ben Whishaw's performance must be seen more than once to be appreciated. He does more with less than any actor in recent memory
-with sound and a sparse soundtrack, the movie has a texture, as if of time past and there is with this texture the sense of a different pace, movement, of the different time it was. The movie, as such, will frustrate many modern viewers
-the more you know of the history, and the poetry/letters, the more depth in the viewing; and admiration for Jane's script--this is fine historical filmmaking
-even with a third viewing, there were still tears
-even in the third viewing, the two hours slipped by too quickly
-even still, on pain of divorce, I'd pay to see the movie a fourth time

25 comments:

Liane said...

wow.. this made me sit back and think... thanks for sharing ;-)

Trée said...

You're welcome Liane.

In the movie, Bright Star, Ms Brawne, Fanny's mother, asks John to recite a poem. Sitting round the dinner table, John begins (with this poem), unable to finish, unable before Fanny to deliver those last lines, of perhaps never seeing her again. One of many, many devastating scenes.

Liane said...

I have yet to see the movie.. i want to, and i will eventually.. especially now that you keep peaking my interest ;-)

Trée said...

I've seen it twice and I'd like to see it a third time. At last, the run here is only a week, at one theatre, and today is the last day. When you have the chance, don't delay. The release seems to be rather limited. A brilliant movie that has found no audience.

Liane said...

I just had to check.. and wow.. only one theater plays that movie around here.. but I shall make the effort before it is taking off the big screen ;-)

Jasmine said...

Such a beautiful poem. I sometimes feel we don't hear enough spoken poetry.

Trée said...

Jasmine, I couldn't agree more. My own opinion is that Poetry needs voice to bloom as the seed needs sun and rain. I have yet to see the poem that was better on the page than on the lip. There is something more than just words, in a poem; more than just ideas or thoughts or sentiment--and I think it is in the reading, the listening, the taking of flight in tone, delivery, of meaning only evident when breathed and vibrated and trembled forth. Sometimes the author is the only one that can do this and sometimes not.

There is a poetry to the lips, the tongue, on warm breath and the fragrant blooming eye brimmed in birth, of the unfolding mystery, of alabaster arcs, upward, forever released upward.

Vênus said...

Very nice!

Leslie Morgan said...

It may not be an exaggeration to say I could possibly bleed to death from this.

I thank you for it, though. It is beautifully recited.

Trée said...

Limes, wait till you see the scene in Bright Star where Ben recites all but the last third or so, stopping before 'That I shall never look upon thee more" as his eyes break contact with Fanny and he feigns that his mind has gone blank. And the way she looks at him as he recites, the way she looks at him throughout the movie, the way it seems not acting at all but the living captured, as if Abbie were Fanny, if but for the filming. Devastating is the only word I can think to use to describe the experience, of feeling the voyeur, as this love grows with looks and touches and letters and walks and separations and obstacles and sickness and then, as if we didn't know all along, death.

Leslie Morgan said...

I am quite fragile this week for a number of reasons and the movie has such a limited run I am forced to go immediately . . I know I may just curl up in a ball in my seat and be ejected by security.

Trée said...

Do what you have to but don't miss this movie. I've seen it twice and if it were still playing here, I'd go again today to see it a third time. What I find really interesting is this: where the movie seemed a bit slow on first viewing, it seemed too fast on second viewing; where it seemed a bit blocky on the first, it seemed seamless on the second.

Jan wrote the dialogue. After the first viewing, I went back and read as many of his letters as I could and smiled each time I spied where the dialogue she gave Keats was so often verbatim to his written correspondence.

Still, what is so remarkable about this film is that it is not the dialogue that speaks into the depths of memory, but the silences--in particular, and I missed the depth on the first viewing, is a scene where Mr Brown is watching Ms Brawne from the window as she plays with her siblings in the snow--there is no dialogue and there is no music and knowing the history, which the film stays very true to, knowing where Keats is at this moment and knowing all Brown has come to know and all he will know, well, this scene is simply overwhelming.

The film, for me, has given a three dimensional feel to Keats and his life. As I go back and read the events, the letters, the poems, as I remember scenes from the movie, these characters seem as if real, as if I know them, as if they could be neighbors.

Whatever you do Limes, do not let this movie go without viewing. It will not be the same on DVD. You must see the cinematography on the big screen, you must see the looks and touching larger than life, you must hear the readings on surround sound--take a sick day if you have to, but don't miss this movie.

Leslie Morgan said...

No, I won't miss it. I'm simply squaring my shoulders for what I already know will be an emotional rendering.

