Wednesday, November 26, 2008

596. Three Years



My house was not much, but like all homes, it was mine. I did some cleaning, careful not to erase me, not to do what I knew she would know, which was to be other than as I was; so I cleaned up to a point. My hands shook the way hands shake when something matters, when the opportunity is now and not tomorrow or any other tomorrow but now and only now. She was coming and she would sit and observe, we would talk and toast and eat and I would struggle with two dialogues, the one we spoke and the one running in my head. This is how it is when one is too stupid to let go of a dream that never was and probably never would be, for the thought of the dream, as the aroma of the meal, was, perhaps, more than I deserved, but more than I was willing to go without. Thoughts about thoughts. (Note to revisit this topic when my mind is clear and I can devote the time.)

I looked in the mirror, or I should say mirrors, to straighten my hair and check my teeth and pretend I was more handsome than I was; so I turned my head this way and that way, trying to find the one angle to support my case, to convince myself I had a chance to cross the thin ice and make it to the other side. I massaged the achy rubberbandish tension in my cheeks, raising and lowering them in a ghoulish sort of way, horrified at the thought that someone above was watching my nonsense, but then I thought of all the more horrid things I did, which, if anyone were watching, they'd of seen them too. I thought to pray and thought was as far as it got for if there was a Janus or a God or even a Papa looking down, I didn't want to insult them now with my pettiness and self-centeredness. The very thought made me smile. Just be yourself. Why that was so hard was beyond my comprehension, as if one had to try, while fully aware that the trying itself was mockery.

I arranged the glasses and the tea. We would have tea, brewed for four minutes and served without cream or sugar in glasses I had polished more, perhaps, than I'm willing to admit. Hot or cold is the choice I would give her as if there were no other choices and we would toast and drink our crystal clear black tea in crystal clear glassware and I would imagine all the times she drank with the crew and held amber glasses of snoot high; and, as now, I would feel my heart long for a time since past, wishing I had been born of a different age, in a different place, as if the fairy tales in my head bore any resemblance to actual events. And as we drank, I would turn the question over in my mind and her eyes would sparkle knowing that I and only I could ask the only question I really wanted to ask--Could I go with them?

She was on time as she had always been before. I wish I could describe her carriage, her walk, the sound of her heels on my hardwood floor, the lithe tightness of her curves or how the southern light warmed her cheeks, sparkled in her sapphire eyes, eyes clear, slightly glossy, brimming with a compassion wrought from loss and the pain that lingers when there is nowhere (or to no one) else to turn. She moved as if every movement mattered in the effortless way of those that are what they are as the bark is to tree or the feather to bird. When she spoke, there were her words, the ticking of a (pendulum) clock and the beating of my heart; and nothing else. Her words came neither fast nor slow, thoughts measured against a life lived in triumph and failure, of hands that had touched the divine and the labored, of eyes that had seen birth and death with the appreciation of blood giveth and blood taketh.

She asked about this and about that and I felt my chest swell, pushing forth a sigh and I was reminded of the absence of sincerity and genuineness in my own relationships and, I suppose, in my own life. She was the sun that showed me my shadows and I wondered with sadness if, as the sun, she would always be as close and as untouchable and I would forever be a shadow in her presence. Still, there was this moment, when the chocolate is on the tongue, and thoughts go neither forward nor back, but just on the melting, the deliciousness of a moment soon to pass. I watched as she asked about the sorts of things no one else asked about and I watched for even the slightest sign of distance, for a sign she was just being nice. If there were such a sign, I missed it. What I didn't miss was the dreamy sensation of relationship with one that can so effortlessly be interested and I felt as if the two of us were in a bubble, a bubble of time, a bubble I knew, like all bubbles, would eventually pop.

