Monday, February 02, 2009

A Rare Meme (kinda like leap year for me): 25 Random Things


1. I'm afraid to do a meme like this for fear, the fear of being less than revealing, the fear of being misunderstood, the fear of being judged and rejected.

2. For the first five years of my life, I was an only child and loved the feeling of being singular, special; and I've never completely recovered from the resentment of siblings messing up my perfect oneness. :-D

3. People tell me I have unique talents and abilities. I've never been able to see what they see.

4. When I was eighteen months old, I had my tonsils removed. My voice has always been soft. So soft that I often have to raise my voice to be heard, which is then misunderstood as me yelling. In college, when I went out to bars, I simply gave up trying to talk with anyone since no one could ever hear anything I was saying over the din. When speaking within a group, I am often ignored and I never know if people just aren't interested in what I have to say or they just can't hear me. Either way, I've developed a distaste of group settings and prefer spending time alone or one-on-one.

5. I have an innate sensitivity so refined, daily life is often painful. I avoid conflict at all cost. I even turn off movies and TV when the scenes turn hostile. If at all possible, when I have a fly in my house, I will work as hard as I can to shoo the fly out as opposed to swatting it. One morning, I found a mosquito in my bathroom. I had seen it the night before, couldn't kill it and was surprised to find it still alive in the morning. Still, I couldn't kill it. I'm either completely absurd or completely insane but I couldn't tell you which.

6. Until around my junior year in college, I had the sense that I was destined to do great things, to do something unique and remarkable with my life. I cannot pinpoint the moment, but I remember the place when that idea slipped from my mind as a flower floating out to sea, never to return, silent but for the gentle undulations of a sighing sea.

7. There is rarely a day that I don't question my value as a father, husband, neighbor or co-worker. My personality is so self-critical, I thrive on the kind words from others as bread and water. Without those kindnesses, I'm not sure how long I would survive.

8. In the past few years, I've become something other than what I was. There are days when I hardly recognize myself and what I see makes my stomach turn. I have always felt that the only thing that can come out of you is what is in you and there is something in me akin to an alien creature, eating me away from the inside, but it never makes itself known and I know it only from the shadows. My fight is not to succeed but rather to survive. To see another dawn is triumph. And I fight this battle alone, for the battles of the soul are solitary affairs.

9. I have an obsession with books. I own more than a thousand and I keep buying, even though I know I will probably never read most of them. The bookstore is my chapel. I find more peace in the aisles than I do in the pews. Today I purchased an old classic, Art & Fear, which about sums up my life.

10. I love writing, something I did not do until three years ago, for I had been told, and I listened, that I should not pursue a career with the written word. So, for about a 25 year period of my life, I penned next to nothing. Why write when you can't. Right? I mean experts are always right. ;-)

11. Nothing has given me more joy over the last three years than the comments I have received on my writing. There were days, weeks, where the only thing that kept my head above water was the kindness of strangers. I learned anew, the power of a kind word, not from a book, or a speaker but from direct, first-hand experience and I am here to say, I know of no greater power than the hand of compassion, kindness and love.

12. About three months ago, one day, I just stopped wearing my glasses and contacts. My sight is no better than before, but for some inexplicable reason, I don't mind nor do I notice and I've been wearing glasses for close to twenty years or so. The brain is an amazing thing. Just don't get too close to me on the highway.

13. A couple years ago I felt I hit the wall with stuff and instead of figuring out how to acquire more stuff, my mind started figuring out how to simplify, how to have less, to de-clutter and enjoy the birds in the orchard as my dear Ms Dickinson would say. I still like stuff, but, assuming I have money in my bank account to pay my bills, I'd rather have a good cup of coffee and the peace and quiet to read, think, write, draw, sketch and continue to touch as many lives as I can with kindness.

14. I'm not sure if the internet is a blessing or a curse.

15. Got my first Mac about a year and a half ago and can't imagine having to use a PC again.

16. I rediscovered music about three years ago and now have over 3,000 songs on my iPod and rarely go a day without listening to my favorite artists.