Your passion for this film is a beautiful thing. My BFF in San Diego is also going to see it and commented the other day that reading your writing about it was probably as lovely as watching the film itself. I need to go look up her words. She said something about you that I should share. I have never seen her comment here, but she obviously comes to read.

Trée said...

Limes, I would love to see what she said and it is always nice to know that what is written here is read.

I will say this: I cried upon both viewings, equally. As I was sitting in the theatre the second time, waiting for the movie to start, my fear was that it would contain none of the emotional depth from the first viewing and that I would see it as I do my own writing, which is to see the sausage making so to speak and as a result, I would tarnish the memory of a few days prior. I was wrong. Somehow, and I can't explain it, there was a depth upon the second viewing I missed the first go round. And the tears were as hard as before and the feeling afterwards was as cleansing and as I walked to my car that second time, I was utterly amazed of the experience, that it could be as it was, upon the second, as it was the first.

Leslie Morgan said...

Here are Terry's words, cut and pasted from an e-mail a couple of days ago: "I confess that one of the precipitating factors to my desire to see Bright Star was Tree's rhapsodic review."

A comment on the movie trailer: My favorite movie in the world is The Piano, also a Jane Campion piece. Part of what I love about it is that feeling of being inside what's going on. I'm wearing the hoops and terrible bonnet. I'm playing the piano. I'm looking at Bayne's tattooed and not traditionally handsome face. "Inside." The trailer has that feel, as well. I wonder if that is Campion's signature talent ~ to create a work the viewer can enter?

Trée said...

Limes, thanks for posting. I hope you both like it as much as I did. Looking forward to hearing your thoughts.

Wait. What? said...

Now I want to see the film - it sounds wonderful!

Trée said...

Cat, its run appears to be short, so when the opportunity presents itself, don't hesitate. Hope you like it as much as I did/do.

Conartisse said...

Bright Star Trée and Friends, thank you. One Kiss contains the universe, so does One Viewing - yet though they contain It we cannot. Perhaps two. Perhaps more. For the Lover, desire is never quenched, or is for the duration of an out-breath.

The snow scene through the window felt like autobiography, an eternal triangle of woman, witness, and children at play.

Trée said...

Constance, would you believe that Mr. Brown's correspondence (to Joseph Severn in the years after Keats's death) surfaced publicly just in 2003? Just a few years ago. Is that not amazing. The letters were known and used in part but never on a public level. I think that scene, of him looking out the window, does indeed capture so much of the man, but like all of us, we are multitudes.

Here is the url:

http://www.rc.umd.edu/editions/brownsevern/index.html

Conartisse said...

"We are multitudes," indeed.

I visited the site you gave and got an eyeful of my dear Mr Brown,
who enchanted me in Bright Star for his role in the ESSENTIAL oppositeness to Mr Keats. How brilliant of Ms Campion to feature Mr Brown in her movie, for this is elemental nature: the union of opposites, without which the story
would have lacked realism and flavor to say the least. I'm most drawn to the Good, yet always seek Coyote from the corner of my little eye.

This quote from a letter of Mr Brown delighted me: "...Yet those who best know you inform me that you have long ceased to have a character to lose."
Such wicked wit.

roxana said...

you have made me very happy with this post, T. i have waited so long to see this film, still haven't had the chance. but now i know more about what it will happen to me when i finally do.

Conartisse said...

"-the more you know of the history, and the poetry/letters, the more depth in the viewing;"

To know him, is to love him; the more touching with the mind, the more loving with the heart-mind.
While waiting for my Amazon book, I picked up Selected Poems and Letters at local used books. Introduction by editor Douglas Bush opens the openings for this reader. Into the poet I am delving deep, into the flower. Endless thanks to you Trée, who are kin of Keats, soul and pen.

Trée said...

Roxana, based on the photos you take and post to your blog, you are going to love the cinemaphotography. As one critic criticed, the movie was like a coffee-table book. Let me know what you think once you have the chance to see it.

Trée said...

Constance, I'm just now delving into his letters, but I can say, from these letters, there is a depth to the man that amazes for his youth and his rather meager education. To produce the art he did under his circumstances, so quickly, just defies the imagination. His life, as so many true stories, would not seem credible if written as fiction.

What I like that Jane did with Keats's dialogue in the film, is she took a large share of it directly from his letters, so much of what we see him saying, is what he did indeed say.

The only poetic observation I've not been able to trace to a letter yet is the "diving into a lake" metaphor. I would really like to find that he said that as opposed to Jane simply writing it in. I have a book on order with his letters, so perhaps I will find it still.