Thursday, September 24, 2009

1944 (pregnant)

ed note: Spring 1945, the field hospital has moved into Germany. Nurses are garrisoned in town, Mary with a young widow, her son missing in action.

The feeling started not as a feeling at all, not as a thought, not even as a suspicion. Just one day everything looked different. Sound sounded different. The flow of movement, consistent motion, appeared as if somehow removed in the way of knowing your hand is in water but not feeling wet. Winter and summer all in one in the blink of an eye, before the finished memo or the falling of a leaf, feet steady as the standing in a canoe did finger feel upon the pen silent on paper. Of sitting in a theatre watching a movie no one else sees. And the looks. As if you have changed. Words, one thing, all dressed up, wrapped and bowed, but the eyes, the darting, the second looks, the whispers of lash and blink. A drifting, that first push away, of foot on wood, a shove, then the rocking, water lapping, each knowing the path has parted and choices made and what was before can never be again and whether there is sadness or anger or disgust or just confusion is for a later time to untangle. This is how I knew, before any test would confirm, I knew and so did she, my german friend, my landlady, the mother of a son missing somewhere out East, somewhere where letters were lost and what was sent was not returned. She knew. And when she put her hand on my belly, for she was not an old woman, and I felt her warm fingers splay across my circumference, as a hand on a globe might, I wanted something I could not define. I wanted her to keep her hand there, her arm as my umbilical cord, fearful of what, I could not say, but fearful of separation, fearful of losing that touch, her touch and all I imagined it to be. I was pregnant. She knew. I felt seduced that she did.

++++++

Did you hear said Kate. I didn't. Hey, her voice rising as dust, did you hear the news. I was staring at the truck behind us, watching those two blank faces in the cab, bouncing like lightning, a few seconds after us. Well, it appears we are going to be stopping for awhile. Garrisoned in town. Good news, huh. Yeah, I said, not hearing a word and not wanting to hear another.

++++++

We arrived in town, more like a village. Not exactly like France, but not as bad as we imagined. Faces were long, like the war. Toll paid. Full price. For a road to nowhere.

++++++

Her name was Kathrin. Early forties. Recently widowed. Her husband, Walter, had been a major in the Luftwaffe (JG 26), only recently killed in the winter offensive, Unternehmen Bodenplatte. Their entire living room seemed a shrine, of photographs, of memorabilia, mostly pre-war, although it had not always been that way. Handsome, hair parted on the side and slicked to the left revealing a strong sloping forehead and aquiline nose, he was, she said, a man in love with his vocation, at peace above the earth in a way he never seemed to be on it.

They had married young. A dashing couple. Blessed of child within the year. Without irony, she told Mary, she felt the mistress, a compromise accepted from the start. Erich, conceived on the honeymoon, was a gift. As if Walter knew she needed more than he could give; or, she mused, perhaps a diversion. He wanted to fly. Everything else was second. I could live with my place within the marriage. How he treated his son was harder to take.

Erich, sent East and missing since early '43, resembled his father. And there the similarities ended. Luftwaffe to Wehrmacht. Air to ground. Fought like cats and dogs, sometimes to blows. Both were strong-willed, stubborn. The old man cried only once. Briefly. The life of his loins delivered by courier. A few words that said nothing. A matter, Kathrin confided, never spoken of between them. On the day, they sat in the kitchen, the document between them, both staring, he drumming his thumbs. After some time, without a word, he got up, packed his portfolio, and with jacket and cap walked out the door, the sound of his heels echoing long after he was gone. From that day, Kathrin said, she never wore shoes inside the house again. And forbid anyone else from doing so.

No one in Erich's unit had escaped the winter of Stalingrad, the Soviet encirclement. Simply no word one way or the other. An army on the map one day, gone the next. Presumed dead she had been told, fought with honor implied. But words couldn't hide the shame. A national disgrace. Paulus's Sixth Army had not just been defeated, but destroyed. An unmitigated, unprecedented disaster. And her son had been a part of this. This tragedy no one would talk about. Even neighbors withdrew their shoulder.

Over wine, Kathrin confessed, there was some tortured hope he was alive, captured, not killed, tempered somewhat in the thought of russian imprisonment, of the brutality of labor camps, of Siberia imagined. At other times, as reports and gossip and rumor spread, death seemed the more humane option. Either way, she lived alone now. Her face prematurely lined, her eyes holding a pain of the sharpest blue, her bearing stoic with only a hint of the beauty seen on the wall, in those faded photographs, of better times, of another life it seemed. She was a woman, Mary said, who never smiled. Nor, for that matter, frowned.

