Wednesday, May 14, 2008

504. You Are . . .

Trev blew on the crimson wet parchment. When he was sure the ink was dry, he took Em’s sleeping hand and gently placed the folded note between her fingers, careful not to wake her. He kissed her cheek, lingering in the beauty of pre-dawn simplicity, in the quiet warmth of sheets shared and a gift given. Standing erect, naked, he looked down upon her peaceful face. Just felt natural, comfortable, right and part of him wanted to wake her, to see her see him, to feel the tingle of her gaze, the discovery of the note, but it wasn’t about him, so he stole another kiss before tip-toeing away.

The Note:

You are . . .

Kids stopping to play with a pile of rocks as if nothing else was more important

The stranger who smiled at me through a sea of apathy

The first warm rays of morning slipping under my door

A hand reaching to hold my hand without being asked

The playfulness of a puppy

The sound of snizzle in a still quiet house

Sand discovered in an old pair of shoes

A wisp of hair as a note on the page of your face

Rainbow eyes

The child that walked with me when no one else would

The look that told me everything was more than okay

The leaf that danced for my pleasure laughing in the face of gravity

Pregnant lips

Rain on a spring day

Flowers smiling in droplets of multicolored reflection

The music that lingers in my mind after the last note has slipped away

Fingers combing my hair

The first star in a mauve sky

A coat unbuttoned

The shoes beside my bed

A letter written

A package unexpected with a handwritten address

Hot soup on a cold day

Fresh sheets

The thought not left unsaid

Forgiveness from a bottomless heart

The ear with nowhere else to be and nothing else to do

The scent that reminds me of home

The rocking chair on my porch

A falling star in a midnight sky

The cool breeze from a babbling stream

Judgeless

Diamond sparkles in the dew

The smell of hay in the barn

Arms holding without words

Showing up

The head on my chest

The kiss that greets my day

The hand that reminds me I’m yours

The choice to stay a little longer

Interest sincere as labored sweat

The vision I don’t have

The hope I’ve left behind

The light I once knew

Candles winking on the edge of my bath

A book shared

A story embraced

Sweaters

Bookshelves

Late night rendezvouses

Heated whispers and eyes dark with dreams

Plans

A short time later:

Em put the note down, pulled the sheets up around her knees, and with a steady deep breath smiled with dawning cheeks. Her closed eyes played a movie written in dreams shared and composed in the beat of hearts singing in the universal language of lovers.

“Morning,” he called, a tray in hand, two cups smoking their secret forth like chimneys whispering.

“Morning.”

“You got the note?”

“Yeah, I got the note.”

“You just gonna smile?”

“Yeah, I think I am.”

24 comments:

Cha Cha said...

Awwwwww.

What a NOTE!

What a list of things to be.

Em's a lucky girl.

And Trev's a lucky guy.

Trée said...

I think he is going to be lucky. :-D

j said...

Everyone wants to inspire words like these. We may not know just what those words are to start with, but when we read them we saw, "Aww, I wish that was me!"

It may be why the Proverbs 31 woman can make me feel so UN inspiring, like there is no way I can do and be all of those things and will my children ever stand and call me blessed?

Your list of random good things makes me feel that I could do THAT. I could be like Em.

You know, I wrote a lot more and just deleted it. Too many words for the A.M. I guess.

Hope that my presence as your friend feels like Children playing with rocks or a smile from a stranger across a crowd. Or even just 'Showing Up'.

Tree Gump, this post was beautiful.

Trée said...

Jen, I wrote a post a few years ago about riding my bike. I was in my neighborhood, around three o'clock and I was stopped at a stop sign as a school bus was releasing some grade school kids. I remember vividly this one young girl who got off the bus, walked by me, stopped, and with the biggest eyes of joy just blurted out, "It's a great day to ride a bike." And she just smiled at me as if it were the most natural thing to say and do. Usually when you are on a bike, people are not smiling at you but cussing you and trying to run you off the road. I was so totally not expecting that reaction to her (guys in multi-colored Lycra tend to elicit scorn and ridicule) that the memory of her sincere and joyful expression remains with me to this day. And I thought, what would a world look like if we were all that pure in heart and intent and not afraid to express it, to express it seeking or wanting nothing in return. I'd like to live in that world. I'd like to be more like that little girl.

Jen, you remind me of that little girl. And I feel forever blessed that you got off the bus and saw my blog and decided to say a few words. Thank you Jen-nay! :-)

Autumn Storm said...

