Friday, May 16, 2008

505. Larger than Life

Interview on the beach, my feet and hers unshod, heels planted in the soft wet sand, warm water rolling and receding between our toes. In a cloudless sky, the morning sun lays its warmth upon our shinny faces as we stare with squinting eyes into the endless steel-blue horizon. The surf seems to suck the breath from us as it races back to wholeness, a parental healing, before the next wave fills our lungs with fresh, clean sea-scrubbed air in the rush to greet us again, playful as children at a wedding reception pulling and tugging with a frayed rope. Our thoughts, in concert with our rhythmic breath, play on the music of the lazy warm waves like a spring breeze with laundry on the line; and for the longest time neither of us say anything.

T: Does the water remind you of home?

K: Somewhat. It looks very similar but the feel and texture and smell are quite different.

T: How so?

K: The water on Hyneria was much softer, slippery and I suspect had a slightly different molecular structure. I wish I could explain it better, but it felt wetter, was less inclined to bead. The sand, too, had a different feel; more clay-like and slightly darker in hue. Where this sand absorbs the sun and increases in temperature, the sand on Hyneria, year round, maintained a constant warmth--never too hot nor too cold. I miss the carpet-like feel too.

T: Interesting. Do you mind if I change the subject? I'd like to ask you about The Hood.

K: Not at all.

T: Give me your first impressions.

K: Surprised. I had an image in my mind that bore no resemblance to what I saw that first day and what I came to know over time. In my mind, based on everything I'd heard, he was a monster, a creature that took pleasure in another's pain, power hungry, arrogant, egotistical, manipulative and physically repulsive. I imagined him as a mass murderer, someone without conscious, pathological, convinced beyond argument in his own intelligence and knowledge, someone with a vision that would brook no interference, someone who took what he wanted when he wanted it, someone who had long forgotten what it was like to need, to want, to be without, someone insulated from reality, someone living in their own world--in short, someone madly delusional.

T: Well, that begs the question, if he was not these things, what was he? What did you come to know?

K: It's complicated. You sure you want to go down that road? This isn't a ten minute conversation.

T: You have no idea how intrigued I am.

K: Okay. I'll begin with this. The Hood was larger than life. He was one of those rare individuals that simply is not like the rest.

T: Charismatic?

K: More than that. Much more.

T: You're going to have to explain that.

K: Not sure I can. The sense is more experience and feeling than thought. In his presence you feel as if he is not of this world, not in good or bad way, but from the way he walks and talks and thinks and moves and stands and sits and converses and questions and listens and looks, from the way he ponders, his curiosity, his intelligence, his touch, his vision and past and experience; his taste in all things tangible and intangible. And, his pure physical appearance; the bearing, the posture, the tilt of the head, the shape of his nose, the clarity in his eyes, the breath of his hands, the stoutness of his shoulders from which hung the most magnificent robes. Take all of that, if you can, and try and wrap your mind around such an individual, one which controls, leads, rules billions of subjects that live on thousands and thousands of worlds and yet, when you are in his presence, you feel as if you are the center of his universe, as if there is nothing more important to him at that moment than engaging with you, listening carefully to your answers.

T: Sounds almost as if you admired him?

K: I wouldn't say admired. Perhaps I came to see the limits of my own judgments, my own assumptions, the limits of my own understanding. I came to see that the universe is something more than just our thoughts about it. And, in time, I came to see something I'd never seen before--my destiny. And here is what is interesting. Without The Hood. Without him being who he was, needing what he needed, engaging me the way he engaged me, I'm not sure I would have . . .

T: Would have what?

K: Can we take a break?

T: Sure.

K: The morning is slipping away and I'd like to go for a walk before the sun gets too high and the wonderful warm colors fade.

13 comments:

Autumn Storm said...

No-one but no-one does the cliffhanger quite so well. :-D Good thing you've taught me patience or I would be stomping my feet and begging at this stage to know what, what her destiny was, what path it was that the Hood turned her upon, and how she imagines things would have been otherwise. Such a wonderful chapter, full of warmth and softly-spoken words, squinting before the horizon had something to do with it of course, but I saw and heard the two of you together and it felt so right and comfortable, like old friends rather than the interviewer/interviewee relationship of previous Q and A posts. Perhaps it is her manner, perhaps it is the way she responds.. Thoroughly intrigued, as is another, to hear more of the Hood and to learn for myself just how far-reaching shades of grey in this case will be. Her description of him, all this while he has been mostly in the background appearing only every so often, and though there has been curiosity in regards to what, why and who and all the rest of those questions, not more so than now, where I find myself grateful for the opportunity that is about to be bestowed of understanding (to whatever extent you give us) just who the Hood is. Like a luscious flow, steady and rhythmic, never a rock to bounce, regardless of style, regardless of subject matter, each in their own way, this was, I can only repeat, another perfect chapter. Good stuff, sweet stuff. :-)

Trée said...

