Sunday, March 18, 2007

255. Good is Good


[John and Rog on their way]

John: So how’d it go with Yul?

Rog: Good.

John: Good.

Rog: And Cait?

John: Good.

Rog: Really?

John: Yeah. Good.

Rog: I guess we’re good then.

John: Yep. Good. Like butter on a hot roll.


30 Minutes later . . .


Rog: Can I make a call from this thing?

John: Go for it.

Rog: (calls hospital) Yul. Hey it’s Rog.

Mairi: Sorry Rog, this is Mairi.

Rog: Oh. Can you put Yul on?

Yul: I don’t wanna talk to that bastard.

Mairi: She says—

Rog: I heard. Put her on anyway.

Yul: Frail him, he made his choice.

Mairi: Rog.

Rog: (big sigh) Yeah. I heard.

Mairi: Look, the meds they’ve got her on—

Yul: (interrupting) I’m not on no frailing meds. Tell him that. Now! Tell him!

Mairi: Okay, Yul. I’ll tell him.

Rog: What the hellocks is going on?

Mairi: I have no idea.

Yul: Give me the frailing phone. (Mairi does) Rog?

Rog: It’s me baby. I—

Yul: Shut the frail up. Look, you made your choice and I know where I stand. I’m not blaming you, you only made the same choice everyone else in my life has made. I only blame myself for being an idiot in thinking that this time things could be different, would be different, that you were different. And then I realized, it’s not you or anyone else. The problem is me. I’m the common denominator. So, it’s over. I’ve had all I can take. No more. Do you hear me?

Rog: Baby, I—

Yul: Frail! It’s a yes or no frailing question! Janus, why is that so frailing difficult.

Rog: Yes.

Yul: Good, because I want you to hear this next bit loud and clear. You ready?

Rog: Yes.

Yul: I want you out of my life. I want you out now and I want you out forever!

Rog: (Rog heard a crash and then a dial tone rang in his ear before he could respond; several attempts at calling back only resulted in a busy signal)

Mairi: (picking up pieces of the phone) You made yourself pretty clear. Why are you crying?

Yul: That Hynerian is the only one who has ever loved me.

John: So, how are things?

Rog: Good. Things are good.

John: Good. (looking sheepish) That’s good that things are good.

Rog: Yeah. Good is good. Right. Good.

Commentary/Reading: Good is Good



Categories: Story, Rog, Yul, Mairi, John Discovery

4 comments:

Trée said...

For those that listen to the audio, you will notice the reading, especially of Yul's main piece, differs from the prose--I think it is more realistic than what is written, which, maybe I need to go back to taping my dialogue rather than just typing it out. I can tell you, writing and speaking are two very different mediums and what sounds right when written does not always sound right when read. So, for those that can bear the audio, give me your opinion. Does the text as ad-libbed in the audio sound more credible that the prose as written?

Autumn Storm said...

Love the fractal, love the chapter! More after I hear the audio.

Autumn Storm said...

Either or in my opinion in regards to the audio versus the written. I would say leave it (them) as they are.

Had to smile at that first scene, let's dub it the 'good' scene, where once again it was a case of less is more. Singular words even, just dialogue, and yet the scene was as vivid and telling as the best of them have been. I liked how you compared this exchange to the first bout of a boxing match. Perfect. :-)
Makes one smile too watching them here having this type of exchange and knowing that very soon more than likely, their shared experiences and just plain old-fashioned time spent with no-one but each other for company is going to alter the way in which they interact quite drastically.

As for Yul, credit to the writer! Coming like a thunderstorm after the quietness of the chapter before, this outburst communicates so clearly (at least I imagine so) the incompatibility of what she is thinking and feeling at this moment in time. All that you said about this in audio, I was just nodding to. Nothing more than my own fancy, which trying to understand where anybody else is coming from always is, but I've as great a sense for what is going on in her mind and her heart as I have had for anyone else who has stood before me. Which may not be saying much at all. :-D But what it does say is that as always your writing is not only inspired but inspirational.

I liked this reading very much, was very intimate for lack of a better word.

Late night, early start, does not make for sensible comment writing, so I may be back when I've had some kip. Hope your journey was pleasant and quiet and that Arizona was happy to see you. :-)
xo

Trée said...

Thank you Sweetest. I have a very soft spot in my heart for Yul. I've been in her shoes, in the mode of self-destruction, that mode of feeling completely lost, forgotten, as if you matter to no one. So I empathize with her and I want to hug her and tell her everything is going to be okay, to just hang in there a little longer, that she has found something very special with Rog.

As always, I do so love your comments. Thank you my dear Sweetest Sunshine. :-)