Monday, October 26, 2009

monday morning scribbles

I hated my father from that moment forward. And I would guess he never knew. Not then, not ten years later, not even on his death bed. And as I stood watching him die, that unrepentant bastard, I thought of those black fields, of stubble burned to clear the land, to prepare winter soil for spring, of the stubborn pony and the saddle not secured, of the silly red cowboy hat my mother had smilingly placed on my head along with the black cowboy boots and pearly buttoned collared shirt one wouldn't wear outside of a rodeo. The images exist not as movie, but as photograph; and I can hear the click of the shutter as each moment was captured in that part of my brain quarantined for fear, where I was caught between the yell of father and the bray of horse, for in my mind, the pony was a horse. And there I was, unable to please man or beast, caught, as if the two were at war and I was between them, pulled in their struggle, torn, as I would come to see, on those ashen grounds, the taste in my mouth the way grass would be, in later years, on the gridiron.

++++++

I watch people living their lives and I know, like me, like everyone before them, they will die and all they have will be dispersed, all they've done forgotten, their memory as lost as a grain of sand tossed back onto the beach. And so I ask myself, what is this, what is this life?

++++++

There is not a day that goes by that I do not think the unthinkable. There is no effort to do so, the thought simply bubbles up, usually when in bed, both before sleep and before waking. It comes as a faceless voice and I simply have to say this: it is hard as hell to do anything with that voice.

++++++

I long for silence, which is really not accurate. I long for the absence of all things human. Not forever, but just long enough to heal. And I wonder at the very statement, at the view of life as campaign, as battle, as conflict, of myself as beaten and scarred, wounded and less of what I once was when sun was sun and rain was rain and I knew the difference between the two.

++++++

Along with that voice are ghosts. Events of more than thirty years ago, of moments not more than a sentence long, reemerging, roots long since forgotten having grown through the decades, stronger, I fear, than my ability to uproot them. These memories live as if a life of their own or perhaps as if held by another hand and played now, a flanking maneuver, attacking with strength, a quiet fury, as the boot kicked into the ribs or the fist punched into the gut under a scrum of helmeted young bodies.

++++++

I hear voices from afar. Not many. Not often. But I hear them in the way one drifting out to sea hears voices from the beach, in the way that one realizes, then, at that moment, the futility of words carried on the wind of breath not one's own.

++++++

I wake to coffee each day. And each day the same--I drink till my cup grows cold. That last sip, always cold.

++++++

Maria lies beside my desk, asleep in the light of the window. Her head is curled into her ribs, her neck stretched beyond what seems reasonable. I watch her whole body pull life from the air, expanding and contracting. I find her quiet rhythm hypnotizing. Like watching a baby sleep.

++++++

My father did the best he could. I really have no doubt. And this is where the sadness lives, in that thought, in the sodden reality of that idea, of how his blood courses within me and from some slicing of my own life, I walk down a path he must have known, only this time, I walk alone, to the back pasture, where once the two of us walked, mainly in silence. I never knew what he was thinking except for those times the barrel of my rifle pointed into the air rather than the ground. I was too young to know of accidents that could not be undone. I know them now. But he is gone and the conversations between equals exist only in my mind.

10 comments:

Trée said...

with respect to my father, the first entry is mostly metaphorical fiction

Conartisse said...

dearest T,

Your writings are to me sacred and rare. Cannot say more. A crucial, important cycle this. Even cold, the sip is.
Thank you.

with loving respect,
Constance

Trée said...

My dear Constance, your comment comes to me in the silence of pew, of cold stone warmed in light's stain, of wood worn by old hands, the passing of oils from the living to the dead, the rotation of beads, of whispers, of the work of those who believe. Thank you.

Liane said...

every time I come to read your words, i am never sure if they are yours or if they are from a novel, a movie or some other place... nevertheless, almost every time i read your first paragraph I feel a connection... until you make a left or right turn and with that you pull me out of my own past or some other strange place.. i don't know what it is about your written words, but i like coming here, reading them, and for a brief moment, I find myself transferred to another place... interesting.. truly interesting...

Trée said...

Liane, everything you see posted is mine. And I do like to be flattered since my imagination refuses not to believe every single comment offered, like communion upon my tongue, savored. Truth be known, I like you coming here. I like the warmth of smiles around the campfire, of looking at the cacophony of blankets and quilts and sweaters and having the most wicked thoughts of every female within sight, of warm kisses in the forbidden cold of 3am, of jeaned legs that fit tight as pretzels, of misty breath upon the ear, coming and going, back and forth, as waves in the cold.

Liane said...

Then i shall take my seat next to your by the fire... want to share that blanket? ;-)

Trée said...

Yes, I do.

Conartisse said...

She was nameless dread
relative of Death
loss
of ceases-to-exist
waxing and waning
(not unlike the Moon)
ferreting impossible
regions of image
coiling into void
screaming one to rage
or numbing one to stone
stone as good as fire
nameless dread lives
anywhere, eats everything.

Seven years
that's a lot of midnights
and pale dawnings
one day I realized
I was becoming agoraphobic
impossible! no, true
a July, loaded up the subaru:
sleeping bag, art materials,
my beloved Shadow
hit the road
squished nameless dread flat
on the way out.


Somewhere between the ocean
and the river
venus and jupiter
The Encounter!
a love to home, not your usual
love, or home.

age doesn't matter
yet for some, it takes
numbers of seasons on Earth
to see through the emperor's
cloak of fear (I am empress)
("my brain quarantined for fear"
what a cluster of what-it-is!)

many years to discern
visible from invisible
ephemry from eternity
male from female
cooking over fire and being fire
plucking out each strand of
spaghetti only to roll it all back
into the simple sphere of dough
it was.

years to see that nothing stops
as long as I am here
no perfect peace
no unrippled maturity
still the same old me
only more, and less
and more

I'm not a mystic or a yogi
nirvana not the cowgirl way
yet ancient ones from many paths
have left their traces in the clouds
and sands, for us
who would learn the speechless
language
that parallels our words

we who rose from earth
alone and not alone
we who forget
more than we remember
who are re-membering
that which is dismembered
we who are dismembered,
are remembering here
and now.

Conartisse said...

But what I really wanted to say, Trée, is thank you so much for your beautiful, beautiful responseat 2:56 PM. It so filled my heart that it had to do something complicated instead of just thank you!

Trée said...

Constance, you're welcome. :-)