17. There is no other place I would rather be than near the ocean, listening to a chorus of waves dance upon a carpet of sand, to hear the gull as the sun rises and sets on a clean horizon.

18. After my father passed away and I saw him silently slip from sight and then memory, nary a trace on the surface of life remaining, life as ocean self-healing, I asked myself how my life, in this moment, if I were to pass, would be any different. From that moment I turned a different eye to art and prose, driven by a desire to leave some mark behind and my great hope is, one day, long after I am gone, my son will see what I have written and turn to his spouse, and with a wet eye, say, my dad wrote this.

19. My hairdresser, of more than twenty years, will arbitrarily change the part in my hair from left to right and from right to left. I never say anything to her.

20. I drink more than I use too and almost always alone. Rarely do I drink with others. What concerns me most is not the drinking but knowing I am more creative with than without and this desire to go someplace in the world of imagination that is otherwise locked is not a battle I like fighting. The good news is, I find music works almost the same way and that a song, melody or lyric will also unlock areas of creativity that I cannot find with song. Now, when I put song and wine together, well, that is a special creative place and some of my best work has come at those times.

21. Speaking of creativity, I am not and have never been a morning person. It is usually best not to speak to me as it is that I don't speak to anyone, before my third cup of coffee. However, and this I find most fascinating, in that window of semi-consciousness, I have written probably half of the Story I write. As my fingers are moving on the keyboard, the experience in this state is akin to an out of body experience. I literally feel as if the words are coming from elsewhere, that someone else is writing and there are times I feel guilty to say this is mine, for what has been created in that window is as if a gift and not an act.

22. I cry easily. I am moved to emotion as a feather on the breeze. I have cried driving down the highway as I envision a scene to write in my Story. I have cried watching movies in which no one else cries. And I have cried with the death of every pet I've ever shared my life. I could try not to cry, but to do so would be to deny myself, to be something other than what I am, so I cry without shame and, I suppose, will do so for all the days of my life.

23. I would rather feel pain than feel nothing. I would rather be slapped than ignored. I would rather be kicked than forgotten. I find a truth in pain and illness that eludes me in happiness and health. I wish it weren't so, but to say otherwise would be less than honest. Maybe one day, the coin will flip and the inverse will be true. But I'm not holding my breath.

24. I don't believe in rules but I love them all the same. I try to live by one rule only, Don't be an Asshole. Unfortunately, I violate my own rule more than I would like.

25. I don't like meme's. This is only the second one I've done in four years. Don't expect another anytime soon.

16 comments:

Autumn Storm said...

You are more lovely this morning than you have ever been.
There are actions that we make, deeds that we do, achievements that become our successes, where it is apparent to us, that there was a before and an after and that what we did was beneficial or challenging or changing or special, but I wonder whether how other people perceive, those that have been touched, and the toucher themselves, corresponds and I doubt the two ever really do. We do after all what we are capable of doing and so to judge it as something extraordinary would sit uncomfortably, in other words, and I am sure there are dozens of examples similar in life as in life here, constant examples in life as in life here, where your presence has been invaluable, special in a way that would have made those seas sway in joy and satisfaction, were you yourself more aware. Number 18 was mentioned in a comment here once and it was by far the most moving insight that was ever given into the heart, mind and soul of a poppet, and though I feel out of place saying such a thing, I am running out of time this morning and haven't the time to find a better, another way of saying it, before or after, this could only but happen, your writing embeds itself in hearts unrelated, unconnected, so for it to remain undiscovered by the most connected is not possible, and before and after aside, seeing the within here upon the pages of DT, you do not have to be read for those words to be spoken.
Wonderfully done, you give great meme.

Trée said...

18 does bring a tear to my eye, no matter how many times I read it.

Dzeni said...

Great Meme! Thank you so much for sharing this part of your soul with us. It could not have been an easy thing to do. If it makes you feel any better, I also cry too easily - although half the time its your fault :)

Dom said...

