Thursday, October 29, 2009

691. somewhere, an owl

They drank coffee in bed and read poems. Each line was held and weighed, each verb measured twice, each noun fitted for plate, poked for weakness, then set aside in a pile. He read then she read. Then they read again, standing, to see if in standing the poem became something different. And it did. So they took the words and threw them into the air, swirled them as water between fingers, drank of their sweet adjectives and those little cousin adverbs. And they did this all day long until candles took them to supper, to bed, to the readings of night, of poems that breathed as they breathed, wore mood as the sky did clouds, and what was form and what was function and what flew and what walked mattered not, as plot mattered not, as the bird cares not, knows not of flight but for the flying; and her head on his shoulder, and his lips upon the page and the rustle of clean sheets was all and none and yet more than all and less than none as the vessel before and after port. And with the last flickers, sleep came, ink and paper staining cloth and fingers, as dogs too in the bed and on the floor and in this way their days became their nights as warmth beget warmth under the roof, under the sky, to the sound of night and the stream and somewhere, never seen, an owl.

3 comments:

Jim said...

It was the owl that grabbed me, although the rest was as it should be: passionate and intense. The owl, though... there's a place in the Mojave where I camp in the cooler months at the edge of a great gorge. I've been going there for many years, always to the same spot; each time I hear an owl late at night. There are no trees there, only giant Mojave yuccas. The owl is now a greatly anticipated encounter, even if I only hear him (her?), as I've never actually seen it. If it were gone, the silence would be overwhelming and the darkness would flood in the void left behind.

Trée said...

Jim, over the last fifteen years I've listened to owls somewhere nearby, outside my window. In all those years, only once, did I see one, what looked to be a baby, perched on my window sill. I look for them all the time, but know them only by their voice, and for all that, they might as well be ghosts. I must say, the sound of their hoots is as pleasing as wind chimes. So, I had to throw them into the cottage and The Story.

Woman in a Window said...

ummmmm