Saturday, March 03, 2007

246. Rainbow Owls


Kyra held Em tight, for whose benefit could no more be determined than what was twilight and what was dusk. In warmth, comfort found, and in silence memories roamed, triggered by a touch, a smell, or in this case, a simple phrase that opened the door to a time long forgotten (ago). Perhaps the coldness, perhaps the utter isolation, or perhaps the look on Em’s face and those simple words took Kyra back to Valla, to a time where need and want blended beyond perception.

“Papa, I’m scared,” said Kyra as she pulled her small four-year-old knees into her tiny chest as if she could roll herself into a doodlebug; her chin tucked in the valley of her knees, her eyes rolled upward like full moons looking toward the sun of Papa’s face. Papa sat on the edge of her bed, his tanned complexion appearing golden and warm in the soft light from the nightstand, one hand resting on the bed and the other on his knee. Trying not to smile, for fear Papa would leave, for why would he stay if there was not a fear to ease, Kyra took a breath of Papa, a scent forever consistent, from earliest memories to the dock, a scent that could only be described as a non-scent, a scent of purity, of freshness, of cleanliness, of a fresh ocean breeze, yet, however one wanted to characterize it, the scent was Papa and the scent was confidence and the scent forever held the key to a thousand memories.

“We are all scared Kyra. If you tell me yours, I’ll tell you mine.” Papa spoke to Kyra as an equal, as he would an adult in tone and delivery. There was no baby talk. There was no paternalistic patting of the head, of presupposition, but an openness to share without façade, to share on what he called a higher plane, which was to say, to share with the intent not to protect or even educate, but to share with the intent, to take the opportunity so clear in his mind, to build trust, to build relationship, to build the bonds of love and to do so not as one above the other, not as grandparent to grandchild, but to build a relationship in the flow of love with the acknowledgement that in that flow, there is no superior, no distinction, there is just the melding of souls into the universal mother of existence.

With the very thought that her Papa had fears too, that he was willing to share them with her, Kyra felt her heart open into the warmth of his being, as she would countless times over the next two decades. In later years, her mind often raced to find an incongruity in his behavior, to find a time when she felt she could not open herself to him, and she marveled at how he did it, at how no such time existed. Papa was not perfect, but he was perfectly open and honest and loving.

“There is a sound Papa, from outside. Be very quiet.” And so they sat for a couple minutes like two big radar stations on watch, ears attuned for the sound. “There it is Papa,” said Kyra, her arms springing from her knees like a lock released. “Did you hear it?”

“I did indeed.”

“See, I told you something was out there. What is it Papa?”

“It’s a mother owl singing a lullaby to her babies. The trees around our villa are filled with these beautiful creatures. In fact, they glow the most beautiful colors of the rainbow when they are happy. Would you like to go see them?”

Kyra looked up as if Papa had just told her of a magical tale, one just outside their doors.

“Let’s get dressed,” said Papa standing up. “Put on your slippers and a coat and I’ll go do the same and we’ll go sit and watch and listen.”

Papa came back a few minutes later and Kyra jumped on his back, arms around his neck and legs locked tightly around his ribcage. Papa could feel her small heart beating against his back and he smiled at the great adventure she must have felt. Grandma Kyra stood in the kitchen, a smile on her face, her robe on her shoulders, as they exited the back door.


“Kyra?” asked Em. “Sorry I didn’t mean to startle you.”

Kyra smiled, “Sorry Em, I was just lost in thought.”

“Are we going to be okay?”

“Have I ever told you about the time I first heard the rainbow owls back home?”

“I don’t think so.”

“Let’s grab a seat. I think you’ll like this story.”

Commentary within the reading: Rainbow Owls




Categories: Story, Kyra, Papa, Grandma Kyra, Emy

22 comments:

Autumn Storm said...

Ooooh, only read the title and am excited!!!! already. :-D

Autumn Storm said...

How can one describe feelings. I think, even you said as much somewhere here, though you do so with such brilliant qualification (so it seems to me anyway). In hope that I will be able to, I can only describe it as a flood of warmth that permeates my mind and heart and it happens so often when I read one of your chapters, in particular just lately there have been a series of them, and it has I think in part to do with the delving into the characters, Kyra, Von, Rog and Yul in these instances and just that whole familiarity that we/me have come to feel, that feeling of old friends that broke the surface in particular when the portraits were being published.
That said, the scene set here without doubt lends to that warmth too, tapping into memories that we all have, I hope, of something similar in the sense of being young and trusting the adult to take fear away, to make everything better, to guide the way, to shine a light.
There are as always some wonderfully noteworthy sentences within, those that one knows upon first reading will remain in memory in some form or another. And the whole section on his relationship with his granddaughter having no distinction will be one of those.
This part too: Papa was not perfect, but he was perfectly open and honest and loving.
Most indicative of their relationship and of Papa is of them going outside into the night, wonderfully neglectful of bedtime rules and those sorts of boundaries in the face of a learning, sharing and bonding experience.
It's a perfect chapter, perfect in how you broached it and how you pulled it back to what is currently going on. Smoothe and, well there's no getting away from this word, perfectly written.
Greatest flood came from toward the sun of Papa's face - brilliant! In that short sentence, all that he was, and was to her, is luminous. :-) It just shows in one fell swoop the great love that existed between them and I can just imagine his smiling face as he looked upon her sitting there, knees pulled in, tiny, trusting, inquisitive, fragile, strong, and well, in short, once again, with your words, you painted a fantastically vivid picture.

Trée said...

Audio for your listening pleasure my dear. :-)

Autumn Storm said...

