Tuesday, February 03, 2009

Goodbye


You matter
helium words
chop wood
carry water
show me
I matter

You hurt
concrete blood
finger stained
photo eyes
show me
I hurt

You reach
snake arms
slither here
slime belly
show me
Now

Now
I need
you
Now
to matter
to heal
to reach

Look as
if I matter
Look as
if I were
water
Look as
if the moon
was ours
Look as
one looks
goodbye

Hold me
warm to cold
Hold me
flesh to dust
Hold me
mind to memory
Hold me
goodbye

I can't
hold
I can't
stay
I can't
not
and I feel cold
cold before the fire
cold as night
cold as a hole
Cold as infinite
goodbye

Say goodnight
Say goodbye
Give me this
Give me a goodnight
Give me a goodbye

3 comments:

Autumn Storm said...

Dramatic tones in places, quieter, urging in others, this piece would be outstanding performed, it has such clear, explicit voice to read one hears the emotion within, the shift and alteration revealing itself in word choices, repetitions, length of line, each line, whether four words, whether just a single one, is a full exposure. A poem much, much longer read than written. Penetrant, bound once begun, demanding response as heartfelt, left aching to see wants filled.

Trée said...

"Helium words"

I would keep this one for just those two words.

Autumn Storm said...

That is the one that will be remembered, the one most prominent within when it was read. Direct simplicity, I know I need not elaborate, done many times.