Tuesday, June 30, 2009

of a cottage I've never seen

I think often of a cottage I've never seen.
Made of stone, it overlooks an azure ocean
with paned windows painted in oil white
in time.

I can see the khaki stone wall facing the sea
as clearly as the day is honest
as clearly as if I myself have been there
to this cottage by the sea
this cottage that lives only in my mind.

The image of this cottage is based
purely on my imagination.
No photo reference. No drawing or painting.
A coloring of, perhaps from, desire, although on some days
I think need is the more appropriate word. A calling from
somewhere within, someplace I'd like to know a little better,
someplace that seems to know me.

I need not even close my eyes to hear the gulls,
to smell the sea just beyond the swaying sage oats,
a small path, single file only, weaving from the wooden steps of the deck
to a beach glistening with shells, the ocean's fruit. This sacred
walk I've taken a thousand times in my mind
as surely as beads prayed under glass stained. Each step
known, acknowledge, an embrace of sand and foot to the eye,
a compact between heart and mind to the soul. Where
the wind gently combs the moonlight from my hair
and the stars wink of a time no more
no more than my cottage I suppose
in my mind. Still, I pray the steps
as my grandmother prayed the rosary,
taking no bead for granted in the power
to make a difference, to climb those imaginary
stairs under arch divine.

The sun is warm but not hot, the light golden
never harsh and the air as clean as air on undiscovered
islands. The place breaths me, breaths me back
to start, to neutral, to that place without the toxins
of hand and mind, of account and ledger, of list and do;
a place not unlike the other ocean
with a gentle, motherly rocking
home of dreams
cradle of health.

I sit as an only child before this clear horizon
wordless as one who knows not a word
and try as I might, I find any and all words
just more windows between me and my soul,
my ocean, my dear cottage

that needs me, I think, as much as I need it.

4 comments:

SaffronSaris said...

You've changed your layout. Was a little startled when the page loaded, I refreshed a few times and checked there was nothing wrong with the link from my side.

What a change! But a very clean look indeed.

Trée said...

Saffy, with the change in template, I feel like a death in the family has occurred. I want to change to a very nice third-party template, but I've been unable to get it to work. Hopefully soon.

Autumn Storm said...

I cannot find a beginning, let alone a middle or an end, this piece is so exquisitely lovely, each time I begin to think of other words to write, the immensity of that loveliness grabs at my heart once more and the mind is a slave thereto. swaying sage oats and a single file path weaving, how to describe the weaving that occurs as your words wrap themselves around the imagination, how the beauty and peace that you describe breeds enchantment, adoration. To read is to float, to dream, to desire, to read is be touched by the poetry, of language, of vision. This place may exist only in your mind, the conclusion being you have a beautiful mind.

Trée said...

I think often of this place, as I think Trev well knows. I always envied him in that, that he was there, both with Em and alone, on that deck, perhaps some of my favorite chapters in the whole story, their time together in the village and the cottage. Sigh.