The readings show through tone, pause and emphasis, etc, but commentary, and done this way even more so, are what give such a clear and direct view of the chapter from your perspective. I like that, though I think there should most definitely be clear room for own interpretation, I like finding out, as we do here, what precisely lies behind each sentence, what the thoughts were, the motivations etc, and whether there was (and there much too often is) anything that went straight over my head. I enjoyed this immensely - have to say, and a**es have no part to play, I really appreciate what the commentary added to my enjoyment, perception, contemplations and future memories of the chapter, see it as a real treat, every minute of it. Have to say what this audio also emphasizes is how deeply your chapters need to be read, very little is random, very little is without a very clear meaning or indication, and once again, I'm taken with your conciseness and decriptive powers, how you seem to manage to say more with fewer words. Highlight that - that's what you do, have an ability to cut to the chase, to rise to the emotion or idea or whatever it is that needs to be put across and you just somehow are able to take a few choice words and the meaning is clear as can be.
Wonderful, wonderful audio - hope to see very many more of the same type.
As for content, and what you actually said, I don't think I need comment on that as such, I heard, saw what you meant, and as said, it enhanced the chapter, the experience so to speak. :-)

Trée said...

Thank you Sunshine. In the past, I was reluctant to do such a long audio but then, like a feather, it hit me, no one has to listen if they don't want to. :-D

I love, love, love doing audio this way. I love taking the reader under the hood so to speak, and I would agree, there is always much, much more to these chapters than appears on the surface. "Seasons" is a prime example. Nothing in that chapter is what it seems and I did the audio for that one because I realized quickly from the comments that no one got it.

As long as you are listening (or as long as I'm in love with the sound of me own voice :-D), I'll continue to do audio commentary on the chapters I think could benefit. We have one coming up soon, that will most definitely have audio. I'm so excited about that chapter, I may have trouble sleeping until it gets written. It is one of those chapters that is so clear in my mind right now I almost don't feel I need to write it since it seems to already exist. :-)

Oh, and you are right. My view of what is written does not have to be the only view. Many, many times you have added elements to the story with your interpretation that I have since adopted as my own, which when I wrote the chapter I did not see. So, I say, the more views, the better. They can only add to the canvas of what is here.

For example, when you pointed out that Papa taking Kyra out (and Grandma not objecting) broke the bedtime rules, that is true. But, it had not occurred to me that this is part of what was happening, until you said it. So now, that is my view too. :-D

As always, thanks so much for your undying love and support for the story and everything I do here. :-)

Stargazer said...

Rainbow Owls, wow, how imaginative. What can I say? Here's another one of Kyra' wonderful memories, relayed so beautifully. Wonderfully descriptive writing Trée. I haven't listened to the audio yet, but I will!

Trée said...

Deb, thanks for your kind words. Part of me would like to write a whole book around Kyra growing up. I suppose there is a part of me that wanted a Papa, a part of me unfulfilled for that experience, a part of me that had a taste, just a touch, of what growing up with a Papa would be like and so, in many ways, these are my favorite chapters of all as I live vicariously through Kyra.

If you make it all the way to the end of the audio, drop me a note here. I have a bet with Autumn that she is the only one who has the desire and inclination to listen to 38 minutes of commentary on 780 words. :-D

Magdalene-Sophie said...

"Are we going to be okay?"

*smile*

Rainbow Owls...if i'm not mistaken the picture also has a place in Trebuchet, no?..I can only remember vaguely :)

ahh, Tree, pronouced Trey :)

Trée said...

Meg, it does. You will find many of the images I use for the story make their first appearance on Trebuchet. :-)

Anonymous said...

rainbow owls?!

wow
this one makes me go back in time...
Have to listen to you...

(*_*)

U

Trée said...

Thanks Uma. Enjoy the audio. :-)

SaffronSaris said...

Reainbow owl! This fractal so hits the nail on the head. I'm gonna have to ask you (again!) for permission to put this on my blog to illustrate a post I want to write.

Trée said...

Saffy, permission granted. Have fun. :-)

Anonymous said...

***catching up***

My favorite part of this post is the parapraph that talks about the scent. Does not every little girl (I know I did) have very specific scents burned into their memories, the comfort zone. That place that no matter where we go or how old we are we still call home....

love that part.

love the whole post, but that part it spot on.

wondeful work.

Meg

Trée said...

Hey Meg. I have so many scents, that for me, are tied to very specific events or people. Goat's milk soap is one of them, from Caswell-Massey (if I spelled that right). First time I ever went to the UK, I bought some of this soap for the first time. To this day, I cannot smell that soap without being transported back to England.

Thanks so much for your very kind words. So glad you liked this one. :-)

ChickyBabe said...

OOh... stunning! And so cute!

Trée said...

Thanks Chicky. :-)

Autumn Storm said...

Flooded all over again. And I've yet to listen to the audio..

Autumn Storm said...

Just this one post, the image, the words and the wonderful, wonderful audio incorporates just about everything that is so lovable about The Story. I would challenge anyone to read and listen and not fall as completely and irrevocably in awe and love. A choice it is to follow, the choice being whether one wants to know those things. (if one is not 'engaged' elsewhere)

Autumn Storm said...

Just this one post, the image, the words and the wonderful, wonderful audio incorporates just about everything that is so lovable about The Story. I would challenge anyone to read and listen and not fall as completely and irrevocably in awe and love. A choice it is to follow, the choice being whether one wants to know those things. (if one is not 'engaged' elsewhere)

Miladysa said...

Poetry!

Trée said...

Thank you warm heart. :-)