Your story is touching ... it's part of yourself and it's not easy to share as well. You are remarkable ... Impossible for me to express what I feel in a language that is not mine .... Let me keep all the rest in my heart and in my mind, everything that I can 't say in english or I should do it in French ....Thank 's for sharing unlimited ... Thank's for to be : YOU !

Trée said...

Thanks Jenni. As you know, I don't do many Memes and I'm not sure why I did this one. My own direct experience has been whenever I have completely opened myself to another, I've been judged and rejected, and had a dozen "shoulds" thrown at me. You only get hammered so many times before you learn the pain is not worth the risk and so you become a little bit less. Did feel good to write this and post it. When I started writing it, I had no intention of posting. As for the tears, I never knew. Kleenexes on me. :-)

Trée said...

Pierre, your english and your effort to comment in english is very, very touching and heartfelt. Some things don't need or want language to communicate and your comments, or the spirit behind them, is one of those. Feel free to comment in French if you like. Between my two years of French and translation software, I can probably figure out what you are saying. ;-)

Dom said...

Trée, Well thank's for this opening. Language is a barrier in communication and expression of perception as we feel and as we would like to share with the author. This is also valid when I read your texts ... I don't translate perfectly your feelings and that is what I regret. Write as you do is valuable and I admire you. I admire what you are through your prose.

For all that I wish express, I will do it in French sometimes ... This will remind you of your two years of study!;)

Mona said...

23.Maybe one day, the coin will flip and the inverse will be true.

It does so invariably. That is when you discover that aloneness is ultimate.After each profound experience you feel alone. Aloneness is utterly beautiful and profoundly free. To be wanting is to be lonely, not alone. Aloneness misinterpreted looks like loneliness. Loneliness means when you miss something or the 'other'...which is any excuse to drown your consciousness, that takes you away from your self remembrance and unburdens you from your awareness.
Loneliness is the negative state, when the other is missed, when you start searching and seeking even if it for pain. That is because you are so empty right now, you would take anything to fill yourself with, even pain would do...
Aloneness is immensely beautiful. It means the moment when nothing else & no other is needed, when you are enough unto yourself, so enough that you can share your aloneness with the whole existence. So inexhaustible is it, that you can pour it into the whole existence and it will still remain there. You are rich when you are alone. You are poor when you are lonely...

The Anti-Wife said...

So many thoughts to which I can relate. It definitely gets better with age. Trust me on that one.

snowelf said...

1. I respect your fears and completely understand them. So many times I hold back how I really feel for fear of judgement as well.
2. I am the oldest child too, and while I am very happy my brothers are in my life and feel very close to them, I still am pretty private to them and usually we only talk on a family function basis.
3. It's true.
4. That makes total sense.
5. I don't like to kill bugs either. I don't even like to kill spiders. I will--but I don't like it. If they are on the ceiling, I just leave them and wish them to crawl away. Because of this I got bit really bad by a spider two years ago and got horribly sick. (I even blogged about it) ;)
6. Do you believe in the butterfly effect? I absolutely do, and I think you may have already been the cause of greatness without even knowning. I think of all of us as cogs...every move we make affects another.
7. You matter. Always. Even when it doesn't feel like you do. Trust me on this.

I have to leave work now, but I'll finish the rest later.

--snow

Trée said...

Snow, your comment is like a hug, point by point. Thank you. I'll dream of butterflies tonight. :-)

Trée said...

AW, thanks. Trust is the one thing I can afford. ;-)

Trée said...

Mona, what can I say. Your comments are always so uniquely you and I feel blessed to be alone in your presence. :-)

Trée said...

Pierre, you are making me feel all warm inside now. :-D

j said...

Your meme makes me want to do a meme of my own called "My twenty five responses to Tree's twenty five random facts." I could comment on each fact about you, and share ways that we are similar. This was so heartfelt and so revealing. I guess the only way to respond to the meme as a whole is to say that I like you Tree! I really like you :)

Trée said...

Jen, my intuition tells me we are more alike than not, notwithstanding crimson versus purple and gold. ;-)

Let me just say this, your comment here is as a warm blanket fresh from the dryer on a cold day. Thank you. :-)