Saturday, November 15, 2008

593. Muted Memories

The chapter I didn't write. Goes something like this:

After the initial explosion, Arn, Rog and Yul are covered in white dust and plaster like shrubs after a snowfall. We see the scene through the eyes of Yul, two grayish crystals (her eyes) taking in the sight as if they were diamonds on a bed of cotton. She is semi-conscious and sights are somewhat faded and sounds are muted and the action seems to be moving in slow motion and as multi-hued las fire is exchanged all she can see is the beautiful colors. Any sense of danger is completely absent, such as small child, too young to know otherwise, might not see the danger as a parent scuttles about in a disaster.

Instead, she feels a warm sleepiness, similar to the feeling of just waking up. She watches Rog, taking note of this body, his arms, dirty and sweaty and how muscular they are in action. She notices his movements, strong, athletic and he seems like a roughhewn statue come to life, angular, chiseled, in a masculine way, in a way she has felt with her own hands and in a way she wants to feel again; a way that says without saying, this is mine. His voice is deep but distant, fading in and out, sometimes louder, sometimes less so and although she cannot make out what is said, just a word here and there, the tone, though urgent, is comforting, a sense of familiarity that seems more important than the events of the moment. When the fighting is over, she closes her eyes, in part because she is tired and in part because she knows Rog is going to take care of her and in part to capture the memory of what she has just witnessed before moving on to new memories. She remembers him picking her up. Remembers being placed over his shoulder. Remembers just how good that felt.

14 comments:

Constance said...

Good Saturday to you Tree.

Even this chapter you didn't write is incredibly observant :)

Trée said...

Annie, I kinda like 'not writing' writing. We may see more. Not writing is easier than writing--no doubt about that. :-D

Good Saturday to you too. Hope your back is better. :-)

Kimmie said...

It seems to me that Yul is fading fast and in her fogginess feeling the present and what is going on about her, but at the same time reflecting on special memories of the past. It is my guess, emotionally she might be in a place somewhere inbetween the two.

Trée said...

Kimmie, I'd say you've about got it. Enjoy the summation. :-)

Mona said...

Although you call this muted memories. I feel this chapter is sensitivity incarnate.

But then, sometimes, memories evoke feelings too...

Trée said...

Yul is processing the world on a plane of consciousness I find very precious, a place broad rather than narrow. I envy those moments. :-)

Dzeni said...

A really great chapter. I'm pleased you wrote it even though the title suggests otherwise. The perspective on this one is creative and oddly comforting. Thanks :)

Trée said...

Thanks Jenni. :-)

j said...

The chapter you didn't write - I understand what you are saying but it made me grin just the same.

Trée said...

Jen, :-)

Cha Cha said...

Hi, Tree!

I'm here catching up a bit.

I love this chapter.

I love hearing Yul thinking about her love for Rog.

It made me feel all warm inside.

I love the descriptiveness of it all. Her just enjoying him being a man as she floats in and out of consciousness.

It was great.

I'm still smiling.

I've really missed Yul.

Can't wait 'til she feels better.

:-D

Trée said...

Strumper, just having you visit makes me all warm inside. :-D

My stick butter is no longer in stick form. See what you do. :-D

Autumn Storm said...

A new style once again and one worthy of repeating should you have the inclination at a later date and as you have a knack of knowing, somehow it is or at least becomes perfect and in turn it is hard to fathom the possibility that it could have been as good were it written any other way. Rog, ever consistent in the embedding of himself in affection and regard, captured the heart and the imagination a long while ago, from the very first chapter that had him in conversation with Kyra, but this here, the absolute trust that Yul has in him, the absolute trust that he will take care of her. Wonderful imagery as always, the dust like snow, diamonds of a bed of cotton, the colours of las fire - las fire always makes me grin - , the parent scuttling and the warm sleepiness. Watching Rog, through Yul's eyes ain't half bad either. (drooling isn't attractive I know but sometimes it just cannot be helped and roughhewn statue did it for me lol) A sentence such as this one: His voice is deep but distant, fading in and out, sometimes louder, sometimes less so and although she cannot make out what is said, just a word here and there, the tone, though urgent, is comforting, a sense of familiarity that seems more important than the events of the moment. is another aspect of your writing that I simply love, no wavering, straight and steady. And the three times remembers at the end with their surroundings are so very, very lovely. :-) And one more to emphasize. :-) Thoroughly delightful chapter.

Trée said...

Sunshine, this was one of those chapters I saw and heard (soundtrack) so clearly in my mind, I had a terribly time even thinking of trying to write it. So, what you got here was the chapter I didn't write. :-D

Who knows, we may see something like this again. It sure is easier than writing. ;-)