Monday, November 24, 2008

595. Snow



Ariel watched the snow fall in Kyra's quiet eyes, snow globes lost in thought. The snow fell in large flakes, an army of parachutes from the endless grey, falling by ones, landing, reuniting, as one. From the heavens as if postcards from Zoe and Von, snow fell across the land, a pristine blanket, silent warmth in a thousand messages, each flake, falling, falling, softly falling.

Bravo appeared in the distance as a metallic mountain in winter, sitting as a home sits with warm lights glowing, spilling forth memories and comfort, a place to die if one were inclined. Word had gone forth and Goldie and Pinkie were waiting on the dock, buzzing like bees in the soft flurries. Their metallic skins glistened with surrendered flakes, their mechanical eyes fluttering in familiar clicks and clacks as if crying, a sound missed all the more now in the hearing.

The snow fell on Bravo and on Goldie and when Kyra emerged from the transport, it fell on her too. Her black hair, speckled with snow, each flake alighting on head and shoulder like birds, perching as if they belonged, as if they were home too. The snow fell in waves, heavy, as it seemed now, from outside, standing in the cold. Ariel stuck her tongue out, catching flakes, her left hand tightly holding Kyra's while her right held Em's, a foal bursting in energy, delighted to be alive. As Ariel tugged, Kyra looked at Em, "We're home."

"Home," said Em. "Home." Her voice faded. (scene fades to Trev)

14 comments:

Autumn Storm said...

All the more poignant is this homecoming for the calender approach. :-) And a positively glorious image to accompany the prose, intricate and perfect and individual as the real thing.

Blissful, story sigh, that kind of sign is in a league of its own and only ever comes into being when the story moves this way, through the valleys of exceptional writing. I could stay, once again, with your very first sentence and be complete. Like the autumnal picture, the tree, the lake, pristine, complete, but then one would have missed silent warmth in a thousand messages and the sight and sounds of Goldie and Pinky, and Bravo. Armies of parachutes and the reuniting. Postcards and perching birds. Expressions within are simply lovely, a sound missed all the more now in the hearing, buzzing like bees in the soft flurries, this chapter is vintage poppet, mesmerizing beauty, soft as a lullaby, arresting and thrilling as that scene before the window. :-) More on this later, more on this ideal story chapter.

Trée said...

Feels good to be coming back to Bravo. I think I've missed the ship more than the crew. :-)

Sweetest, your comments are the honey on my toast. How did I ever live without them. :-)

j said...

Em's eyes reflecting the snow and looking like two snow globes - I was captivated by that one sentence. Very beautiful imagery.

I read something like that and I wonder how in the world with all of the thinkers and writers and folks in general like me, there can be any new thoughts? Any sentences that make THAT much sense and sound so nice, that haven't been written before? Words and thoughts are amazing, aren't they?

If I don't see you again before Thursday Tree, I hope that you and yours have a Happy Thanksgiving.

Be blessed!

Trée said...

Jen, thank you for those very kind words. I don't know where the images come from other than to say I try and visualize the scene I am writing and from those images in my mind I try to describe what I see. When I thought of Ariel looking up and seeing Kyra staring at the snowfall, I thought of her big black eyes, glassy, reflecting the falling snow and that Ariel sees the snowfall in the eyes of Kyra and that to a child, those eyes of Kyra's might look quite large and from there, the image of falling snow in a snow globe popped into my head and so I wrote it. See, that's how it works. :-D

A Very Happy Thanksgiving to you and your family too. :-)

Mona said...

Ah! homecoming is warmth incarnate, even in cold winter!

No place like home...

Trée said...

Mona, no doubt. Home is always a special place. :-)

Stargazer said...

The fractal is absolutely gorgeous! One of your best. I really like the snowflake in the center.

Autumn Storm said...

Happy Anniversary, darling. :-D

Trée said...

Deb, glad you liked it. Happy Thanksgiving to you and Mark.

Trée said...

Sunshine, who would have thought. 3 Years. Wow. :-)

And thanks for remembering. :-)

j said...

Stopping for just ooooooone minute, before we climb in the car and head to the banquet, to wish you and yours many blessings and a Happy Thanksgiving.

Oh, and to the "See, that's how it works" return comment?

I WISH! It doesn't work that way for every person who thinks and imagines.

I am imagining snow. It's, um, cold.

See? :D

Trée said...

Jen, you always make me smile. :-)

Happy Thanksgiving. See, now I have images of . . . :-D

Cha Cha said...

When it starts pouring freezing snow here in Chicago, I am going to try and remember this chapter so that I try and enjoy the beauty of it.

Cos sometimes I forget how beautiful it really is.

Also, I'm lovin' the Newman up at the top of the blog as Papa. Too great.

And, OH MY GOODNESS!!!!!

HAPPY FRAILING ANNIVERSARY!!!!

Three years of The Story....that freaking rocks, Tree.

Congratulations.

You kick arse.
xoxo

Hope you are having quite a fantastically yummy Thanksgiving with walnuts, frozen peas, and lots and lots of buttery goodness.

Trée said...

Strumper, thank you for the kind wishes. My belly is full like a pumpkin. Want to come rub it for me? :-D

If you go to Trebuchet (link on my sidebar toward the bottom) you'll see a couple Papa sketches I'm working on today. Still early drafts but it'll give you some indication of the direction I'm heading. :-)