Saturday, February 07, 2009

645. A Good Story


"Papa, what are you doing?" asked Kyra.

"Counting money," replied Papa as he stacked one bill upon the next, the stack growing quite large upon his desk. "I'm trying to see if we have enough."

"For what?"

"For all the smiles you've given me."

"And do you?" asked Kyra, twirling her impish hair, looking almost ghostly in her white floor length nite-gown.

Papa shook his head. "There is no amount of money I would trade for what you've given me."

"Then why count the money?"

"Show, my girl. Not tell. You know how I teach," said Papa with a wink.

"I see. Well then, can I trade two smiles for one bedtime story?"

"Race you there."

Grand saw the blur of child and husband, laughing and giggling up the stairs, her eyes wet in the joy shared, the joy multiplied from their hearts to hers.

__________

Von approached the bridge and spied a solitary figure sitting, smiling, her long melanic hair catching starlight in shades blue. "Mind if I join you?"

"Not at all Von," said Kyra. "I could use the company. And a good story if you've got one."

2 comments:

Autumn Storm said...

Seeing Papa always brings smiles. Wonderful homecoming. :-)

Trée said...

I've missed Papa too. :-)