Sunday, June 21, 2009

brittle bones (KKB-20)

the king looked upon
the knight
with olive eyes
lids heavy

when we age
we grow brittle
our patience
like our bones

the slow river
of youth narrows
into roiling rapids
before the waterfall
of mortality

and we want
what we want
and we want it
when we want it

and truth
is just an idea
about as useful
as this empty cup

which is my way
of saying
I appreciate
the lies you offered

and saw them
not as artifice
for you had
nothing to gain

duty done
coin rendered

but instead
as the gift
of a heart
that knows the difference

between what matters
and what doesn't

my lord

quiet!

now, gifts aside
tell me what happened
and spare me the sentiment
lest it crack these brittle bones
and force me
my dear knight
to crack
yours

3 comments:

Trée said...

Twentieth poem in the KKB series.

Mona said...

Just a flying visit Tree! Will come and read them all later...just came to wish you a Happy Father's Day!

Trée said...

Thanks Mona. Got a wonderful card with a heartfelt handwritten message from my son. :-)