++++++

Casualties were less than before as the snow became a memory and a few flowers began to bloom giving color to an otherwise pastel landscape of beige and slate, of stone and cobble, of coats wool as sheep and noses still crimson from winter. Each morning, Kathrin prepared tea. Each morning they sat and talked and sipped. Mainly of Mary. Sometimes of Erich. Occasionally of Walter. Then one morning, without indication, Kathrin leaned over her cup and declared, as one declares of a birthday forgotten remembered, You are with child. Do not deny it.

++++++

I stood, lifted my shirt. She looked as if watching for movement, still as a pointer before pheasant, nose slightly to the air, noble, proud, intelligent, the elegant line of her cheek bearing a crescent of morning light. Surveying my belly from left to right, sitting up straight, Kathrin spoke as if the two of us were pregnant, as if this was some sort of joint project. May I.

I nodded and her hand rose slowly. I remember the warmth. Her hands were so warm. Then I remembered how she had palmed her cup of tea and I wondered how long she had sat there, waiting. And I wondered what it meant, to her.

21 comments:

Leslie Morgan said...

It's been a little while since I could come home in an evening and enjoy what you'd written and respond. My life is shifting a little . . I sense yours might be, as well. Is there a way we could communicate that is not for god and everybody else to observe?

Trée said...

Limes, couple ways.

Via IM you can find me here:

tgeorge_16 (yahoo)
tgeorgevg2 (AIM)
tgeorge3 (iChat)
& google talk if you have gmail

Via email:

decadenttranquility@gmail.com

If you want to talk on the phone, email me and we can go from there. You are correct, my life is shifting. I live in pain daily, some days worse than others.

Poetic Artist said...

I just found your blog and It is truly wonderful.. Your stories and the words are truly touching.
Katelen

Trée said...

Thanks Katelen. The light is always on. Hope to see you again.

Leslie Morgan said...

I'll be in touch shortly. Be at peace. All will be well. I need a short while . . .

S. said...

During my teens, I read everything I could about this particular segment in time, of this war. I don't ever remember reading anything that so clearly defined its devastation on a singularly human level, with as much raw emotion and guts as you've displayed here in this post and throughout this series.

You are an outstanding writer, Mr. Trée.

Trée said...

S., as a teen and young adult, so did I. WWII, for some unknown reason, held my fascination. In my own personal library I probably have close to three hundred books on the period. Maybe more.

As for this post, as for Kathrin and her story, I have much more to say. I want to explore that spark between her loss (husband and only child) and the pregnancy of Mary. I want to know what happens when Mary tells her she can't go back home with this baby. That her family would never accept what has happened. I want to know what happens post war with these two. I want to know how, perhaps, they heal each other, how life can do that. I want to know, as a student of history, of experience, how events can edify, how they instruct these two women and shape their view, their hopes and dreams and fears. And in my mind, although it may never make it into the story, or maybe it will, I want to see them standing, Kathrin's hand on Mary's belly, in the morning light and I want to see them kiss, of Kathrin kissing Mary. This image, this movie is playing so clearly in my mind, this slow motion closeup of this kiss, those eyes, that hand, it is as if, I've watched it on the big screen. Sigh.

Trée said...

Limes, I'm here like the river. Come to the banks when you're ready. My waters are always flowing and sometimes glittering of sun.

Trée said...

For those who might have read this chapter yesterday, I've revised and rewritten it. Like a steak not quite right, I plopped it back on the grill.

Mona said...

This is one of your best writing ever.

"A drifting, that first push away, of foot on wood, a shove, then the rocking, water lapping, each knowing the path has parted and choices made and what was before can never be again and whether there is sadness or anger or disgust or just confusion is for a later time to untangle."

this made me cry...

Jasmine said...

I read this post yesterday and have been thinking about it. You have captured something so raw and savage in this piece that I never before considered about this of time. We here of the war, the losses, how it should never b forgotten or allowed to happen again. Films and novels depict the valour. Poetry alone portrays the fear, the humanity or lack of, the ugliness of destruction.

Reading this post made me identify with this era on a completely different strata. I recently suffered a stillbirth followed closely by a miscarry... Grief is crippling, devastating. To imagine a world not only in economic depression, national debt, rations, extreme hardship... But also crippled by grief. All of those son, brothers, fathers, nephews, friends, loved people. Lost, MOURNED. Entire families, communities, nations savaged by grief. Isolated in emotional pain unable to communicate with each other or cope, yet having to. How did they cope?

