Tuesday, September 29, 2009

1944 (walking)

Walking barefoot upon damp soil turned for seed, Mary spoke: Late at night, in bed, when I close my eyes, I can still smell of him, still feel his weight against me, feel a flush upon my face, a warmth, and it feels as it did, his breath washing over me, the two of us gently rocking. And I think of a porch, of Tennessee, sunrise, him standing behind me. I'm in a rocking chair, eight, maybe nine months pregnant. We don't talk. His hands on the chair. I can smell the wetness of his shower, clean, fresh shaved. Birds chirping and the chair creaking. The three of us. He is making breakfast. Maple bacon, eggs, fresh squeezed orange juice.

We live in the country. A small ranch house with a red tin roof. His parents live just down the road. We watch them walking up the drive, his mother with a basket, his father, a handful of books. They've been married over forty years, each looking much like the other, walking the way one walks when one is walking just to walk, the way one walks in the country, upon dirt and gravel where turkeys roam the woods and deer are not afraid. His mother is bringing lunch, his father, conversation, another book to discuss, to read, to be read aloud, a tradition I've been told, one page at a time, stopping at each sentence, wearing the author's words like jewels, a dignity given as only writers give to the written word.

Of course you know, said Mary, this only exists in my mind.

I know, said Kathrin. I've lived an entire life with Erich.

++++++

We would eat on wood. Natural light flooding the table. Silverware heavy and balanced in the hand upon plates resonating with the sound of artisans and kilns. We would have what we needed and no more. A house where one could breathe, where space was as important as furniture and light would be honored of window and lamp, of candle and torch. There would be pictures of friends and family and a room for guests with a sturdy bed he had made himself with oak and cast iron. And everywhere would be books. And not a day would pass without reading, to me, to my belly, and eventually, to our child. We would live with words as we did with vegetables and fruit, bread and whole milk, of butter soft as Sunday morning. There would be horses too and a barn. And the smell of hay after a rain, of grass grown to mow, of the neighing of life out our window. In the summer we would walk the land barefoot and in winter with the wool of local sheep, warm in the company of community, of friends and neighbors who knew sacrifice and knew the difference between noun and verb, lip and hand. If I'm going to go insane, said Mary, I'm going to this place.

Kathrin stopped and looked at Mary. If you go, take me.

++++++

I wasn't finished.

Sorry.

We would also have music. Teach me he would, of bow and string, of the heart in a note, of wood and flesh conjuring spirit. We would dance, rain or shine and let our hair grow just so we could feel the sweat and lather of honest labor, of the hoe and axe, of the hammer and nail. And the barn would grow and we would raise our own sheep, have a dog too. A family. Laughter in the evenings watching fireflies, serenaded by crickets under a sky so dark it was light, our own private field of diamonds he would say, teaching constellations with stories of boys and wolves and perhaps a bull. He would kneel in the yard, his arm pointed to the heavens like an arrow, a cherub of a child on his knee and within me would warm the womb to bake another and grow, multiply this love, this divine manifestation.

20 comments:

Lady of the Lakes said...

It does my heart good to see that Mary is able to have happy thoughts of Virgil. Even if they are only in her mind. We all have dreams. It is nice to see the vividness of her thoughts. How could anyone not want such a life.

Thank you for this uplifting post. What a great image to start the day off with.

:)

Trée said...

Well, I'm not all doom, gloom and death. ;-)

Leslie Morgan said...

Once again, I'm with LotL.

For me it is the memory of lying in the bed, spooning, my nose and face pressed so close to his back that my own exhalations emanate back against my face, warm and smelling like him.

Tree, you understand women very deeply - you write it the way we feel it. I think that is rare in a male.

Trée said...

Limes, I'm not so sure about that. And I have plenty of evidence to back up my case. :-D

Leslie Morgan said...

Nevertheless, you get my vote of confidence. That's my truth - you do it very well.

Trée said...

Thank you Limes. At the risk of sounding pompous, I simply write from inside and it seems that within me is a feminine sentiment that I could no more deny than the night could deny the dawn. I couldn't be other if I tried and believe me, I've suffered my share for the nature I never asked for and only of recent days have come to accept without resistance or mental gymnastics. If I'm going to die, I want to die with MY boots on, not someone else's. :-D

Leslie Morgan said...

Trying to identify and accept ALL the parts of one's self is a tough journey. Try to celebrate yourself as much as so many of us do.

Trée said...

I find when I go for a walk, if I will leave all the baggage at the door, the walk is more enjoyable. Still, there are times I'm halfway up a hill before I realize I'm carrying two suitcases and a rucksack full of my past. :-D

Leslie Morgan said...

I carry so much baggage, my slacks must all look like jodphurs! "Unburden yourself, Limes!" To myself: "I thought I had done so." We're funny little imperfect creatures. If we keeping working at ourselves, then we are one of the admirable ones.

Conartisse said...

Beautiful, beautiful, beautiful! The sacred secret ordinary extraordinary, savory in every cell. My father keeps dying ...and staying, fiercely alive in a razor-sharp mind that never learned to get out of the hamster cage. Arrgh. I search for a voice, in my letters, that will soothe. And here it is. A million thanks, Trée, for all the good you do.

Trée said...

Lacey, your language is alive! The way you string words together, knit them, perhaps a hint of crochet, I don't know, but there is a weave here, a vibe, a verve, a vivacity that makes me want to lick your mind like the cows out in my grandfather's pasture would lick salt. Because it nourishes me. I knew I had missed you. Now I know why. You simply must comment, often. :-D

Trée said...

Limes, put that baggage on Southwest. Let it fly free. You don't need it, but somewhere, somebody does. :-D

Leslie Morgan said...

Oh, VERY well said ~ there's my afternoon laugh-out-loud! I wonder if the new owner will mind that it's kind of lumpy and used?

Conartisse said...

Don't you see us in our covered wagons, the new pioneers, unpacking the emotion stuffed in between rough sheets as immigrant women did with family treasures forbidden on the long trek because they were too heavy? Each precious thing -- a crystal frame, a silver spoon -- lovingly brought to light, wept over, returned to the secret place. Now we unpack stories, names, forgotten memories and especially feelings that his-story forbade; there was no time, then, and other things were valued more.

Thanks, Trée, that feels so welcoming. This is a lifesblood.
Moooo!

Trée said...

Constance, I've never quite thought of it that way, but I like the metaphor. Got to go work on my fence today, a task that gives me a lot of time to think and I think I'll think about your wagon train and those pioneers and the things they carried, of what was important to them and the courage it must have taken to do what they did. This is when I wish I had a time machine and I could ride beside them and talk and listen and know of souls from another time.

Heading back to the barn for another salt lick. :-)

Trée said...

Limes, I think there are plenty of people that would love to have your baggage. :-)

Woman in a Window said...

Is it wrong of me to want such long hair, to want to pull on the front of my apron and wish it thicker cotton, cotton that mattered, that would have to last, is it wrong that I want wood to smell at elbow and children to be birthed again with new eyes and for him, my other him, to breathe into my oil-of-the-day hair and to love me anyway? I find the pull of this post plucked from the secret corner of me. Is it wrong?
(sorry...i'm in a strange place)
xo
erin

Trée said...

I don't think it's wrong. As a comment, it is quite flattering.

Wait. What? said...

I love - LOVE how you write of such moments - just moments held still as if a picture in her mind...

Trée said...

Thanks Cat. :-)