Saturday, June 14, 2008

521. Capiche?



"My father was a surgeon. When I was three, he left. Cut me and mom out of his life. Mom was brave, always held out hope he would return, kindled that belief in me. I grew to hate her for that. Then I grew to hate the lack of empathy and compassion in my own heart. I lost a father I never knew. She lost a soul-mate. I was not a help to her. When I told her I was going to med school she just started crying. Being young and stupid and selfish, I just walked away, as if I was the victim. The idea of her sitting in the house alone, abandoned by the two men in her life she loved is not a memory I like sitting in.

"So I grew up at the window, so to speak. I watched the drive. Watched every hopper pass by. My ears developed a sensitivity to the sound of a vehicle pulling in. I just knew, he would return. I just knew it. Even on the dock, I was looking for two, not one. Of course, as you know, neither showed. Those first few days after departure were, and this is saying a lot, perhaps the darkest of my life.

"Can you understand? I'd like to tell you how great I am. But this is me. I have a lot of growing up to do. I'm not there. Yet. I know I should be happy for Kyra. I know I should be standing with open arms to greet her. But logic and emotion are two different things. Emotion, for me, is the stronger. There are times I'm overwhelmed. Times I'm just an observer in my life, as if I'm riding rapids and hanging on for dear life. No control. None. I just try to hang on. I don't try to win. I just try to do as little harm as possible and often that means a monumental effort just to keep my mouth shut. Sometimes that means leaving. Just walking away. And when I do, for self-perservation I wonder, is this how dad felt? Did he have to leave? Was he tormented by the same demons? Did he gift those demons to me--are they in my genes? Did he leave because of me? Think about that. Your mom and dad loved you. But think of growing up wondering if your dad hated you, hated you so much he left. Not just left, but left and never returned. Gone like the light before dusk, only this sun would never rise again. Imagine living in that darkness. Eternal, only you wake up every morning and run to the window thinking this is the day, the day the sun will rise, the day I will see the light again, and day after day you are greeted with nothing but interminal darkness."

Trev paused as if remembering he should breathe. Then he continued.

"As soon as the door shut, I lost control. Imagine needing to vomit, and as the urge hits you run for the bathroom, and somehow you are able to hold it within until you see the throne, and with that sight, you lose all control and make a mess of everything. As soon as the door closed, I lost it, consumed, the air sucked from my gut and out my lungs. The pain so great within my skull that banging my head to release the demons, to release the pressure, seemed the most natural thing in the world to do. The blood actually tasted good, the way familar ground under foot feels good. You know you are frailed up when pain is the best thing in your life.

"Want to hear more?"

Em searched his face, her eyes as lasers, trying to beam into his soul a light mere words could not. "Baby, I told you before and I'll say it again and I want you to hear me and hear me clearly. I want all of you. Do you understand?"

Trev bowed his head.

"Look at me. Wherever you go, there you are. There is no escape from yourself. So stop running. Or," she smiled, "if you must run, run to me, run to my open arms. Capiche?"

"You know, you're not really a callow limpet."

"A what?"

Giggles replaced words and arms and legs as rope twinning. Holding his face close to hers, his eyes looking like a frog, she said, "Let's go greet Kyra."

"Okay."

5 comments:

Autumn Storm said...

When I initially read, I didn't remember having read the part about his father's occupation, but I did have to pause after the next two sentences. The simple, tragic revelation, a statement, a circumstance, a background that as he comes to explain to some extent one knows instantly would have had bearing upon his life and the person that he is, for better, for worse, and above all, for what is.

How do I explain just how far Trev as a character reaches. Watching through Em's eyes, watching him watch her. Watching the two of them together. Beloved. Stunningly beautiful. Perfectly flawed.

I grew to hate her for that. And the ache settled still greater.

As matter-of-fact as it is emotional, the revelations were superbly written, the child speaking within the adult, the longing and the wanting, the waiting by the window and ears that became attuned, and the words of his mother, unknown, unseen, the quick touch all the more acute for it, and the deep regret knowing tears were added, knowing too that she more than likely understood and forgave.

I want all of you. To hear those words..and in regards to the chapter, the experience of reading it, it aces all else and the final result is joy, hope and eyes forward.

Wonderful, wonderful chapter, were I not so sleepy, I'd stick around for a while. Maybe tomorrow. :-)

PS I would love to know more about the image, why you chose it.

Trée said...

The image represents father and son, one fading away the other falling to pieces, drifting, unable to chart a course of reunion, a feeling of helplessness. How's that? :-D

A lot I could say. Lets just say no plagiarism here. ;-)

Autumn Storm said...

:-)

Still more. H

Reading this again is just as powerful. I just want to say quite simply that this is a stunning piece of writing. Heart-clenching to watch him standing there, to listen.

j said...

"So I grew up at the window" and "wherever you go there you are"... those are Tree statements. Profound in their emotion.

I loved this chapter and I love Trev for what he said too. I have a hard time understanding his character at times, but when he opens up, his soul is as clear as glass.

Jen

Trée said...

Well, maybe the glass in your house is clear, but in mine, glass and clear are not two words we use together. ;-)

As always, your kind words are much appreciated. :-)