Tuesday, October 27, 2009

689. toys and things

Ariel gathered her toys. She did not talk; did not hum. In a line she placed them from smallest to largest, and where the skirt of a doll needed straightening, she straighten it. Nothing that was not a toy was present. When finished she stood before the line and with finger outstretched, counted left to right and then right to left, her eyes moving between objects deliberately. Then she took her hands and held them such to bookend the line, such that all was between them, such to hold the view in her hands. When this was done and only when done, done like the last word written, done like the turning of the back, she called for her father; not loudly, not with the comm but as if he were just a few feet away. Her face held no expression. She stood not unlike the dolls that sat; and when John arrived, this is what he saw and for the longest time, standing just inside the door, he watched.

3 comments:

Trée said...

689 was written before 688. Wasn't going to post it for one simple reason: I have no idea what it means. I have no idea why I wrote it. But then I thought, who am I to say what gets posted and not posted. So there it is. Make of it what you will, just don't ask me any questions because I haven't a clue. I'll report back if I do.

Cala Gray said...

Hmmm..I can picture the scene in my head but nothing good comes from it.

Trée said...

Gray, read 688. Might be more to your liking.