Tuesday, September 08, 2009

1944 (autumn eyes)

I volunteered. Medical supplies were needed at battalion and the evacuation hospital was near. I saw her first there, in hospital, in profile, standing over a patient. She turned her head, looked in my direction, looking pass me. This first image, in my mind even now like a photograph. That pert diminutive feminine nose, her blossomed lips, firm in youth, slightly parted. And those eyes of fall. Those gibbous autumn eyes, flecked of golden hazel, inlaid in polished marble. That smooth curve of iris rising, holding the intensity of a hundred days within the dime of her eye. Like daybreak. Like sweaters sitting on a bench before the medallions of fall. And a sadness, as if not of this place, not of this ward of silent prayers and mumbles of mother, of lost boys and stoic men, of women with hearts poured empty, of faces blank in survival, of hands rich in the blood of so many, so many faces flowing like the slow shutter blur of a photograph. This is how I remember her, that first time.

___________

ed note: same scene from the third person


He stepped from the jeep into the slurry snow, pulled his collar up, rubbed his hands, and gazed upward to words engraved in french. The evacuation hospital looked more like the schoolhouse it was. Instead of buses, there were ambulances and trucks and not a few jeeps. The deep green painted doors of the old building were as the banks of a narrowing river of men, the flotsam of litters carried faster and faster toward the entrance, men hanging on with the white grip of a raft in rapids.

Supplies were needed. He was doing what had to be done. Still, he was here and not there, not at the front. Everywhere was mud and slush and urgent unshaven faces dirty of soil upturned, as dirty as volunteering to go to the rear. He loitered. A little longer than necessary before the doors, school doors, a place of children as perhaps it was still, as perhaps he was, as perhaps the lingering ache in his gut of a time long ago, of a time longed for, of a place not of this place, where children ran and laughed and death unknown, all of life immortal.

Through the doors a stairway to the right. Black iron rail and the smell of, the hint of, real or imagined he could not determine, of blackboards and chalk, of uniforms new, pressed, and smelling of spring, of mom. He climbed a flight of stairs to the main floor, to what appeared to be a commons, filled with other uniforms; and cots, not desks; and charts, not notebooks. And her.

Corinthian chestnut hair, hazel eyes, muted red lips full of benediction, of blessing, the red of christmas coming, of mistletoe. She was a descant chord rising among the orchestra of tuning bodies, heard by eye, as music seen, as poetry in a sea of prose. And from a distance, in the realm of magic, of the universe expanding, of sunrise and rain and rocking chairs on old porches, of canoes in clear streams and silent paddles dipping, tilling a child between generations, as a grandson and grandfather, wordlessly in heaven of old denim and railroad caps, of tobacco chewed and shoes worn leather cracked and laced tight, he saw her standing there, in profile, of a book he wanted to read, to write, to call his own, to call theirs.

16 comments:

Trée said...

This is Virgil recounting the first time he saw Mary.

Trée said...

I took my car in to have the brakes repaired. Knowing I might have to wait, I took a book and my moleskine notebook, just in case. Sitting in the waiting room, I watched the flow of customers until a young lady with a small child came in. She took a seat a few feet away, her back to me. I noticed the child on her shoulder looking at me and then, as these things happen, the young mother turned to look out the main window and into the parking lot. I saw her profile and I saw the nose and the lips and the eyes, especially the eyes that I have tried to capture here. And I thought the kind of thoughts one doesn't usually think as the sheer beauty of this blonde blue eyed mother showed me a look of an eye, of an iris, of a moment to capture. So I did.

Anonymous said...

I can not do justice to your words written. Here at this place, your place; or even comments left at my place.Know though, that they must touch a core in every reader.
I am liking these 'Autumn eyes', you. But what of the 'Winter' Spring' and Summer' eyes, will they be the same?

Trée said...

SarahA, your comment is like a warm sweater, fresh from the dryer, on a winter day. Thank you, you. :-)

Ms Storm said...

This is so very touching, the heart aches to see such beauty. Reading I long to hug you, as though in the hug, I might be able to convey how lovely this is. For words just cannot do it.

And thank you for the telling us of the source of your inspiration for this particular post, I love to hear about this.

Trée said...

Thanks Ms Storm. I'll keep that hug on deposit. Might need to charge interest. Just saying.

Silver said...

i love the way you describe..one can almost feel like being there.

~Silver

Trée said...

Silver, your kind words are most appreciated. Thank you.

Woman in a Window said...

The eye is what struck me, drew me in. I saw it through your words reading it the first time through. That is where I stayed, at the corner of her eye. But then I've done this, stared and tried to know, tried to understand, tried to see inside and be intimate with the profile of an eye, just recently. Never close enough. Never deep enough.

You tell it beautifully.

Is that Facebook badge an actual picture of you? I am having such a difficult time knowing you. There is the old photo of you with the horny hat, the pensive one, and this. And then there is what you pour into Mary and Virgil, what you have divested of yourself in comments. It is all so complicated, really. How is it that any two people can know one another? And why might I think that I might ever know you? But you are such a mixed bag of nuts, you know.

Trée said...

Erin, the pic on the FB badge is me. A mixed bag of nuts--LMAO--first time I've been called that. I suppose it fits. Anything you want to know, just ask. Be happy to answer.

Wait. What? said...

Sometimes when I visit here, I want to jump into the post's and live there...

Really great writing as always.

Trée said...

Cat, I could receive no finer compliment. Thank you.

Dom said...

Hello Tree,
A short passage simply to greet you but also to find this grace which lives you… They is good to return towards you…. to read you ..... to look …. to listen….

Trée said...

Pierre, so nice to see you visiting again. Hope and trust all is well with you. Peace.

Dom said...

Dear Trée,

I always return near the expensive friends in my heart!!!
My blog encounters big problems and I do not see you in my subscribers… It is not well!!! It will be necessary to return!

How are you?

Trée said...

Pierre, every day is a struggle. Thanks for stopping by. Always nice to see you.