Trée said...

Jasmine, that is a great question. I don't know how they did it. The level of pain and suffering and grief was beyond anything I've ever experienced. My only answer, if I had to put one forward, is the one my uncle gave me a little over a year ago when his mother, my grandmother was dying, but hanging on, for months. Over lunch I posed the question. Why won't she let go. His answer was, Life wants to live. I've thought about that answer ever since, of life only knowing life, as a river only knows to flow. So I imagine, in the midst of everything you so vividly brought to life, those people, like Kathrin, only did what they had to do, live. But I wasn't there and I don't know. Somehow, they moved forward with their broken lives, forever shattered, forever changed. And, I believe, forever remembered.

A few days ago I was touring Carnton Plantation here in Franklin. During and after the Battle of Franklin, the house was turned into a field hospital and many hundreds of soldiers filled the house where arm and leg, if they were lucky, were removed. Bloodstains can still be seen on the wooden floors today. The family had a couple small children who witnessed first hand the death and dying, for there own bedrooms were used as operating rooms. The little girl, who I believe was only seven at the time never spoke of the events until some sixty some odd years later when asked by a reporter. Her answer, to paraphrase, was there was not a single day over the last sixty-five years of her life that she did not think of the horrors of that night and the days to come, of the smell of blood and the sight of limbs stacked as high as the bottom of the window. The memories were sharp, vivid, alive--the memories of a seven year old girl, now in her seventies. I imagine someone like Kathrin has/had similar memories.

Trée said...

Mona, I hope your new job is going better than expected. Always my pleasure to have you stopping by and your comments are always warmly appreciated. I am flattered that something I have written could move you to such a degree. That is a damn fine compliment and I thank you for it.

Jasmine said...

Life does want to live. I forgot to mention that your piece also has hope in it. New life, the next generation, the healing of a babies smile, of children's laughter, innocence. It reminds me indeed of cycles of life and the natural order, flow and ebb...

Trée said...

Jasmine, very well put. I think Kathrin is energized with Mary's pregnancy. She sees this cycle in the belly and knows of it in the way only a mother who has lost her only son can know of it. And there is this need within her to impress this upon Mary.

Woman in a Window said...

Tree, I feel warped somehow. I was so focused on Mary's pregnancy, I was able to put all the other aside. I got skivers reading of your uncle saying, life wants to live. Yes. yes~ and then there is this, the child, the orb, the presence of warmth and life to come. We want to put our hands to that, no matter whose belly it is. The belly becomes universal, the hope, all of ours.

How you wrote of Mary knowing of her pregnancy was overwhelmingly accurate. Tell me you are a midwife, otherwise, you are so keenly aware that it is somewhat spooky.

And too, I see there is so much more to who and what you are and where you are. I wish I was next door. I would break through my utter backwardness and knock. I hope you've love enough around you, Tree. I hope there are hands to catch you.

xo
erin

Trée said...

Erin, I've been reading your comment over and over again. Here's why: When I wrote the opening to this post, of her awareness of the pregnancy, for only the second time in the last five years I felt on extremely thin ice as to what I was writing of (the other time was of rape, again from the female perspective). My first thought was to take it down and write of it from a more distant and safe perspective. I was fearful of insulting the sensibilities of my female readers, which, by the way, all my readers are female. Then I decided to email a couple female friends to see if what I had written was out of line or insulting or just plain wrong and stupid. They both encouraged me to keep it, that if I were throwing darts in the dark, I was not too far off target. So to see your comment, addressing a question I so desperately wanted answered, and to have you answer it without me asking, and to answer as you did, well, I'm going to take your comment to bed with me and hold it to my chest as a pillow and drift into sleep with you. I suppose I could say a lot of things but I'll just say this: Thank You. Very much.

Woman in a Window said...

Just up off the couch and I've come to see how you are. So pleased you had kind words with which to sleep. Hope that pillow was enormous and you were little up against it, child held warm and right.
xo
erin

Trée said...

Like a baby Erin. Thank you sweet woman.

Roxana said...

i have still to read through all the entries, but my first reaction is: wow, he is good, it is powerful, i want more.
are you publishing somewhere? do you intend to?

Trée said...

Roxana, thank you for those very kind words. I am only published here, on this blog. I've never written with the intent to publish beyond this space, of writing for the joy of it, of writing for a few friends. But sometimes, when the night is still and my window open to the dark, I wonder if I could, if I should.