Friday, February 23, 2007

243. The Last Memory


T
he last memory I recall before we were hit, still like a photograph in my mind and as clear as if I were holding it in my hands now, was Von’s peaceful visage looking overblown, as if his entire face had been terribly overexposed. I remember thinking how beautiful he looked in the light, and although I’ve said it before, I feel compelled to say it again, for there are moments, images if you will, that you are certain will remain with you, as vivid as the instant, for all your days; and Von’s peaceful white sublime face is one of them.

The flash could not have lasted for more than a second, and although I felt my body was stuck in slow motion, my mind raced like fire with wind on a dry day. I knew what was happening and I knew Von knew what was happening, and I know this will sound strange, but I simply couldn’t take my eyes off of his expression and there was a part of me that wanted that peace, that acceptance without resistance, I wanted to ascend to a higher plane of existence, and I knew, don’t ask me how, but in just a look I knew Von was in that place and I felt envious.

The sound of impact, for you have to remember Bravo had virtually no defenses, well, how do I say this; we felt the sound as much as heard it. Hynerians like to put things in neat containers with neat labels, this and that as Papa used to say, and so we tend to do the same with sight and sound and touch as if they were separate things. They are not. Every bone in my body rattled, my teeth ached, my elbows stung and my head pounded with a headache from the inside out as if the bats of hell had awoken and wanted out but could not find their way.

I looked at Von and his eyes looked without looking, they looked with the glassy appearance of the dead, with the look of not looking, and if you had told me I was looking at one underwater, one who had given in to the sea, I would not have argued. I saw movement and at first I thought there was someone else on board, that we had been invaded, violated, but then I realized the only thing moving was Emy and Von and myself, and we were moving not of our own volition, but at the whim of sound and light and impact. Like dolls we were tossed about and the very confines of our haven, Bravo’s bridge with edges sharp, threatened us the most and, believe me, the irony of being impaled by my own ship crossed my mind.

From blinding flash to utter darkness, of ship and mind, must have been less than a second or two. How long I was unconscious I could not say. I woke to the familiar coppery metallic taste of blood in my mouth, a pounding pulsating headache and the most eerie quiet you can imagine, which only made the throbbing of my head all the more noticeable. No hum of systems, no shuffling of crew from here to there—nothing. One emergency light shone, flickered as I recall in a rather aggravating way in the upper corner of the bridge and a small amount of light came in from the forward window. Upon that light I spied what I call the lump of Von and the slightly smaller lump of Em.

I pulled myself up, rubbed my temples, to no avail, and looked around through the dim light, trying to find my bearings. With my heart banging in my chest I went through the routine. Whenever you suffer dramatic injury, your body releases such a shot of adrenaline that often you never feel the extent of your own injuries. So I stood up, walked around, stretched and felt for blood until I was sure I was still whole and well, or at least well enough. Then I checked on Von and Em, without waking them, and they both seemed to be, at least outwardly, okay. I didn’t want to wake them until I had a better understanding of what had happened and what could happen and exactly what the condition was of Bravo. I also knew, if they were injured, I couldn’t take care of them, although I would feel the need to do so, and that need would hamper what I could do. As Papa always said, never let what you can’t do interfere with what you can. So they remained in sweet repose.

I walked, rather stiffly, to the central control panel, and through the haze of light and the fog in my mind I began flicking dead switches, over and over again, as if one more flick would magically fix everything. All systems were down. When I say all, I mean, with the exception of temporary auxiliary emergency power, Bravo was for all intents and purposes, dead in the water. If whoever or whatever attacked us wanted to destroy us, not that we could have done much about it before, but if they wanted to take us now, in any way, shape or form, there was nothing we could do. To make matters worse, our sensors were down, so I had no way to determine when the next blow would come, what direction it would come from or even who exactly had or was attacking us.

As you might imagine, with the surge of adrenaline pumping through my system, my first response was defense. Well, we were defenseless, and I rationalized, it was just as well I let Von and Em sleep, for if another blow was coming, what purpose would it serve to wake them. And, just for a moment, for the second time, I envied.

With the passing of each minute, I felt the fear of imminent destruction pass and I relaxed. As I collapsed in the captain’s chair, the familiar warm venusian leather felt oddly cold to my touch and a bolt of lightning shot through my aching body. I jumped up, and quickly perusing the minimal data available from the auxiliary power, realized the threat we faced was of a different order. You see, we had no communication, we had no power, and in a matter of days, we would have no heat and no air.

Categories: Story, Kyra

12 comments:

Autumn Storm said...

Oh my, this is Kyra, leader of Bravo, strong and resolute, independent and responsible for her crew. It's the fact that we have her there that makes it less, well, scary than it might otherwise have been - which is a good thing, for sure, not sure I could have coped with this chapter in real time. What sparks the anticipation for the continuance and the excitement around this one are the hows. How when things seem like they are heading down a one-way track to disaster, do they manage to turn it around and end up okay, how does Kyra live to tell the story in other words.

