Wednesday, October 21, 2009

a warmth too, in that

As autumn arrives and the temperatures fall
I think of leaves and sweaters and woodsmoke
and I think of warmth,

of the need and desire to be touched by a sunbeam,
or in the case last night, lying in bed,
by Maria, my four-pound Yorkie.

She often sleeps at the foot of the bed,
her sister commanding the position
between pillows, (between Boardwalk and Park Place.)

But last night, her sister was in the living room,
and having a book in my face and my mind lost in poems,
I didn't notice her coming forward

until I curled toward the outside of the bed,
toward the light, and I felt the soft warmness
of her curling too, as her back nestled

into the curve of my upper thigh.
That is when I noticed her and I noticed
the warmness of flesh on flesh.

Even the poems now became warmer
and my breathing deeper, more relaxed,
more natural. She could have lain anywhere.

But she didn't.
And there was a warmth too,
in that.

10 comments:

Conartisse said...

Ah, the sister. Does she have a name?

How the season shows its power in our nature! as thoughts and things are brought inside to the laid table, the flame of the stove, the couch, the bed, (the TV for winter movies?). The gentle thrill of touch with one not accustomed to be so close - what a wonderful thing to happen. The sister loves you more than you know, and she is wise.

Trée said...

Chloe. A litter of three, two of which we kept (Maria and Chloe). They don't much like each other. :-D

Conartisse said...

I can empathize with Maria and Chloe very well! ;~)

Auckland property manager said...

Fall is a fantastic season,and you can imagine a lot of things when you see the falling of leaves.Besides,your poem is rather beautiful and comfortable,thank you !

Trée said...

Auckland, you are very welcome. Thanks for the visit.

Jasmine said...

Lovely words. Dogs have a sixth sense they pick up on emotional needs and always act on what they understand.

Trée said...

Jasmine, I believe dogs possess some sense of emotional intelligence, if I can call it that, or maybe it is something else, but whatever we call it, I believe strongly, in some way, they are more advanced creatures than we are. So it seems to me.

Jasmine said...

I think you are right, animals have heightened intuition. Humans have intuition blocked at an early age.

Autumn said...

It may state the obvious, given title and content, but the warmth of this poem is palpable. This in itself is extraoridary, but there is a different quality to this poem also, weaved into the fabric so to speak creating a slighty different sensation, a heightened awareness of the moment, it is in the falling temperature and the mention (absense) of Chloe, of the quietness of Maria, unnoticed at first, in the difference between this night and others, the approach creates a greater appreciation, beyond 'simple' warmth, 'simple' love to where the two combine in moments that make the heart ache with the blessedness. In a poem that on the surface seems simple, it is in reality even purer than that. I must say it, though you know it, for it has been too long. I do so love your writing, it never fails to fill me with wonder, with awe, with love, with fascination, with every piece you fan the fires of appreciation for the written word. Beautiful.

Trée said...

Well, as you know, I am a simple man. :-)