Thursday, October 08, 2009

of wallets and firearms

Sit he said. I did as I was told. My father was a man of few words and believe me, you wanted it that way. Eat. You and I. This is what we are going to do. I started to speak, which he stopped with a look. Then, just the sound of our knifes and forks sounding much louder than I knew they were. He ate slowly. Hot sauce on everything. A lifetime of smoking had destroyed his taste-buds. No expression on his face one way or the other. When we finished, he wiped his mouth.
______

Get a book he said. I did. Turn to any page. Read. As I did his eyes looked up. From time to time he would stop me. What does that mean he would say. Why that word. Why there. And I wondered if the author put as much thought into the text as my father's exegesis rung from it.
______

Every morning was the same. I never chose the food. He never the book. And in this way we navigated our days.
______

He is gone now. The chair opposite me is empty. I read all the same. The questions still as clear in my ear as once they were, as once the knife and fork. And I make my own breakfast; with a dog lying on the floor watching every move I make.
______

I can't prove it, but I don't think she is the only one watching.

++++++

My father had one thing I've never had--a wallet. It was black leather, worn smooth and thick as a hamburger. No credit cards in those days. A wallet had cash and a driver's license. And for whatever reason, my father always carried a lot of cash, mostly twenties, which I always found just a little strange because my father never spent any money. Never really went anywhere either.
______

When you wanted something, he would say Go get my wallet. You were never allowed to open it. Instead, you carried it to him and he would open it, his thumb on the bills as if counting them again, making sure they were all there. Then he would pull out what you needed, give you back the wallet and tell you to return it to the same place. An emphasis in his gravelly voice. This was no idle command.
______

Even today I can't explain it. But that ritual meant something to him. He didn't go to church or believe in God, but he believed in the wallet. I used to watch him come home from work. He would always pull out his bulging wallet and lay it on the nightstand. He would do it like a firearm. I know this because we used to hunt. And he always carried a pistol on his hip--leather holster cocked like he knew how to wear it. When we got back to the truck, he would unbuckle the holster and lay the pistol on the dash, so that it would be in sight. And we would drive home this way.
______

The way he placed that holster, that pistol on the dash was the exact same way he placed his wallet on the nightstand.

15 comments:

Trée said...

the first half of this post is mostly fiction. the second half is not.

Cande said...

Your writing is like written photographs. So descriptive we can taste them. I know I've said this before. Here though we go deeper than just smells, flavors, sounds. Here we are led into your past. Either a fictional past or a real past that is full of open questions and hidden answers.

Leslie Morgan said...

I think you are not very much like your father as a human being, Tree. But I think he led you to some of the things that you are.

Jim said...

It goes to show in yet another way how powerful ritual is in one's life.

Trée said...

Cande, thanks for the kind words. I think in images and simply lay down in words what I see in my mind. My father was a man I hated for most of my life. I left home at 19, even though college was in the same town, even though he said he would pay for it. I left, supported myself and paid my own way through university. At one time, after I moved to Tennessee, I stay away for more than five years. And even then, when I returned to visit, it seemed to soon.

Trée said...

Limes, so true. I am the product of my mother and father. A little of both. There are days when I wish I could see my father again, but those days are few and short lived. He was what he was, all the way to the end, which was mostly intolerable. Still, he was my father and I cannot deny that.

Trée said...

Badger, makes me wonder what rituals I have that only others can see. That one day, someone will write about and it will be news to me.

Conartisse said...

"There are days when I wish I could see my father again.."

To speak? to hope to hear? to search the face and look for love?oneself? With your gifts, Trée, all things are possible.

I love the comments.

Trée said...

I know what I think I'd say but I didn't have a history of ever saying what I thought, to him.

Liane said...

Pardon my intrusion.. i came across your blog while blog hopping. I read your current blog and i have to say, you awoke a few memories of my grandma with your writing. My grandma had rituals in which she included me at times without any explanation as to why she did what she did... later in life, I have to wonder if the way I am now is due to her rituals... have a fantastic day.. Liane

Woman in a Window said...

Tree, I know your father, or, I know men like him. I know him. I know that wallet. Perhaps we all do. Is that possible, for each and every one of us to know someone who served at the altar of wallet?

I fricken loved it, fiction or not.

And yes, I would think you would be nothing like him. I would think you'd left at 19. I would think you'd find it difficult to go back, sit in a kitchen and be yourself. Or perhaps it's just me.

xo
erin

Trée said...

Liane, welcome to DT. I like to believe, to think, this won't be your last visit. Thanks for taking the time and making the effort to leave a comment. Always warmly appreciated.

Trée said...

Erin, every time I read a comment of yours, only one thought comes to mind--to kiss you.

Woman in a Window said...

Tree, you are a curious one. If you knew me, the in the flesh me, you might want to pull a pig tail or push me in the puddle, but I don't think you'd want to kiss me. Maybe sledding in the winter. Maybe jumping in lakes from big rocks in the summer. But the kiss, it's a compliment to be sure, but it doesn't go with me. Instead, let's eat burritos and open that beer. When we're drunk (in about two swigs for me) we'll slink down the wall, chins on chests, and tell jokes BADLY, 'cause there'd be no goodly at this point.
xo
erin

Trée said...

Ok, Erin, no more kisses. ;-)