Ohmygosh! Just fell for you all over again :-) ...back in a little while.

Trée said...

Sunshine, with all this falling you do, I hope you have a good insurance policy. :-D

Enjoy dinner and hurry back. :-)

Trée said...

Jen, here is the link to the post in question:

Bike Ride

Conartisse said...

The filigree soul written out loud... what must it be to be seen like this ... to find one's most exquisite selves reflected from a bike, shoes by the bed, liquid fingers softly at the temples, the sacred dome of an intimate, universal universe.
To s l o w down.

(Now I am reeeally leaving, and bless and thank you for burning with awakened love, dear Pure-Hearted One.)

Trée said...

Dear C,

Safe travels soul sister. To slow down. I needed to hear that. Did you know that is what I needed to hear? Somehow I think you did. Somehow I think you are smiling right now. Somehow I wish you were here to hug me and let me hug you back.

If you don't have internet access I am going to miss you terribly. Thank you Constance for the very, very kind words. From my gemini soul to yours, hugs and kisses. :-)

Autumn Storm said...

Been that way ever since I met you, but I land on marshmellows (spelling mistake always intended). :-)

Firstly I just wanted to comment on how the character of Trev has developed. I think of Flash Boy and the stammering before Kyra and it seems like such a very long time ago. Happy times and times of pain and how they shift us and form us and thus with all that Trev has been through and the very special relationship he is building with Em, it has been wonderful to watch Trev incorporate past events and begin becoming who he is. The scenes between them have already occasioned many dreamy sighs of pleasure and wishes and here in these last two chapters, featuring them, there's a cementing with words though actions have been plentiful, that though it may have started in a heartbeat, it is strong and steady. This chapter, pure warmth and sparkling joy, shoots high on the list of which are most loved. You've been mentioning my endless repetitions, reiterations I would say, coming from a place called pure awe, and try as I might the words bubbling to the surface as I think about the words written are of the potency of poetry. So, so lovely.
PS Loved your comment, Jennifer, about feeling one(and all) could be capable of inspiring this.

j said...

*laughing laughing laughing*

Yes, you knew I would check back. It's nice to be familiar.

I am checking the link now! :^)

Trée said...

I had my suspicions Jen-nay. :-D

Grab your bike. We'll ride, legs pumping, sun on our faces, breathing hard and smiling all the way. :-)

Trée said...

Sunshine, it does seem like a long time ago when Trev was Flashboy, stuttering and playing with thorn flowers. :-D

I think I like him a bit more now. :-D

Autumn Storm said...

Likewise. Past events, though some are regrettable to say the very least, have done him no harm in the personality stakes. :-) Sweet dreams, my lovely.

Sherri Sanders said...

It's been a while since I stopped by! I'm glad to see you're still writing!

Trée said...

Sherri, I still have that backstage pass waiting for you. Bring your toothbrush. :-D

Autumn Storm said...

Love this more and more for each time that I read it. Each sentence is so very evocative, conjuring complete stories to accompany them. It could stand here at the top of the page for days and weeks and still have more to offer each time it were read.

j said...

Tree Gump!

I am doing a Blog hop marathon of sorts, visiting my favorite sites and saying hello.


Hello!

I am blog hopping to get caught up with sites that I haven't visited lately. But you know, and I know, that I visit Decadent Tranquility almost Daily. That's because you are an awesome writer and your site is one of my favs! Hope that your day is quite nice!

Take Care.

Jen

Anonymous said...

very looooooooooooooooooooong! it feels like a poem while im reading it.

Trée said...

Cyba, :-)

Trée said...

Jen-nay, I'm not a smart man . . . but I know what love is. ;-)

Thank you for the smile with my coffee this morning. Hope you have a great day too. :-)

Trée said...

Sweetest, some of these, not all, but many of them have a story behind them or at least some basis in my experience. For example, the first line about kids and rocks--I was going to the store the other day and as I was walking through the parking lot, there was a father and three small kids crossing my path with the father ahead and the kids behind. One of the kids spotted a pile of rocks and all three of them stopped as if they had discovered gold, just looking at those rocks in wonder and then picking them up to examine them. They were lost in their own world of discovery until their father yelled back for them to drop them rocks and get moving. :-D

Wamblings said...

I loved the very everydayness of so many of the things on the list. This is the kind of love note I would love to receive. Oh and I've found my quote so back to the other post. *grins*

Trée said...

Thank you W. I enjoy the simple things the most in life. I could be very happy with a rich cup of coffee, a soft chair and a good book. :-)