Tuesday, April 22, 2008

493. Storms of Dislike

Papa and Kyra were on the third day of a week long camping trip. Standing before the lake of eternal wisdom, they watched as a storm rolled over the mountains.

"Papa, perhaps we should leave."

"We could," he said, continuing to watch the sky in the distance.

"Well, don't you think we should start packing?"

"If you think we should go." Again, Papa stood without moving, his shoulders relaxed and his eyes clear, watching.

"I don't like storms. I think we should."

Papa remained still.

"Papa? You're not moving. You don't like storms, do you?"

"I suppose its not a matter of liking or not liking. Storms are. They perfectly are. Nothing added. Nothing subtracted. Just a beautifully perfect expression of nature. Here, come stand with me. Now open your arms, palms upward and turn your face to the sky. Feel that?"

"Feel what?"

"That cool breeze. Nature's calling card. And you know what?"

"What?"

"You only ever feel that breeze before a storm."

"Okay."

"Kyra, many never feel that breeze." Papa knelt down and took Kyra's hand. Her large round eyes opened to his, each reflected in the other. "I never want you to miss that breeze, to miss the harmony of the universe, to resist what is."

Kyra's eyes held wide without blinking. Rain, soft drops, begin to fall. "How do I know I'm going to miss something?"

Papa smiled. "Whenever you use the word like or dislike."

-----------

The servitor approached Kyra and hummed in position until she opened her eyes. "The Hood will see you now. Please follow me."

10 comments:

Autumn Storm said...

Another. Feels like home, like reuniting with the core of the story not that we have really been away, not at all, but this and the chapter below, Papa and Kyra and the lessons, the simplicity, simplicity as in recognizable truth, in such everyday, real-as-life frames. This is the backbone within the body of love that your writing evoked from the beginning. Like cuddling up in a warm duvet and riding a roller coaster all at once, spectacular and comfortable, as simple as it is full, and utterly, wonderfully perfect.

Trée said...

Chapters like these are most interesting to me in the sense that I feel as both Papa and Kyra, in both roles, wanting, needed to be both. In a sense, these chapters are like conversations with myself. Like I am in a play with two characters and I am playing them both. :-D

Cha Cha said...

Oh, this is all so very exciting...

Mona said...

You miss something whenever you mention like or dislike

I love the profound statements you make. ( you seem to be amazingly 'full' of them)

One does misses, when one ceases to be Natural...

I hope you are doing good Tree... I see your canvas has grown more colorful of the late! :)

Trée said...

Mona, thanks for stopping by and leaving me such nice words. I appreciate it very much my friend. Hope and trust you are well in body and soul.

Trée said...

Strumper, I feel the same way about your Strumpliciousness. :-D

j said...

*sigh*

This is a wonderful chapter to the story. 'Like or dislike' - mind made up and not open to possibility.

Papa is WISE. I wish I could guide this way.

A wonderful moment between the two and what a way to segue (sp?) into her meeting with the hood. Remembering to open her mind.

I'll read more later. I am praying for the slow pace of summer. Love being a mother, but my time is not my own right now!

Jen

Trée said...

Jen, I know what you mean. I got in from Phoenix after midnight last night and this morning had a soccer doubleheader with the first game at 8am and the second at 11. I'm needing a nap. LOL

I love the Papa and Kyra chapters. The heart and soul of the story in my mind. Glad you like them too. :-)

Have a wonderful weekend Jen. :-)

Wamblings said...

OMG One minute we are having this beautiful lesson about accepting and embracing life and the next we are confronted with Hood. Well done.

Trée said...

Thanks W. :-)