Thursday, March 20, 2008

480. Cathexis



After what seemed like hours, Em spoke: "You know, I have a list too." It was the kind of statement that was equally an opening, the kind of statement made between intimates, an unspoken communication understood by both. She had been captivated with his list of endearments, her heart working to believe, and in that labor, she built a world out of his words. That it came so easily was both comforting and scary. And she wondered if she simply wanted this too much, if, in fact, she was as blind as his father, convinced of what she wanted, perhaps needed, to be true.

"A list of your father?"

"No silly, a list of us. Do you want to hear it?"

Trev nestled his head between the pillows of her chest and closed his eyes as if to listen to a bedtime story in the warmth and safety of his own room, a place that existed more in his imagination than in memory. "Yes, I would like that very much," he said.

She tightened her arms about his shoulders. He smiled at the gesture, of the ride she was about to take him on and he pulled his knees into his chest. Her voice was gentle and she spoke as if speaking to herself and, whether she knew it or not, began to rock back and forth. He thought of being held in a rocking chair, her words as the wind, her arms a blanket. "I see a house, near the sea," she began. "Not big, more like a cottage with lots of windows and decorated with pastel hues of blues and pinks and yellows. The cottage is old, has a history, an ambiance, as a living thing would, and each time it creaks and groans with the wind or with our playful steps we feel welcomed, we feel protected, we feel cozy but most of all, we feel at home, like this is where we belong. The kitchen faces the sea and through the paned window we watch dorfels swimming by, a mother with her calves, leaping in the morning sun, their fins glinting as swords from the sea in the light. I open the window and let the cottage breath and the breeze is neither warm nor cool but rather fresh and clean, delivered from the ocean like a basket of fruit from a neighbor." She paused, her chest rising and falling like the waves in her mind and from a distance she imagined a trawler and a horn and then she laughed. "Hey, that's not funny."

"What?"

"You were snoring."

"I was not."

"Was too."

"I don't snore."

"Okay, what was the last thing I said?"

"You were telling me about your list."

"Right. And?"

"And what?"

"What was on my list?"

"Let's see."

"You were snoring!"

"Okay, maybe, just a little bit."

"I knew it."

"Well, you know why?"

"Tell me."

"Your voice was like a lullaby and the beat of your heart like a siren call, the warmth of your arms like the morning sun and the rising and falling of your chest like the gentle waves of the ocean. I felt safe. And I just . . ."

"Just what?"

"You know."

"Know what?"

"It just happened. Just like you said."

"What? What happened? What did I say?"

"Letting go. It just happened. I fell into you, into your voice, into your world, into your heart."

Em sighed. Trev smiled. "Go on. You were telling me about the cottage, by the sea, not too big not too small, the one with the paned windows and the leaping dorfels. Tell me more about that fresh and clean breeze."

Em smiled and as he started to smile back she tickled him and the two rolled on the floor like children who knew neither clock nor watch.

9 comments:

Autumn Storm said...

Like a gift is each of these. Yet another blissful sigh. The words are so much more than words here, the gentle lull of which he speaks and which I shall come back to as she speaks, the rocking matches the words, the cocoon of her embrace and across time it throws anchors both to Valla but especially to Caribbean Canopy, words like trust, open, me, us, falling and catching and embracing and the ocean breezes the warmth of the sun, and so to be reminded of that chapter as one read this, there was such a sense of home, so to speak.

Such a smile to believe first he fell asleep, that the words and the motion and the opening and the safe, loving embrace, the release meant that he had fallen asleep, one knew that though her words were important, indulgence and smiles would be the only reaction felt and expressed and then to know that he was listening, that he had heard it all, so beautiful, so sweet and so special. A perfect chapter, another. And along with the association to CC, it is more importantly a continuance to the chapter where she also wrapped herself around him from behind, except this time there are words too, what began then becomes complete today, not just an offering and a receiving, but a sharing, not just of two hearts beating close together, reaching, but an entwining. You wow with the beauty of it all. Am yet flying too high on these two to write beyond the wow, so again, may be back. What baby is joined by Silly. :-) Story as as amazing as ever, a great, great gift and I thank you so for sharing it with us. For as someone once said
'I lived a life on your blog tonight' roughly quoted, think that was Liz, and as Oliviah has always been so adept at saying, Aggie too, for the way you make hearts fill and grow.

Stargazer said...

This chapter is beautiful. You managed to express so much in few words. I love when writers do that.

Trée said...

Sweetest and Deb, thank you both.

Tom Evans said...

It is a pretty piece, but just a little cheesey eh? ;-)

Trée said...

Thanks Tom. :-D

Cha Cha said...

Just as in real life...it can be so scary when this happens.

I don't want their world to ever crash.

I want it to be just this way for them forever.

Trée said...

Strumper, 'forever' is a long time. What happens when Trev gets tired of Em and wants a little something different on the menu? I'm just saying. :-D

Cha Cha said...

And I was just sayin' it, cos this sort of thing is one of those things where it's just too good to be true.

Besides, if it's really real...when SHE wants something a little different on the menu TOO at some point ... they'll be able to work that out somehow for the both of them.

But, THIS ....this intensity...it seems so fabulous that it is almost foreboding in a way to me. That something somewhere is gonna crash. It makes me frightened. It's like at the start of a horror movie when everything is just super-duper great and cool and fun and all of a sudden...BAM. Blood and guts everywhere.

I love horror movies.

It's only human nature to want to play eventually. I don't think it's an awful thing. And i don't think it has to be destructive.

It's hard, but not destructive.

But, this feeling, this trust, this openness, this absolute total being one with each other right now, or trying. This sense of a world they create for one another...

I want them to have that. I do. Wanting that for them...is scary even.

I'm a romantic at heart. I can't help it. I'm so romantic that I believe that's it's possible to allow your partner to sample a tasting menu and STILL have this.

Call me crazy.

Trée said...

Strumper, I never know where the story is going to go so I can't make any promises with regard to Em and Trev. I will say I'm enjoying their relationship too and that is a good sign we are probably going to see more "cheesy-ness" before they come back down to earth/hyneria. :-D

I was wondering how long it was going to take for someone to point out that "she" might want something different too. Didn't have to wait long on that one. :-D