How'd you like that metaphor of the ocean as parent to the frolicking waves as children playing and tugging at our toes only to be pulled back into the whole by mother ocean? :-D

The Hood, as I've mentioned in comments before, is perhaps the most grey character in the entire story. His hue changes depending on where you are looking from, which facts you take into consideration, whose side you see yourself on. He is all things and no things, good and evil, a creature of vision who seems to only see what he sees.

Not sure how many of these chapters I'll do. But I suppose we will need to learn what exactly it means to say this was Kyra's destiny. :-D

As always your kind words warm my heart. Thank you Sweetest and Sweet Dreams when you get that far. I'll put the coffee on. :-)

Sherri Sanders said...

Very dramatic! I like a little anticipation at the end of the day. LOL

Btw, toothbrush is packed and I'm heading out. :)

Trée said...

Sherri, I think I need a little more anticipation at the end of day. Scratch that, I know I need a little more. ROFL!

I'll leave the light on and the door unlocked. I've got fresh carrots too. :-D

j said...

I had to stop reading to get this thought down. As Kyra is talking about The Hood, and the word Charismatic is mentioned, it made me think of leaders, specifically evil leaders, and their personalities. Surely some of them could be described as full of Charisma, Charm, Intriguing... How else could they gain the trust of at least some people, to subdue ALL of the people to their will? Hitler comes to mind. What if he was a charming man who was well educated, fun at parties, told good jokes, a good dancer, Persuasive....

I personally am only able to see him through the lense of the cameras that captured the images of Jews in concentration camps.

But what if I had met him with no historical knowledge? What if he had asked me to dance at a party, and talked a brilliant line of chat, and I thorougly enjoyed his company? How then would I feel about the images I mentioned. I think I would be more disgusted by the evilness because he was able to charm and fool me.

OK, going back to finish reading.

j said...

" I came to see that the universe is something more than just our thoughts about it."

I loved that sentence in particular for no reason that I can articulate. It can just stand alone.

She describes the Hood almost like a Superstar. The Next Universal Idol. His presence just IS and it is hard to get past that.

And here I am hanging. I would have said NO! You can't take a break! I need to hear this!!!!

And then Kyra would snap me like a twig.

Trée said...

Jen, the manifestation of evil is such that it rarely looks the way we imagine it to look. Ted Bundy was by all accounts a good-looking and charming man. Having studying 20th century German history for many years including grad school, I would say there is no doubt in the historical record that Hitler had a charisma seldom seen and few were able to resist the aura he projected. Even the strongest military leaders felt their knees go weak in his presence. The Hood is beyond charisma, if that makes any sense, although he does have it in spades.

Carry on. :-)

Trée said...

I kinda liked that sentence too. :-)

I've said the same thing many times before but never quite like that. Head of the class to you my dear Jen-nay. :-D

Wamblings said...

OK, clearly I should have read this before commenting on the chapter above. That's what I get for getting way behind and then reading newest to oldest.
Gahhhh I have searched all over for my glasses.
Anyway, I'm seriously intrigued by seeing Hood through Kyra's eyes. Maybe Hood isn't really shades of grey though. Maybe he is shifting hues. What comes to mind is the way Gandolf described Saruman's new robe, no longer white but shifting in hues. ummmm Hang on, I'll try to find the quote though I might not be able to on this computer since I've still not bought word.

Wamblings said...

gahhhhhhh. *fires up other computer* This may take awhile. I'll go look at another chapter while the old puter boots

Wamblings said...

"I looked then and saw that his robes, which had seemed white, were not so, but were woven of all colours, and if he moved they shimmered and changed hue so that the eye was bewildered."

So that is what I'm thinking with Hood. That beyond the many shades of grey there are also many hues and maybe (it being Hood) they are also somewhat grey but they are the kind of grey that hints of red or blue or yellow.

Trée said...

W, I love that quote and I think that is a wonderful way to view The Hood. I might have to steal that. :-D

Wamblings said...

T, Help yourself.