She talked and I found myself listening to two conversations. My own mind begun to spin, both past and future. In that moment, I saw all the stories of Bravo, all the interactions, the relationships, differently. In a way, I suppose, it was like the difference between reading a book about events you knew nothing about and reading that same book after you had had first hand experience of the place and people, of the moods and texture, the hues and sounds. The rest of the crew became different in my mind, neither better nor worse, just deeper as layers of relationship I didn't know existed were revealed in my own experience of Kyra. She looked human but that was about as close to human as she was going to get. She was something other and that otherness was nothing less than seductive and I felt myself falling and I wondered if she knew, and if she did, would her heart catch what her arms might miss.

Are you okay she asked, her hand on my shoulder as my mind raced to calculate just how much time had passed lost in thought, just how silly I must have looked to her, how alien in not being present and I wondered if she had the capacity to understand and the compassion to forgive my rudeness. Nothing, I responded. Just thinking of the time, how quickly it passes. She smiled. I told her I was thinking of the night exactly three years ago, the night I discovered the crew, for three years ago to this day, my life changed. To that, we lifted our pristine glasses and toasted with our pristine tea to a moment that seemed like yesterday and yet seemed as if another lifetime.

14 comments:

Autumn Storm said...

Your intuitiveness is very finely tuned, the creation of character with such subtlety it becomes something wondrous to behold. Throughout your story, with first one character and then another, there is this showing, from the side, from angles and corners, above, between and within, a smile, something said, movement, thoughts, deeds, as we would know someone in life, which is why must be that you bring them so close, lend such a sense of intimacy, of knowing, to the reader, for we do not see them in words, but in images, reading hearts in heart, if that makes sense. To pull examples out of this chapter would be to akin to making stew, it is watching the entirety at work that highlights just how skilfully you piece together your characters. As occurs so often when one is a reader of yours, it is with astonishment and great admiration that one perceives the layout and wonders how, understands anew just what a special breed true writers such as yourself are, the way in which you know just how to tell what you want to tell. It is with a chapter like this that begins with a house that one begins to think in terms of the divine, of gifts given, of innate knowledge, understanding and talent for how else would you know, it is not something one can learn - as someone said on the post before, I apologize for not remembering whom, it is a wonder indeed that with all that has been written, all that has been envisioned, there is this and what came before and what will come after, there is three years of wholly original, wholly wonderful, inspired and inspiring writing. Your ability to focus upon, to reach for not the obscure but the obvious, the elements and ideas that are so cemented they become somewhat invisible and in the case of emotion more difficult for their commonness. The idea in itself, cleaning, preparation, the 'this-old-thing' facet, one might say is the single colour, but the brilliance is in the spectrum of shades. My hands shook the way hands shake when something matters, when the opportunity is now and not tomorrow or any other tomorrow.. There are so many gems within, the two dialogues and the entire paragraph that deals with the aroma of a dream so to speak leading up to the part that reads was, perhaps, more than I deserved, but more than I was willing to go without. seems touched. The hand of genius. Never quite got around to the point of what I was saying above, but the scene in front of the mirror and the thought that someone above could be watching is perhaps something that has been at some point or another in life a common behaviour of each of us, the familiar trodden as though for the first time, you have a particular aptitude for showing a thing with newness or with particular sensitivity, particular beauty and sometimes 'just' with enhanced focus, there are a limitless amount of waves that come in from the ocean and yet we can observe a set or see a snapshot of one, a painting and be mesmerized by the beauty, soft and rolling, crashing and powerful. There is a genius within that passage that it is beyond my ability to do more than marvel at, the turning of face, the trying to find an angle to support the theory. Read and marvel. A thousand times and more, there have been decisions, accentuation and appreciation of detail, one of the most special elements of your writing, and one of the most lovable elements of your character, where so many things pass most/many of us by, you are emerged, eyes, mind, heart, missing nothing, the spaces between, the writing between the words so to speak, life between the living. Tea.
Another favourite part within: ...brimming with a compassion wrought from loss and the pain that lingers when there is nowhere (or to no one) else to turn. She moved as if every movement mattered in the effortless way of those that are what they are as the bark is to tree or the feather to bird., the sun and the shadows and the asking of questions without 'kindness' and with marvel, with wonder and awed applause I read and re-read the last paragraph, part by part, and through the sheer loveliness of the whole am able to refrain from attempting to analyse precisely how one sentence followed by another followed by another achieves that burst of feeling that accompanies the reading of the last part.
Perfect for the title, a very special piece of writing for a very special day.
A toast to you and to the next three.