Couple of things that caught my attention was Papa's advice about not letting the things that we cannot do get in the way of those we can - roughly quoted from having read it just the once, which depending on how close that was will give you some idea of what I thought of that sentence. :-)

One other would be the whole concept of adrenalin and how it will come to the rescue in crisis, during tragedy, in the most stressful of situations and how it allows us to do what we otherwise couldn't have done - coped, fought, etc.

Third would be the sense of peace about Von, started in the previous chapter and carried through to here, and I can easily understand the envy. Few would be capable of such a thing, such simple acceptance. Or perhaps in some cases it depends on the situation. I for example remember one time when I was involved in a pretty serious car crash which had that window of realization, mere seconds, but in those seconds I knew we were going to crash head-on and I knew it would be a serious impact. In that moment, I sat back and felt relaxed - I know, sounds crazy, but it was so. So, not being able to change what was about to happen is what evoked that calm in me that day, but this is something different of course, this is as Kyra described, once again very loosely quoted, a peaceful acceptance of the hands of fate, a complete trust.

Little worse for wear tonight :-), but I do know this, I know that once again, you have created a 'chapter', one to follow the ones that came before, one to precede the next, and it just made the story even better. More amazing. More.

xo

Anonymous said...

Hi!

Thanks for sharing that insightful e -mail..

Yes,have to say that this [I couldn’t take care of them, although I would feel the need to do so, and that need would hamper what I could do.] is so profound...

(*_*)

Uma

Trée said...

Sweetest, this is one of those chapters that I can see so clearly in my mind as it would be in a movie. I see the 360 panning of the camera; I can see the closeups and the slo-mo; I can see the flash and in that instant the speed of the film takes off, pans as bodies fly in the blast and then another close up of eyes, of Von's eyes and Kyra looking at him.

Than, after the blast, the hazy dim light on the bridge and Kyra getting up, of blood on her lips and her licking them with the realization of that metallic copper taste, checking on Von and Em as they lay motionless. I can see as clear as day what she looks like, the expressions on her face as she realizes what has happened and what is happening. In many ways, so much of this chapter is visual. If this were a screenplay, you would see just a few stage directions and then the rest would be left to the director for creative control.

Chapters like these are sometimes the hardest to write and sometimes the easiest. But most of all, chapters like this one beg to be seen, to be on film.

Trée said...

Uma, thanks for highlighting that phrase. Life is choices, many times and the choices are sometimes difficult and often carry emotional baggage that distorts our ability to do what should be done instead of what we feel must be done.

I have always loved that phrase of never letting what you can't do keep you from doing what you can. It has helped me through many dark days of uncertainty and doubt where I was stuck on a weakness.

As always, thanks for the very kind feedback. Always deeply appreciated. :-)

Magdalene-Sophie said...

if you could see your chapter in a movie, why not try make it? :)
i have always thought of people who write but never compiling thm into a book and publishing their stories. but mmhmm, some people prefer it that way..

and yes, Von's sense of peace is fascinating.. :)

Trée said...

Twenty four hours later, I still cannot get this scene out of my head. I see Kyra in her black leather. I see the damaged bridge dimly lit with a bit of grayish haze, which we see as starlight silently bears witness to the destruction. The camera pans around Kyra as she stands still before the main window, just staring into space. We see a close up of her face, her sapphire blue eyes full with unshed tears, and then the camera swings left and pans out as we see her solitary stance against the backdrop of the bridge. The camera does a full three sixty and as it returns to the right side of her face we notice her breath has started to form condensation in the cold.

And here, the camera stops and we watch her chest expand and fall, and like a thoroughbred, her presence is no less impressive, nostrils flaring against fate, bearing dignified in the face of daunting odds. And our eyes, like the camera, are stuck, fixated on the contrails of her breath, how it comes and goes and the whole room starts to feel cold, desolate, lonely; yet, our admiration for the thunder of Kyra comes through the eyes as loudly as roiling thunderheads on the summer plains of western Kansas. She need not move, need not speak. Lithe, resolute, determined and transcendent, this is our Kyra.

Slowly she raises her arms and closes her eyes and a soft musical score plays and we know without asking, this will be her finest hour.

Trée said...

Meg, thanks for the kind words. I've written three different answers to your question and deleted them all. I suppose I just don't have an answer.

I too am fascinated with Von's reaction and I'm still not sure if I know exactly what happened with him, but fascinating is I think the right word for it. :-)

Stargazer said...

The fractal is great; I really like it, both design and color.

And your description of the 'movie scene' is dead on. I could see it as I read your words.

Trée said...

Thanks Deb. I love the clock-like workings of this image and it could mean so many things. I suppose if ever a chapter deserved to be shot as a scene in a movie, this one would do. I still see this chapter more than read it or write it, I just see it, if that makes any sense. :-)

~d said...

*I should come thru and just read Autumn Storm! She is like Cliff notes! I wanted to ask-to make certain this was Kyra...

Trée said...

Danna, yes, this is Kyra. :-)

Autumn Storm said...

Amazing woman, no wonder you love her so. :-)