Trée said...

Sunshine, I read your comment and I sigh. The Story is three years old. I'm not sure it would be three weeks old without your undying encouragement and support. You have been with me every single step of the way with comments that I have often referred to as jewels, but they are more than that, jewels of the heart one might say.

You have taught me a lesson I knew before but now know in a way that T, in this chapter, now knows the story. Love, Support, Encouragement. I never knew exactly how powerful these forces were until you showed me, for I know I would have stopped writing a long time ago if you hadn't convinced me there was something here, something that for the longest time I doubted and still, to this day, have my doubts. You have given me what no one else has, not family, not friends. I wish I knew how to tell you. I will say this. I too will have a house and in that house will be your comments, framed, lining my walls. :-)

Dzeni said...

Lovely image - I love the way those two "stars" appear in the center. Well done. Congratulations on three great years of the story. Somehow it seems as if the story has always been here, yet its hard to believe its already 3 years old.

Trée said...

Jenni, thanks for kind words. It really doesn't seem like three years and almost 600 postings. Sometimes I'm ashamed to admit how much of the story I've forgotten. :-D

Cha Cha said...

Exquisite.

Absolutely exquisite.

And this...

Still, there was this moment, when the chocolate is on the tongue, and thoughts go neither forward nor back, but just on the melting, the deliciousness of a moment soon to pass.

Perfect.

What a way cool anniversary.

I hope you two had fun.

^_~

Trée said...

Strumper, to see you reading and getting caught up is the bestest gift I could receive today. Thank you for the gift of your time. I'll do my best not to waste it. As always, thank you for your very kind words. Very much appreciated. :-)

Cha Cha said...

Ahhh....coming here is NEVER a waste of my time.

It ALWAYS makes me feel better to come here.

Sometimes I rather enjoy letting a few posts gather and coming to read and catch up when I have time, like I would enjoy a few chapters together in a favourite book while I'm reading it.

Of course, your blog is like the bestest book of all.

Cos when you are reading a good book and you get to the end...it REALLY frailing sucks, cos you don't want it to end. You don't WANT to not have it there when you need to get lost in its world.

With your blog....

...that doesn't happen.

And it's SO frailing wonderful to me.

I, Mr. Tree, thank YOU.

Mona said...

Tree darling, :D this seems like a tribute to one of your most faithful readers that we all know! :)

Trée said...

Strumper, I am always amazed, no matter how many times it is said, but just amazed that others find joy in The Story. I know this may sound silly, but The Story seems so inadequate to my eyes for I see what it is not rather than what it is. Comments like yours keep me going and although I might not see it, give me some indication The Story is worth continuing. Thank you Strumper. :-)

Trée said...

Mona, the text is in the eye of the beholder. ;-)

j said...

I was completely caught up in this Chapter and failed to read the title (bad habit).

3 years is truly a lifetime with the Story since it reaches forward and back through time. Congratulations on your success.

And this chapter was wonderful. It made me feel.

Trée said...

Jen, it hardly seems like three years, yet, when I start to go back and read some of the older chapters, it seems longer than that. :-D

I'm very glad to have you along for the ride. I've truly enjoyed your engaged comments. Thank you. :-)

Autumn Storm said...

I only just saw your reply. If I thought you could, I would send you a ticket to fly on over here just so that I could give you the beariest of hugs that I have been longing to give you since I first saw your heart.
One day soon, I will return to the last 5-6 weeks, one chapter at a time. This one first. H

Trée said...

It pays to read. ;-)